Is it too early to prune?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

The forsythia 's are not in bloom, but my roses are putting out new leaves. Should I prune now, or should I wait?

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Marie - my micro-climate is just a tad warmer where you are. I pruned all my roses 3 weeks ago. I don't know if it snowed in your area late last week. Photo below is the front bed when it was snowing. Rose canes poking out of the snow. Then by the weekend it was like 50 degrees. LOL! Go figure!
So this past weekend I did some re-arranging, transplanted about 5 rose bushes to make room for more dahlias, transplanted some monster lily bulbs bigger than the size of a baseball. and planted more varieties of lilies.

So go ahead and prune them now. They'll be fine. I don't follow the forsythia rule at all. When I see the tulips sprouting out of the ground, it's time to prune the roses.

I'm awaiting for some compost to be delivered, I had to pre-order Dr. Earth fertilizer in one of the nurseries around here since it's economical for me to get the 25 or 50lb bags. As soon as I get them I'll start amending the soil too.
Azomite as well. But they're not getting shipment until end of March.

Thumbnail by Tex68

We had about 2 inches of snow last week and yes were were up to 50 by that Friday. I don't think we are that far off as far as climate. I will get out and get those roses done. I want to move a few things too. Hoping that the weather holds out so I can get it done. I think we are having those April showers early...lol.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

So, how is your Avant-Garde clem? Is it still struggling?

Thumbnail by Tex68

I kept pinching it back all last year as it grew in the pot. Not letting it get to long and leggy. When I took it out of the pot to plant it this fall, the roots were so big I was surprised. I am hoping with that root system that I will see blooms this year.

Looking at yours I think I might need a bigger Trellis.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2013 3:27 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.