-
AuthorContent
mclowdis
Minneola, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9444981

I'm trying to track down the roses that used to surround the house I grew up in. We sold the house a couple of years ago and I wish now I would have dug a couple of them up... Looking through a book it is an old fashioned and I'm guessing either Comte de Chambord (remember it being probably 3-4 feet though), La Reine or Marchesa Boccella. I would also love to be able to get a hold of Mutabilis (not one I had as a child but one I find looking it up). If anyone knows of anywhere where I can get some plants or some cuttings, please let me know.

Thank you,
Michelle Clowdis
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 10, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9445007

I don't know about Comte de Chambord bbut the others are available at the Antique Rose Emporium.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9447227

If you want cuttings of Mutabilis I can send you some...

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9450877

Comte de Chambord

[HYPERLINK@www.roguevalleyroses.com]

Jist happened to come across it wgile
searching for something else ...

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 15, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9450922

Very pretty - sounds like a really good rose.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 7, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9475072

I live in Northern Virginia, where turn-of-the-century and earlier homes abound. I remember a rose that had LONG canes, almost a climber, and lots of very small (1") whitish-pink roses. I believe that this rose kinda naturalizes from being around old homes - you see it on banks, in certain areas, and I would not consider it invasive.
Does anyone have a clue as to what rose I'm thinking about? I sure would love to have some of it!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9475106

Could you be thinking of this one?
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/pl.php?n=16701
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 7, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9475214

She also has a climbing variety which fits your description. If that is your rose, I have both forms from which I could take cuttings.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 7, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9475243

The rose looks to be too large - I am thinking that the bloom on the rose is only 1". Porkpal - you are very generous - this seems NOT to be my rose, so I will not impose. Maybe I must find one on the side of the road and get some snips out...that is how I feel when I visit cemeteries and there are all those old bulbs coming up, and Iris, you know? Of course this means shovel rather than snips...but methinks that noone would talk about it (LOL). Only joking, but why is it that the varieties hiding amidst the tombstones seem pristine and so elegant?
Apologize for going off on a tangent...saw some lovely old Jonquils out in the swamp down the road from me and I started thinking about them...
First impulse was to mark them and dig them up later but you know what? I really appreciate their beauty just where they are, in a secretive spot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America