Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9444797

Hello all,

I have a small 6 x 9 pond. Last year I had 5 fish (4 comet and 1 Shubunkin). Last summer we had babies, so the number was up to probably 11 or 12. In the winter I shut off the stream and add a tank deicer to keep the water open.

The problem for the past couple of years is that the fish seem to make it through the harsh winter fine. But when spring cleanout comes, I'm always missing a few. When the melting starts and water starts to go brown from runoff, I can't keep count of them, so I never know when they are missing. This year I added a grid of PVC and fishing line to deter any predators, though I have never seen any predators or tracks of predators.

I have just found the shubunkin floating. Thus begins my overwinter loss of fish. I'm wondering if the runoff and decay is too much for them. Perhaps I should start filtering earlier. I usually start the pump mid march to get the water cleared, though I bypass the stream and underground hose so I don't break it (ahem, as I did one year).

So does anyone have any ideas of what is going on?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9444824

Any ideas what is in the run off? Could there be chemicals in the run off?

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9444846

Usually, goldfish can handle almost anything but chemicals. I had 2 that I put temporarily in a wheelbarrow, and forgot about them for a year, only to come back and find them in 1 inch of water that was covered in 2 inches of decayed leaves. They were double the size and very happy. I was completely shocked!
Koi are more fragile, but the comets lived through 100 degree temps, very little water, and then frosts during the winter.
I would assume there had to be a bit more than just spring dirty water or odd temps. True, the shubunkins are not quite as hardy as the true comets (you always lose a little durability when they get bred for pretty colors) but they still are pretty hardy.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9445056

I doubt there are any chemicals as I'm organic in the back yard. There is also only one fish dead at this point so I don't suspect a chemical kill. I thought perhaps the water has been too rich with organic nutrients for some of the older fish. But again, they aren't so temperamental of a fish that they'd need perfect water.

On a separat note, looks like most of the babies are Shubunkin/Comet hybrids so maybe more hardy. Maybe no more deaths this year?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America