Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Looking for Old fashioned roses

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm trying to track down the roses that used to surround the house I grew up in. We sold the house a couple of years ago and I wish now I would have dug a couple of them up... Looking through a book it is an old fashioned and I'm guessing either Comte de Chambord (remember it being probably 3-4 feet though), La Reine or Marchesa Boccella. I would also love to be able to get a hold of Mutabilis (not one I had as a child but one I find looking it up). If anyone knows of anywhere where I can get some plants or some cuttings, please let me know.

Thank you,
Michelle Clowdis

Richmond, TX

I don't know about Comte de Chambord bbut the others are available at the Antique Rose Emporium.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

If you want cuttings of Mutabilis I can send you some...

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Comte de Chambord

Jist happened to come across it wgile
searching for something else ...

Richmond, TX

Very pretty - sounds like a really good rose.

Warrenton, VA

I live in Northern Virginia, where turn-of-the-century and earlier homes abound. I remember a rose that had LONG canes, almost a climber, and lots of very small (1") whitish-pink roses. I believe that this rose kinda naturalizes from being around old homes - you see it on banks, in certain areas, and I would not consider it invasive.
Does anyone have a clue as to what rose I'm thinking about? I sure would love to have some of it!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Could you be thinking of this one?

Richmond, TX

She also has a climbing variety which fits your description. If that is your rose, I have both forms from which I could take cuttings.

Warrenton, VA

The rose looks to be too large - I am thinking that the bloom on the rose is only 1". Porkpal - you are very generous - this seems NOT to be my rose, so I will not impose. Maybe I must find one on the side of the road and get some snips out...that is how I feel when I visit cemeteries and there are all those old bulbs coming up, and Iris, you know? Of course this means shovel rather than snips...but methinks that noone would talk about it (LOL). Only joking, but why is it that the varieties hiding amidst the tombstones seem pristine and so elegant?
Apologize for going off on a tangent...saw some lovely old Jonquils out in the swamp down the road from me and I started thinking about them...
First impulse was to mark them and dig them up later but you know what? I really appreciate their beauty just where they are, in a secretive spot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.