Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: fish cleaning scissors

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 34, Views: 179
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9443672

this really isn't a recipe but it's used in the kitchen so thought I would start here...can you recommend a good scissor to clean fish with? cut the fins & head & tail off & trim the stomach lining? I have purchased numbers of different brands, none work...they crush the flesh rather than clean cut thru it...any suggestions would be appreciated...Thank you...Deb these are small Kokanee fish that I clean...

This message was edited Mar 9, 2013 4:47 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9444242

I use very available and not too pricey, KitchenAid scissors for fins and tail but have used just my knife for all prep for many years. You will need a sharp chef's knife for the head. Don't attempt to remove the head with scissors. I use a Santoku shaped blade but any thin bladed, not too long, knife will work. Use hemostats for pin bones. They run almost perpendicular to the filleted flesh. The hemostats come either straight or curved. I use curved. I prep a lot of salmon and trout relatives so this is what I'm talking about. I usually don' use the scissors but use my knife and the hemostats.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 14, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9449263

How do you clean your fish ? For small perch , I scrape the scales off with a spoon , gut and cut the head off . Then deep fry or pan fry after battering .I don't remove tail or fins . All the people I know clean this way .

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9450366

These are Kokanee and I bake them with cilantro, garlic & onions inside...my husband guts them while he's still fishing during quiet time, brings them home to me and I cut heads & fins & tails off...I have found in the past when I'm doing 20-25 of these little devils that a scissor makes quick work of it...the one I used for years has flat worn out & I can't find the same quality replacement...I then have a tool I purchased from Cabelas that I scale them with...I used to use a plastic dish scrubby but this new thing I bought last year is wonderful...Now he brought fish home yesterday & I sharpened my boning knife and it worked OK...Just would love to find another good scissor...Thank you for your suggestions...I appreciate very much...I don't like fish, I don't like killing anything for any reason but it came down to I REALLY don't like smelly drains & smelly kitchen after my husband would clean them in the kitchen sink...so I took it over...I wish he'd just do the whole thing while he's out on the water...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 15, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9450747

A fish cleaning station outside is wonderful . An old double sink with a sideboard ,or make it as fancy as you like .Water from a hose hanging overhead with a nozzle that cuts off and a drain pipe /garden hose to catch waste water , direct it to plants .It sure makes a better place to do that smelly job.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9450794

that's the way we started but Husband has decided he wants to be in the house...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2013
11:01 PM

Post #9453086

I clean fish inside when we're at the beach house (rental we use every year). The mess is pretty well contained, in part because we found these amazing fish scalers... I googled and think they might be made by "challenger." They're plastic, and a very clever design. You push the scaler forward, against the directions the scales lie, and you can sort of just bulldoze the scales off the skin -- no bits flying through the air, sticking becomingly to your nose, etc.

I put a cutting board down to protect the counter, then lay a couple sheets of newspaper on top of it to contain the mess (just roll them up when I'm done). I agree that a thin, sharp, strong knife is best if you're heading & gutting... and it's hard to beat an actual "fillet knife" if you're filleting. Most of the mess is left on the paper, but I do a final rinse in the sink.

I think a lot of folks cut off the fins and tails on pan fish so more of them will fit better into the pan. I don't do that, partly because my nieces & I like to crunch on a nicely fried tail! LOL But I agree, those Kitchen Aid scissors are sharp and sturdy enough to do the job. I picked up several pairs at a Dollar Store last year, can't beat that! You could also look for the "kitchen shears" from a good knife line, like Wusthoff or Henkels. I'm hard on kitchen scissors, so I look for ones that aren't just plastic down to the screw-together point... I want more metal, so they're less likely to bend or break.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9453330

I have to very old Henkel santokus (one for each house) that I use as my all purpose chefs knives and a Sabatier filleting knife. The KitchenAid scissors are up at the cottage but in Atlanta I have a pair of Cutco super shears. http://www.amazon.com/77-CUTCO-Super-Shears-purchase/dp/B00279LFO2 They are pricey but will last a lifetime and cut anything. Still, I can't recommend cutting fish flesh with scissors over using a knife. Critter, we like to gnaw crispy skin and tail as well. :)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 18, 2013
10:52 PM

Post #9454322

I like the crunchies too.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9454708

Good tips for sure !!! Thank you...I have Henkel knives so will just sharpen my boning one up and go to town !! I love the idea about the newspaper...never thought of that and then I can still bury the whole thing in the ground/garden plot... Thanks again !!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9455028

I always used to compost fish scraps but don't now. Years ago I left a compost container of scraps in the screened kitchen vestibule after a late dinner. After getting ready for bed I went into the kitchen to turn out the lights and I could see from the upper door pane there was the cutest black kitten that had somehow managed to get into the vestibule. I opened the door to the kitchen to scoot it out but in it came. Might not have been much to this story if it wasn't for the fact it was a baby skunk. We managed to block off the kitchen and shoo it out the door without incident. Close call though. As if that wasn't bad enough, our dogs are super motivated to break into the fenced compost pile when fish scraps are buried. So which is worse; skunk spray or two very large dogs smelling like rotten fish?

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9455205

We have raised beds in our fenced in orchard...and the orchard is on another level of our property so think I'm kinda safe...I learned my lesson the year I buried them under my tile roof flues and my Jack Russell dug under & up !!!! yes, Yuck...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9455444

Oh -- wanted to add that for sturdy, cheap scissors, it's also hard to beat Ikea. I've got a pair of kitchen shears from them that I've been beating up for 4 or 5 years now with no apparent wear/tear. They also make sets of "regular" scissors (small med large, with blue yellow red handles) that are good enough for most purposes. I have several sets, and they "float" around between the kitchen drawer, the study, the upstairs guest/craft room, and my plant areas!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 21, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9457065

Critter , how old is Joyanna now ?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9457356

3 1/2 -- can you believe it? Often, I think she's 3 going on 13... and then some days, she's clearly just 3! LOL She likes to crunch the tails on pan-fried fish also. She can be a "pecky" eater (lives on air some days), but not "picky," as she likes a lot of things you wouldn't consider "kid friendly" (her favorite thing from the Wegman's olive bar are these big black greek olives stuffed with a whole pickled garlic clove).
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 21, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9457616

Good grief ,garlic , at her age .
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9457643

and any kind of legume... green beans, green peas, snap peas of course, but also pinto beans, black beans, red beans & rice, lima beans, lentils. Her tastes vary. For a while she was wild for edamame at a local salad bar... now it's garbanzo beans... I think it's partly because she likes to say the words! I think she's the first under-10 kid I've met who much prefers whole grain bread & tortillas to "wonder bread" -- and she has the choice, because DH isn't much for whole grain. I've been making barley & quinoa lately instead of pasta, and she loves that too. It's so much fun to have her in the kitchen with me, stirring, tasting, asking questions... yes, it probably takes twice as long to make dinner that way, but I can't think of anything else I'd rather do with that time!

Sorry, I know this is way off track for this thread... what can I say... proud/happy mommy here!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 22, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9457960

Well , not to sound brown nosing ( ha ha ) but every child deserves a mother like you , to open so many doors of living the fullest .You should have had a dozen . I applaud you and D H
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9457992

You know, the idea of a dozen sounds really wonderful to me, although there are occasional days when I think God gave us the number we could handle -- one. LOL It does tug my heartstrings, though, because she wants a sister (or even a brother) so badly. Another mom & I were pushing each others kids on the swings last fall, and the other gal asked her if she had any brothers or sisters. Her immediate, hopeful response was, "Not yet!" She sounded so certain it would happen that the woman turned to me to ask if I was expecting. Tug, tug.

She'll just have to "settle" for a dozen cousins. She thinks "cousins" are more fun than anything, anyway! And they all just adore her. As one of my nieces exclaimed, "Finally, we have a cousin! And not just a cat-cousin!" ROFL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 22, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9458166

The woman at the swing , that had to be the complement of the day .
Sorry I led everyone OT . Just catching up on one of our favorite kids on D G .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9458183

Never say never. We had an only until we were almost forty and then added two more in one year. The first gave us grey hair and the last two kept us brake dancing. :)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 22, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9458262

Two in one year ? I couldn't have handeled two in three years .
Be home around the 10th .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9458267

Two in nine and a half months. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 22, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9458506

Thanks , I can't wait to get on the road

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9460098

Little kids, they are the best !!! our grandson graduates this year, turns 18 yrs old on 5/11...just can't imagine it...they live in Reno NV & our son's family lives in Sacramento CA so we will be going home in May !!!! can't wait...haven't been home in 3 yrs...All You Guys have a Happy Day !!!! Deb

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9460107

Happened to ask my son (who is total fisherman) what he thought out scissors for fish...he said "CutCo", that's what he uses for different things but said he only uses his filet knife in cutting up fish...I think CutCo it is !!!! now just gotta start saving some extra money to buy some...they aren't cheap !!!!

Thumbnail by Depsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9460120

You will like the Cutco scissors, Depsi, but they are expensive. I paid close to a hundred dollars for mine and that was over twenty years ago. They are more substantial than other kitchen scissors, disjointing for easy cleaning. I don't believe in paying extra for a name but certain things are worth the price. I didn't think it would be worth it 'til a friend left me hers to try out. BTW, those are some nice looking fish!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 24, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9460281

Depsi , catfish ! From here they look like blues . As much as I eat fish , catfish is my all time favorite and the "fins" spines definitely need to be cut out or off .

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9460344

The fish in the pic are walleye from Gifford WA...that pic wasn't too kind to my husband...he's been a pretty sick guy this past year and it shows...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 24, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9460622

Look like cats . Have never eaten walleye .DH looked like he felt puny . Here's hoping he feels better this year . Hugs to you both .
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9460761

I fish so much I've got a permanent outdoor fish cleaning table built in our side yard. Overhead lights, electrical outlets for knives, sink, running water, and a metal chute and bucket for fish heads and unwanted 'parts' (which get buried in a compost pile).

Things are done differently in different parts of the country, I guess - but everyone around here filets fish with an electric knife. It takes three longways cuts per side - one beside the spine from the gills to the tail, one to separate the filet from the skin, and one to remove the ribs. The filets are boneless it takes about one minute per fish for cleaning, including clean-up of the table. Nothing edible is wasted, you can see light through the the part that's discarded.

Admittedly, this wouldn't work with trout or anything in the trout family, but I don't fish for trout.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9461142

I've heard of using an electric knife, your fish cleaning station sounds exactly like something we could us...when my husband brings home 25-35 fish it gets ugly...
as for eating WallEye, yes, we do and LOVE IT !!! I think it's the best eating fish and I don't like fish at all...the bluebacks are mostly what my husband fishes for here...
He does look puny, had triple bypass the preceding Feb and one of them failed in June, he's had lots of problems since then...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 25, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9461762

Depsi , things will be better . My DH had triple bypass and couldn't lift a gallon of milk for three months . They discovered one day and air lifted him that day for emergency surgery next day. After three months , the dr's told him to do what he felt like and one month later , had him on the end of a no 2 shovel in the desert putting dirt into a dry washer to recover gold . Will your D H have another surgery to fix what failed ? I hope he does OK and when they get it straightened out , the world will look so much better to him . A little prayer in your direction for his recovery.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
11:15 PM

Post #9462113

I found a YouTube video that shows exactly how we filet fish with an electric knife. Not shown is the last cut, in which the man will "rib them out", meaning to cut the ribs from the filets.

This method is fast, efficient, and it produces boneless filets with no waste - every fisherman I know does it this way. It wouldn't work on trout, though - their rib bones are too fragile and their skin is too thin. I even clean catfish this way when I catch them, though it takes a lot of care not to cut through a catfish's skin when getting the skin off the filet. For all the other fish we have around here, this works real well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOYv8SWM9eA

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9462518

Digger, thank you for the prayers & good wishes...there is nothing that can be done, it's in too convoluted an area on the backside of his heart...We just do one day at a time...
Ozark, that was pretty darn interesting...Thank you...
last night I cleaned 11 fish Bob had caught yesterday...I used the newspaper idea & my boning knife for the heads, tails & fins and used a pair of kitchen scissors I have to trim the belly...worked beautifully...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America