Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: Is it too early to prune?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 4, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9443660

The forsythia 's are not in bloom, but my roses are putting out new leaves. Should I prune now, or should I wait?
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9447572

Marie - my micro-climate is just a tad warmer where you are. I pruned all my roses 3 weeks ago. I don't know if it snowed in your area late last week. Photo below is the front bed when it was snowing. Rose canes poking out of the snow. Then by the weekend it was like 50 degrees. LOL! Go figure!
So this past weekend I did some re-arranging, transplanted about 5 rose bushes to make room for more dahlias, transplanted some monster lily bulbs bigger than the size of a baseball. and planted more varieties of lilies.

So go ahead and prune them now. They'll be fine. I don't follow the forsythia rule at all. When I see the tulips sprouting out of the ground, it's time to prune the roses.

I'm awaiting for some compost to be delivered, I had to pre-order Dr. Earth fertilizer in one of the nurseries around here since it's economical for me to get the 25 or 50lb bags. As soon as I get them I'll start amending the soil too.
Azomite as well. But they're not getting shipment until end of March.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9447934

We had about 2 inches of snow last week and yes were were up to 50 by that Friday. I don't think we are that far off as far as climate. I will get out and get those roses done. I want to move a few things too. Hoping that the weather holds out so I can get it done. I think we are having those April showers early...lol.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9447998

So, how is your Avant-Garde clem? Is it still struggling?

Thumbnail by Tex68
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9448189

I kept pinching it back all last year as it grew in the pot. Not letting it get to long and leggy. When I took it out of the pot to plant it this fall, the roots were so big I was surprised. I am hoping with that root system that I will see blooms this year.

Looking at yours I think I might need a bigger Trellis.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2013 3:27 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America