Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring: No spring has sprung this year!

Communities > Forums > Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings SpringReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 7, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9442420

2013:
And it is time to start thinking yellow blooming bushes around the houses and on the mountians just a hint of blush as the red buds get ready to bust open.
Yeah, this March started out not so bad. Oh sure the first and second day of March there was a little spring like snow flurry, and sure the flurry built itself up to an inch - giving a coat of white to all the pastures. It melted right off and then the sky turned a dark steel blue and flurried another inch.

What a nice ending to winter - I though!

All was well -- just a late snow!

But wait-- -then we get a snow storm that is wicked as any in January. A cold north wind kicking up snow devil. The temperature tonight will be 24 degrees. I just had a mother hen hatch out two new babes yesterday. I have her tucked away in the metal building under a light - but still that is cold. I have several cows ready to have a calf, I sure hope they hold off now! Some spring. Sure would be bad to lose a calf way up in March!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 7, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9442421

P.S.
There was a very large mansion next to my kid's elementary school that I drove by for years. It had a very stately yard. They had lots of hedges neatly trimmed back. In the spring to my surpise they bloomed heavily yellow. So it is possible to maintain forsythia as hedges. I however; with just one -- seem to lose control and as the years slide by it just gets bigger and rounder. I guess I need to cut into some wood to control it.

But they are pretty as a hedge - esp in the spring.

And so much for global warming -- I am cold!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fond memories Dutchlady1 7 May 5, 2009 11:31 PM
Love and Hate darius 7 May 25, 2009 8:10 PM
An ardent admirer of forsythias. heavenscape 1 May 5, 2009 11:33 PM
We are responsible DianeEG 1 May 5, 2009 11:24 PM
MY FORSYTHIA HAD NO BLOOMS LAST TWO YRS SABELLA 1 May 5, 2009 11:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America