fish cleaning scissors

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

can anyone recommend a strong sharp set of scissors to be used to cut the head off, tail off, trim the fins off and trim the underside.....these are small kokanee fish.....every set I've bought has just crushed the flesh rather than cut thru it.....any suggestions will be appreciated.....Thank you, Deb

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe kitchen shears? I've used the Fiskars brand of kitchen shears for years and they are very sharp and well made. I just stick them in the dishwasher when I'm done and it doesn't seem to dull the blades. I don't use scissors to clean fish, so I can't comment on how well they work for that task, but just about any filet knife works fine for me. My BIL uses an electric knife to clean fish and it works amazingly fast.

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

I have this question on another forum & I've gotten so many comments about an electric knife.....in my case it wouldn't work.....these are Kokanee/BlueBacks that are fragile + small fish.....
Thank you for the suggestions !!!!

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

Perhaps a utility blade would work?

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Now that's a really good suggestion too...my son said to use "CutCo" brand knives....they are legendary but OMG, are they expensive....I had an IV port in my hand the last time he caught a bunch so got of cleaning them.....He had to do it.....Thank you for the response !!!!

That IV port doesn't sound very fun... Think I'd rather clean the fish! Hope you'll be back to that soon.

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

I had 8 failures, we were running out of veins.....I was on a antibiotic drip twice a day @ the hospital for a staph infection in my kidney & bladder....it's still quite serious but at least no more trips to the hospital for now....none of this stuff is ever fun.....Thank you for your good wishes.......it's walleye season now and so far everywhere he's fished for those there has been cleaning stations....Have a wonderful day !

Hope you are winning the infection battle! You have a wonderfully upbeat attitude, and I'm sure that helps hour body fight.

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

I go Tuesday for more tests...urologist is getting to the bottom of it !!! do you like fish? when we smoke & can some this season I'll send you a jar if you'd like? Deb

Somewhere in the foggy distance of my childhood I learned to like pickled herring, and I eat my share of canned tuna, so I'm sure I'd enjoy that very much! Maybe we 'can' work out a trade...I'll let you know what I've got, and gladly send you something as a thank you:>)
I'm planning to order a case of cranberry's from the store in town and can up a ton of cranberry sauce. It's spoiled me for store bought!
Let me know how the doctor visit goes, hoping for the best for you!
Julia

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Hi Julia,
starting another round of sulfa based antibiotics + Cipro....... this will make the 3rd round of Cipro, two rounds of Macbid + the week on the IV drip of Zyvox since February....says the staph infection in my one remaining kidney has cleared up but the bladder is another thing.....will be seeing a surgeon for the gall stone this coming Tuesday.....urologist said the bladder was the worst he can remember in a long time.....said "it's very angry" and I can attest to it being horribly painful....when I go back in two weeks if this hasn't cleared everything up then he'll do a biopsy.....I lost a kidney to cancer in 1997 so that keeps playing in the back of my mind.....is this a return??? I guess I'll know soon enough.....have lots of things to keep me busy until then.....my friend put together an art class this morning for 6 of us......the basics of drawing......I've gotten bit by the mixed media bug so am really looking forward to this.....when I get back I'll fill you in on how it went and what I learned......Have a wonderful day & I'll talk to you in a bit......Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi

What an adorable little guy! And it looks like you camp in style!!
How was the art class? Mixed media..using paint, pencils, chalk etc.?
I really hope you are doing very well.

What an adorable little guy! And it looks like you camp in style!!
How was the art class? Mixed media..using paint, pencils, chalk etc.?
I really hope you are doing very well.
Here are some get well flowers:>)

Thumbnail by Mountaindweller
Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Oh, how pretty !!!! Petunias are the happiest flowers, right there with zinnias......The class was wonderful, my girlfriend has just the right house for something like this, it's an entertaining sort of a setup so the instructor was right in front of us with an easel and we were able to gather around but keep some space between us too....she served delicious scones.....anyway, it is pencil work and I really enjoyed it ! I thought it was just a one time thing but she's going to come every Wednesday and we each pay $10 so she's reimbursed for her time.....How lucky can I get ?? mixed media is what I'm concentrating on here at home, tho....I'm working on a journal right now where I'm making the "me" factor from some of my baby clothes......If I had the time to get in there and concentrate from beginning to end....Have a great day ! my little 2 lb puppy in the picture is KatieBug and she's now almost a year and weighs right in around 7lbs.....she's the cutest darn thing.....then we have a 9yr old Boston Terrier named Gus.....our fur kids.....Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi Thumbnail by Depsi

I guess they do look like petunias! Those are desert four o'clocks, a native out here.
That art class sounds very nice! Did she give you a model to all draw, or have you work from your imagination? I like to get out the colored pencils every now and then, but everything looks like a 5 year olds pictures!
Those two sure look comfy! I bet the little ones the boss, huh?
We have four furry kids, a shepherd coyote mix and a boxer, a Manx and a calico. They all have such different personalities, it's amazing.
When we were looking for retirement land my hubby talked about Idaho, I guess he'd been there hunting with buddies years ago. But I get cold when it gets below 70 degrees, and he hates flying bugs, so we ended up here! But I know Idaho is a beautiful state, and I can see that in your picture, too.
Here's a pic I took Friday at sunrise. I was trying to catch the effect of the sunlight through the plants. It seems like everything either has spines or dagger leaves, and they get a halo at dawn and dusk.
Hope we get some real rain out of this weather, but the overcast is nice anyway!

Thumbnail by Mountaindweller

I hope you are doing well, no news is always worrying. But hopefully your days are so full of puppies, art classes and fishing you are too busy to right! :

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

I'm so sorry, everything is going along well & I apologize for not writing.....trying to catch up from being down but don't have too much stamina so I limp along.....am feeling better with each day.....I've seen 3 different drs this week, hopefully the tests that were taken last week will tell the tale....your picture is absolutely awesome ! just gorgeous ! alot of people from here are snowbirds, don't want the cold....I'm from ND so I say Bring it on !
I'm hoping for some relief from this heat soon....it's never in the 90's in May here....miserable and we didn't get too much snow this year or rain so I'm petrified of what the forrest fires will be like....are you familiar with Dayton O. Hyde? he wrote a book about his "Don Coyote" My Grandfather and Uncle worked for him at one time.....Katie is really young so she pretty much entertains herself.....Gus is an impatient old man and just runs right over her.....she's just sweet and lets him have his way.....I wish Bob would agree to a cat, I'd love to have a cat and a parrot or at least a parakeet......anyway, really gotta get busy and again, I'll stay in touch better, I promise !!!!

Thumbnail by Depsi
Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Julia, yesterday another urologist looked at my bladder & he is in agreement with my urologist....Bladder Cancer so I go in Monday for a biopsy to determine how severe the diagnosis is and what treatment plan they'll use.....Three different options......I've had cancer 4 times now.....wish it would get the message, know I'm going to fight it like heck and move on somewhere else....just holding on 'til Monday.....How about you, how are you doing????

What a tough thing to hear! You have fought this and won before, so I know you can again!
My weekend was packed...hubby and I worked on the last paneling, trying to get this house all finished up before the summer heat. I will be thinking of you today, and praying for your peace and strength.
I have relatives that have had and recovered from cancer and they strongly believe that what you eat can help. Fruits and veggies, less coffee and alcohol, trying to get their bodies ph less acidic. I know that sounds strange, but apparently it helps. You probably know all about all of that, I just want to help somehow!!
Be strong, keep up the positive attitude,
Julia

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Julia, got thru it today, been sleeping the meds off.....Dr is very optomistic that we are dealing with a severe infection rather than Cancer....I'll take that gladly !! I don't drink but I do have my one cup of coffee a day & don't think I can ever go cold turkey on that.....
You sound like it was an awesome weekend, lots accomplished !!! Does it get really, really hot there? humidity ??? I believe with all my heart that what we eat affects us more than we realize.....anyway, sleep is calling, my eyes are weighing a million lbs.....talk to you very soon, take care and enjoy !!!!!

Thumbnail by Depsi

That's terrific news!! Well, I guess a severe infection isn't usually something to be grateful for, but today it is!
I've gone almost three weeks straight without coffee before I crumbled, but like you I keep it to one cup. That stuff should come with an addiction warning label!
Those are beautiful...what would we do without plants and pets to cheer us up?
It is my first summer here, and apparently an exceptionally cool one so far.the humidity is almost never above 20%, and more like 10% as a rule, at least this last winter. Our little house is off the grid, solar power only, so it will be interesting to see what summer is like. We have a basement with an open stairwell so it actually warmed the house this winter, when outside it was in the 30's but 50's down there. So here's hoping the cooler air will help too!
Here's a pic of my garden. I moved out here last fall and DH brought out my container gardens, so we bought some straw bales and built this. It actually works very well!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I Depsi,

I really enjoyed reading some of your posts. I have family in Monango, ND (if it still exists) Too much cold for me. I was a Coranado Island & San Diego girl for my 1st 7 years . NC winters are enough for me thank you very much.
I love your camper traveler. That is how I wanted to spend my retirement years, traveling all over.

Sheri
BirdieBlue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images