Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: What is this beautiful creature?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drivingmebuggy
Dunnellon, FL

March 6, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9441481

found 3/6/2013 in Citrus springs, Florida. It is smaller than a nickel

Thumbnail by drivingmebuggy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 7, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9441617

Nymph of a long-horned grasshopper (family Tettigoniidae); this group includes true, false, and bush katydids, some of which can appear in both green and pink morphs.
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9442400

Really nice pic. and specimen.

Flapdoodle, I'm a novice at bug ID but was curious if this is Psinidia fenestralis, Longhorn band-wing grasshopper which appears to be common in Florida? If it is I will offer to set up a guide page so that drivingmebuggy can add this nice image to DG guides for future reference.
drivingmebuggy
Dunnellon, FL

March 7, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9442468

Thank you Flapdoodle for your quick reply. I had an idea it may have been in the grasshopper family, but the wings looked like plant leaves.
Shorthog, I would be glad to add this picture for a reference. I just joined DG yesterday, so I am a total novice on how I would accomplish that.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 8, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9442773

Definitely not Psinidia fenestralis - see http://bugguide.net/node/view/260290/bgimage for a nymph of this species.
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9443024

Flapdoodle, I'm confused. You indicted that this was a grasshopper but gave the family name for katydids. I agree that it looks like a katydid nymph. Since some oblong-winged katydids can be rarely pink, could this be a nymph of this species?
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 8, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9443103

Sorry for any confusion, shorthog, "long-horned grasshoppers" is a generic term for the family Tettigoniidae; as it includes many insects other than katydids - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tettigoniidae
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9443255

Flapdoodle, thanks for the reference. Never to old (70+) to learn more. Here's a real pink grasshopper which I saw in Feb. It's a nymph of Northern green striped grasshopper.
It is now my understanding that the generic term "Long horn grasshopper" refers to katydids and not true grasshoppers. Thus drivemebuggy's specimen is a katydid nymph.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 9, 2013
3:30 AM

Post #9443515

's O.K. shorthog - I'm 70+ myself, and every day, I usually find something else I've been unaware of (often pointed out to me by my wife)... ;-)
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9444400

Drivemebuggy, if you are satisfied with the ID you can close the thread. In addition, you might be able to get genius / species via ID request at BugGuide.net if you wish to pursue further.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America