Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What is this beautiful creature?

Dunnellon, FL

found 3/6/2013 in Citrus springs, Florida. It is smaller than a nickel

Thumbnail by drivingmebuggy
Minot, ND

Nymph of a long-horned grasshopper (family Tettigoniidae); this group includes true, false, and bush katydids, some of which can appear in both green and pink morphs.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Really nice pic. and specimen.

Flapdoodle, I'm a novice at bug ID but was curious if this is Psinidia fenestralis, Longhorn band-wing grasshopper which appears to be common in Florida? If it is I will offer to set up a guide page so that drivingmebuggy can add this nice image to DG guides for future reference.

Dunnellon, FL

Thank you Flapdoodle for your quick reply. I had an idea it may have been in the grasshopper family, but the wings looked like plant leaves.
Shorthog, I would be glad to add this picture for a reference. I just joined DG yesterday, so I am a total novice on how I would accomplish that.

Minot, ND

Definitely not Psinidia fenestralis - see http://bugguide.net/node/view/260290/bgimage for a nymph of this species.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Flapdoodle, I'm confused. You indicted that this was a grasshopper but gave the family name for katydids. I agree that it looks like a katydid nymph. Since some oblong-winged katydids can be rarely pink, could this be a nymph of this species?

Minot, ND

Sorry for any confusion, shorthog, "long-horned grasshoppers" is a generic term for the family Tettigoniidae; as it includes many insects other than katydids - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tettigoniidae

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Flapdoodle, thanks for the reference. Never to old (70+) to learn more. Here's a real pink grasshopper which I saw in Feb. It's a nymph of Northern green striped grasshopper.
It is now my understanding that the generic term "Long horn grasshopper" refers to katydids and not true grasshoppers. Thus drivemebuggy's specimen is a katydid nymph.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Minot, ND

's O.K. shorthog - I'm 70+ myself, and every day, I usually find something else I've been unaware of (often pointed out to me by my wife)... ;-)

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Drivemebuggy, if you are satisfied with the ID you can close the thread. In addition, you might be able to get genius / species via ID request at BugGuide.net if you wish to pursue further.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.