Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: When is it ok to start planting flowers in March in Oklahoma

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9443743

Hello, I am so excited to start my gardens this year, but I am not sure if I should begin now. Lowes already has flowers and local nurseries opened the 3rd of March. So does is it ok to start? Thank you for any comments or answers. You guys will be helping me out a lot.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9443758

Hi Destinip.
Being in the southern part of the state, you may have a few frosts yet to come, but you can start with the hardier plants like petunias, pansies and snap dragons and also some of the hardier perennials. You will want to wait until early April for the more tender plants. Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, carrots and peas can go in the ground now. Talk to the folks at the nursery...they can give you good info on what can go in the ground now.

This link has tons of info for planting in your area.

http://knowit.newsok.com/gardening-oklahoma/tips-flowers
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9443763

Thank you so much for the answer. I really appreciate it. I will take your advice and the website is great will keep it on hand. Thanks again.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9443788

You are most welcome. I hope you have a lovely garden this year...show us a picture or two when you get started.

If you need help, contact your local experts...The Cooperative extension services at OSU, right there in Oklahoma City

http://oces.okstate.edu/oklahoma/horticulture-1
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2013
11:17 PM

Post #9445402

Ok will do!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America