Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Rooting Hormone "ruined"

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 9, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9444406

Hello All;

I accidentally left our small bottle of rooting hormone outside and it rained. This happened about a year ago. My husband (the original gardener) says to throw it away.

I am too frugal for that. I think I should probably let it soak with some water and use it to add to my little seedlings to help improve their roots...

The small bottle of rooting hormone is a small cement like solid now... it's about 1/2 inch thick...

What do you think I should do ?

Mary

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9444647

Mary, most of the rooting hormone products use talc as an inert base. The label on many of them state that the product is Not water soluble, so adding water would not help.

I see two options. Wearing gloves and face mask (to prevent inhaling dust) you could place the block in a plastic bag and crush it (tapping with a hammer) and return the powder to the container, or

When BR has the next hazardous chemicals (paint, fungicide, pesticide, etc) disposal collection, take the bottle to them for safe disposal. DO not place in your trash can or try to flush it down any drain.

Go to google and enter the name of your product (Greenlight, Miraclegrow, rootone, etc) and add the letters MSDS behind the name. That will give you the Material Data Safety Sheet that covers all risk/hazard info and use/disposal info.

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 10, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9445336

Thank you Jean ! Will definitely try the first option first... I just hate throwing anything away!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9445484

Good luck and be careful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America