Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Tiny Insect that looks like a grasshopper

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9442334

I found a few dozen of these on the counter surrounding 2 small, potted citrus trees (indoors). Some were alive; some were dead. I noticed an occurrence of these same, soft-bodied insects a few months ago, but without my glasses, I wrongly assumed they were dried petals off the citrus blooms. They are only about 5 mm. in length, and even under a microscope, I don't see any evidence of wings. They look like tiny grasshopper nymphs with mottled and spotted, brown coloring; short, banded antennae; barbed legs; and large eyes. The heads are the same shape as those of a grasshopper, only much tinier, and the thorax and abdomen are both plated from head to tail. Sorry for the poor photos, but my camera was not able to pick up much of the fine detail. Can anyone tell me what they are and what I should do to prevent them from reproducing again?

Thumbnail by 1alh1   Thumbnail by 1alh1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9442339

Here's another photo of these mystery insects.

Thumbnail by 1alh1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9442378

I'm not an expert but these bugs look like Wrinkled grasshopper (Hippiscus ocelote) nymphs in an early instar stage.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9442425

They do look like Wrinkled Grasshopper nymphs except for the size. From what I've read, even the eggs of Wrinkled Grasshoppers are larger than the insects I posted. I requested an ID from BugGuide, too, so maybe someone from that site will confirm your ID. Thanks for responding.
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9442843

The folks at BugGuide are very good and hopefully can give you an ID. It is hard for me to visulize the size.
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9443038

Speaking of very small bug with sometimes absent forewing, check out pygmy grasshopper http://bugguide.net/node/view/106 and http://bugguide.net/node/view/103995
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9443266

The experts at BugGuide have identified these nymphs as grasshoppers belonging to the genus Melanoplus, a large group of rather large grasshoppers. A more specific ID cannot be determined since these nymphs don't have any differentiating characteristics. As it turns out, I brought a small container of sedum indoors that had been outside during the summer and placed it near the citrus trees. Eggs were laid in the container during the summer, and then began to hatch indoors. I drenched the pot in a solution of imidacloprid, so I don't think I'll need to worry about future hatchlings. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America