Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Morning Glories: Morning Gories Late Winter-Early Spring 2013

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 97, Views: 545
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9444998

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298700

Thumbnail by patootie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 11, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9445843

Beautiful blooms Jackie.

Had one not so nice mg bloom but am happy I got my first male Ruby throat today. I hope it warms up for him. Please excuse my old feeders, they are my favorites and they don't make them anymore.

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9445923

I like the color on your bloom Helena.
Your hummers like the feeders and that's all that matters. :-)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9446024

Practicing since I'm having such a hard time sending pics. Was a little bit easier today.

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie      

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 11, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9446050

Thanks Jackie. I love your gorgeous blooms. Can't wait for warmer temps and lots of blooms.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9446059

Thanks Helena. Looking forward to some warm spring weather too. Surely it wont be long now.

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9446080

Congrats on the hummer!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9446432

patootie wrote:I like the color on your bloom Helena.
Your hummers like the feeders and that's all that matters. :-)

I Agree! Sides' if it aint broke, don't replace it LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9446436

okiess, i had to string more tape up for the vines downstairs, they are everywhere.. anyway here are a few of what was blooming yesterday..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9446494

Lovely blooms you're getting too Debra. Like the ceramic? girl figurine.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9446682

thanks, it is a very old planter.. really old LOL
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 12, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9446694

Love all your blooms Debra, they are gorgeous!

Just wish my camera would do this bloom justice, it's a deep dark blue not this blue it shows. The pink is pretty much it. My hummer is still here I was hoping he'd go to FL for a couple of days till it warmed up. His on the move and hiding low at times in the bushes.

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9446919

Pretty blooms Helena and sweet little hummer. Our hummers should be back in a couple of weeks.
I hope it will have warmed up a bunch by then.

Linda love your pretty Amaryllis in previous thread.

2011 pics

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie         

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 14, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9448883

Love your pretty blooms Jackie.

Karen, the first bloom is from your seeds (silky blue-not) beautiful dark resembles Star of India. I have another similar that bloomed this morning, Scarlet O'Hara and a lavender blue.

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9449146

Beautiful blooms this morning Helena.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9449219

love your blooms and your hummer, Helena. Jackie your pandys always bring a smile to my face. Thank You. ;)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9449595

I'm glad you enjoy them Debra. :-) The first stem should be up by early April.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9450729

Found this open this morning. My old vine from last yr but can't tell you the name right now. The orange seeded one.

My Mandevilla should be open tomorrow. Mealy bugs after this vine.

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9450774

Is that your transvall,Jackie?
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9450927

Debra, yes thank you. A Sr moment for me. :-)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9450934

Wow, look at all the pretty blooms and hummers! We had our first hummer today, we have black chinned hummers. I will try to get a picture tomorrow.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 16, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9451175

Jackie, that is a very pretty color and the bloom seems to be bigger which makes it even nicer. I grew the mandevilles years ago, they have nice flowers.

Silky blue bloom today from Karens seed. This one is true, checked in plantfiles.Black King and calliandra I bought from a nersury and this agastachy spent the winter outside and is blooming now. Turned out b
to be a tough little plant.

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh      

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9451408

Thanks Helena. The Transvaal is only 2 and 1/2 inches but I was up close making it appear larger.,

Beautiful Silky Blue and Black King blooms. I've yet to grow a Black King, maybe this summer.

I'm partial to the Calliandras and the Agastacys too. Love the fragrance of the Agy.

Thumbnail by patootie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9451504

Love them all, I can just almost smell them.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 17, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9452230

Thanks Jackie and Debra. I do like growing Black King and the others too.

Pretty bloom Jackie, I have to grow a few of those Fujis this year.

This bloom from Blue Marble Not is large from the beije seed I started, have another vine am hoping for dark blooms. And this blue bloom is a lot darker almost purple than what the camera shows. Bought a passion vine from Lowes the other day, Iochroma from mail order. Last pic is of Scarlet O'Hara At least 2 of my vines spent the night outside and no heat lamps or lights inside gh. I took out a lot of my plants out since it was a beautiful day outside yesterday. Today it looks like it wants to rain.

Jackie not sure about this BMN, does it resemble A. no Sora?

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9452483

Helena, beautiful MG's. Your BMN does resemble F no Sora somewhat.
Anxious to see the BMN bloom from your 2nd
vine. Love the pretty Iochroma and Passion vine. If your Iochroma makes sds please save me a few. ;-)

Thumbnail by patootie

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9452490

An Oxalis for St Patty's Day.

Thumbnail by patootie

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 17, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9452597

Thanks Jackie, Pretty bloom and cute Oxalis.

I missed a bloom from this morning. Here are some of my seedlings that will need repotting in the future.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9452620

That is a lot of seedlings!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9452801

Helena, Nice pink bloom and your seedlings look great.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9453053

lovely bloom and I LOVE oxalis and iochroma..
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 18, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9453344

Thanks ladies.

Have 3 nice blue blooms picture together. You can see the difference, BMN and Silky Blue dark blue came from my blue mix. Then Klack King with 2 blooms.

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

March 18, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9453493

Helena, love your blues...
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 18, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9453615

Thanks Elsa. How was your summer? It's finally warming up a little here, feels great to be able to spend more time outside.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9453639

Gorgeous blues Helena. Love all of those.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9454200

oh the joy of seeing beautiful blooms when i needed it most, thanks, Helena. You Rock.
Elsa, I sent you a package, plz let me know when you get it.
Love you all, my net family.. i just talked to sister and she isn't doing so hot.. I am almost to a point where I am afraid to call her.. that is bad..
bad me.. I will always call her, but it is so hard to listen to her be in pain . *sigh*
guess i better get back on nerve pills.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2013
10:20 PM

Post #9454309

So sorry to hear this bad news Debra re your sis. I'm still praying for her and I
admire her spunk for the fight she's waged so far.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9454441

Sorry to hear she is not doing well Debra! Please tell her we are praying for her! Sending you lots of ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 19, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9454603

Thanks Jackie and Debra. Debra, I'm keeping your sis in prayers too. Hope she is feeling better.

Have a gray haze bloom this morning (I think), a pink and Scarlet O'Hara with the faded dark blue bloom from yesterday still open.

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

March 19, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9454739

Debra,

Thanks, I will keep you updated.

Helena,

The previous growing season 2011 / 2012 was hopeless. My MG's germinated, grew a few inches and disappeared. This past one 2012 / 2013 was much better. We had very strange weather for SA. Lots of cool days at the beginning of Summer, with lots of rain (always welcome). I started some "old" seed. Some back to 2005, and they grew as if their life's depended on it. Started flowering, and then we had the one heat wave after the other from the end of December. It is supposed to be Autumn, and the mornings are way cooler, but the days are real scorchers. Needless to say my dear MG stopped flowering. I am waiting for the seed to dry so I can get rid of the "ugly" vines... I am not complaining though. I was able to snatch a few lovely photos. Will post a few. Not sure of the names. Will have to look them up when I pull the vines.

Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

March 19, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9454746

A few more... I suspect the last photo of the previous post is the same as the first photo on this post, taken at different times of the day. Can't remember... Luckily I tagged the plants, so will know when I harvest the seed.

Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123      

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

March 19, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9454757

I want to show off some of my roses from the past season before the heat got to them...

They are:
Born-2-Care (don't know if they are available under that name in the USA). Not very fragrant, but a lovely compact flower that lasts ages in the vase, and dries quite beautifully.
A NOID I grew from a cutting. It flowered only once in Spring, but the bush is covered in these beautiful little flowers that the bees just adore, for about a month if not longer.
Sharifa Asma (one of the most fragrant roses in my garden). I just love this rose. I bought it when my son was diagnosed with asthma after months of non-stop coughing. I see it as a sign of new beginnings. (I was just so glad to know what was wrong with him after months of worrying.)
and Towering Rose Magic. This rose is one of those "must haves" according to me. The fragrance reminds me of Turkish Delight, and the flower shape is to die for.

Have a great day,
Elsa

Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123   Thumbnail by Elsa123   

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9454777

Lovely blooms Elsa! Sorry to hear your sun makes everything stop blooming! Sounds like the hot Texas sun we get here. The past few summers we have had 110+ temps from about April to October. Not much blooms in those temps!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9454780

Helena, lovely blooms this morning. How nice to see Gray Haze, one of my favorites.

Elsa, beautiful MG blooms you had this summer. All beautiful and I love your Purple Blizzard types.

Your Roses are indeed to die for.!!!

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9454896

Debra keeping both you and your sis in my prayers always♥

Helena I love the BMN, great color!

Hi Elsa, good to see you posting. Your MG blooms are great and the roses are beautiful too!

Can't wait to get mine started. I have a few growing inside but they are just so slow, by the time I get flowers it will be warm enough to take them outside! I've got to get an earlier start next year for some winter blooms.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 19, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9454928

Thank you ladies. I just spend an hour or 2 repotting some of my seedlings. Ones that I could see had strong roots.

Elsa thank you for posting. Your blooms were beautiful and I love your roses too. Same here when it gets too hot flowers wilt and the roses take a long rest. Hope your son is better with treatments.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2013
9:51 PM

Post #9455467

Helena your gray haze is beautiful, and I will always love SOH.
Elsa, please tell me how you started a rose from a cutting? I have tried and tried. Your mauve splash is to die for, and all the others are equally excellant.

Sister called today crying because they would not give her chemo, and in her mind, one week without chemo means her cancer will spread, and I am helpless in making her feel better. I tried to tell her fear is the worst thing for making cnacer spread, and she said everything makes cancer spread.
her white blood cells are negative. now she has to becareful and not get sick, she was a few counts away from a transfusion and her plaetlets are so low if she cuts herself she wil bleed to death she said. I can't stand what she is going thru, it is killing me to watch her suffer. I asked her if she had more good days than bad days, and she admitted she does, so one day at a time until the end we agreed.

I have missed taking pics of all my winter blooms for a whole week, even the moonflower had a wilted bloom this am.. dang it.
We are freezing tomorrow night thru the weekend so am going to be be throwing sheets over the hiyacynths, daffs and tulips all budded out. Hubby is worried about them, I thought they would be fine even under snow for some reason.. hmmm..

Got my pump and hose hooked up for the washer so now it is a lot easier to catch the washer water before it goes down the drain.
yippee!! this year water rates double. we are still in a "drought" but I think they should have started worrying about three years ago instead of just now. All the home owners asscociations require green lawns, so those peeps in their nice new homes are going to pay for that . NOT ME>!
Next, Joe and I are going to replace all our light bulbs with leds, one bulb a week. We are trying to get ready for "retirement" HAHA
this is from august 2011 I sent it out tagged as purple splash, if anyone still has those seeds from the swap..

Thumbnail by joeswife

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9455562

So sorry to hear about your Sister. Please know we pray for her daily!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9455607

Debra, I saw this on facebook, for rooting roses, in a potato. Scroll to the bottom of page.

http://www.amateurgardening.com/home/taking-rose-cuttings/

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9455614

http://www.ehow.com/how_7636940_propagate-roses-using-potatoes.html

Here is another site that explains it a bit better.

I don't know what to do if the potato starts growing? I imagine I would pinch off the growth of the potato plant?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9455668

Oh my.. great links, LK, thanks so much!
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 20, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9455708

Beautiful bloom Debra. Keeping your sis and you in prayers.

Thanks for those links Linda, I've had some success with rooting rose cuttings from time to time. But I also tried the seeds from rose hips, most require a
t least six weeks of winter. Check out the last pic of my baby Heritige rose, if it comes true remains to be seen.Of coarse it might take awhile for it to bloom.

Blooms from today outside in this cool morning.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9455711

Love those morning glories! Sure hope your rose does good for you!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9456182

Debra, so sorry about your sweet sister. I know this is taking a horrible toll on you too.
I'm going to see if I have Purple Splash seeds from you. What a beauty.

Beautiful blooms Helena. I am amazed by your rooted baby Rose. I can't root them. ;-(

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 12:33 AM

Thumbnail by patootie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9456512

Thanks Jackie.. I love all the blooms posted here, especially since winter is not gone all the way..
all my hiyacynths are budded up out front, I covered them with leaves so they wouldn't get freeze burn..
if I could blanket the whole yard I would.

As soon as I get batteries, I am going to take pics of some things my sister sent to me to sell, all of our mothers old baby shoes, can you believe she still had them? There is a pair that are made in alaska in fur and beads. Very cool. ( My mother was raised as a child in the Alaska mountain area)
Anyway, I went down this am to find the whole room a bloom in Charlies room, all kinds of colors, SOH, Rebecca, Blue with pink center, mauve with white edges, JL, Blue Lav from Ronnie, and a pretty white striped pink blocked i nil, I have no batteries atm, dang it. Great big blooms on the hibiscus, even the iochroma and jasmine is blooming. It was up lifting anyway.
I am going to try rooting the roses when I cut them this spring, especially My Angel and the wild dark red mini roses that climb out front in the honey suckle, I am going to try the potatoe method. Thanks LK, I can't wait to try another experiment.

I sent these seeds out in the swap also.. anyone save any? They were tagged large red with white edge.

Thumbnail by joeswife

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9456520

Would love to see those old shoes!

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9456709

Looking forward to your pics Debra!
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 21, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9457173

Beautiful blooms Jackie and Debra. I do have a seedling growing of your large pink-red bloom Debra. Hope it turns out like yours, that purple splash is also very nice.

Took a picture of my seedling from Karen2005 Speckled blush mix. You can see the light brown specks going up the stem. The color of the bloom could be pink, light blue, purple or dark blue. Won't know for sure until it blooms.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9457734

Beautiful bloom Debra. Pretty, showy color.
Anxious to see your bloom color Helena. :-)
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 22, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9457879

Me too Jackie. If it keeps warming up they'll be taking off in no time. Still have too many to repot.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9458382

Cold here today Helena. Wish we could have your warmer temps. :-)
Norton has found a problem with my new computer. Looks like I'll have to return it.

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9458383

Cold here too :( supposed to last at least another week...boo hoo cmom spring!

Helena your blooms warm me up, so envious but keep them coming!

That stinks Jackie, will they replace it?
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9458707

Ronnie, I bought the 89.95 warranty from HP so I think they best replace it for me. Its something in the printed log files
whatever that is.. The error shows back to the day I bought it and all the way back to Sept 2012, I guess the manufacture date. It had been acting like a 10 yr old computer, slow to go back or open the page. Going into sleep mode each time. I just knew I had a virus but the tech said no.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

March 23, 2013
1:55 AM

Post #9458770

Debra,

I find that the best time to take cuttings is late Autumn. They must be more or less the thickness of pencil, with no buds on them, and I'd say a foot long. Take all the leaves off to prevent unnecessary stress on the cutting. Use your garden spade and make a "slit" into the ground about the depth of the spade. If you have clay soil be sure to add some grit to the bottom of the slit to help with drainage. "Plant" your cuttings, firm them down nicely and water. Leave them for a year before planting out.

I was just wondering while writing, if it wouldn't be too cold for you to do them in Autumn. (I hardly ever get temperatures below freezing in Winter) Maybe semi-hardwood would be better towards the middle of Summer? Then at least they have time to establish roots before the cold...

E

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 23, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9458938

The temps are not too bad right now, sun trying to come out. I've been putting a lot of my salvia red coccineas into the ground and I see my male hummingbird is going to them. These morning glories are the only ones that bloomed today. Not real pretty but glad they bloomed anyway, that faded bloom on the left of first pic nay be the gray one from yesterday.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9459185

thanks Jackie, I thought the one u posted before me looked similar, and that stinks about your putor.. hope u get it fixed real fast , don't think I can go very long without seeing here on DG
Elsa, thanks for the tips, I am going to try three methods and see which one works best for me. tearing down the west wall vines on wall in charlies room, will let the seed pods contiue to ripen in the water tub, have to get the paneling pulled off for the cracks in that corner fixed in May, just wanted to get ready early.
snowing here right now, I am still in my jams, gardening downstairs .
Helena I am glad you are posting blooms. Happy Spring with snow day LOL
( I am going to have to get dressed at some point for the trip to wally world for gardening stuff and the sat night date me and Joe go on every weekend.)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9459347

Enjoy your date night Debra!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9459466

Debra, I thought our blooms looked similar too. Mine is supposed to be one of the Sunrise Mixed Japanese MG's.
So nice that you and Joe still have date nights
Ronnie, HP is giving me a hard time, the run around. 600.00 for a new computer that doesn't even come on when I turn it on 2 out of 3 times.
Shaking my head.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 24, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9459922

Jackie, hope you can have your puter problem fixed.

Debra, is having snow this late in the season kind of out of the norm? Our weather is warmed up that I'm getting ready to start getting some of my plants into the ground. I have some of the mg outside already. If we get bad weather I can still put them back in gh.

Black King is the only bloom for today. In a day or two I'll have another new bloom ready I think.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9460177

That is a beautiful Black King...
We ususally get our March last blast snow about now.. I was ready for it. Everything is blanketed in about 4 to 6 inches, and is sunnny and will start melting soon. Our planting time for outside is ususallly about second week of April to start moving cold hardy tropicals and planting prennials outside. I am still debating on whether to keep Jungle downstairs going with a high electric bill, or take it all outised with a triple water bill. I might pick and choose who is to go outside besides the glories. I transplanted a ton of plants last night and re-arranged Charlies room with a new high output sunlight, still trying to get the north west corner clear so we can fix what ever is behind the paneling there..
These pics are charlies room from last year

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9460195

Love the BK Helena! Wish it was a bit warmer here, not to bad but cold enough that where there is shade it's still frozen.

Debra the bloom in your first pic is so pretty!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9460252

Lovely dark Black King Helena. I envy you your warmer weather.

Beautiful blue and white bloom Debra.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 25, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9460985

Thanks ladies. I chickened out before it got dark and put a lot of my tender salvias and plants I didn't want to lose after the weather people saying it was going to get around 36, probably in the forties for me during the night. No blooms this morning that I can see. The plants outside did just fine.

Love your blue and white bloom too Debra.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9462030

ok time for a laff... someone told me my inside Jungle areas needed CO2 gas, sooooo... I mixed up 4 plastic water bottles of sugar , yeast and water, poked pin holes in the caps with push pins, left in, and set them in charlies room on the middle stand, forgot about them while I went back up and played on putor..

about a couple hours later after Joe went to sleep, I hear this loud bang and sounds of breaking stuff, jumped up immediately to run down and see what "fell over" well, not one but two of those forgotten bottles had exploded and in the process jetted right into some pots of soil and plants, KNOCKED them off and they fell and broke, the bottles had went up and down and jetted across the room spraying everything with that wet mixture.
*whew* I think everything in there got their yearly supply of CO2 in one instant. LOL
I just love experiments, don't you?
Now, the other two bottles are in the outer rooms, without caps on, I learned to shake them and then release the gas near the foilage with my thumb, smells like a bakery down there. Never did find the original pushpins, yet...
Then, it dawned on me... I smoke, and cig smoke has CO2, so I am thinking that is why everything blooms and sets fruit and stuff, I walk around when I smoke down there, they love it. I just had to speriment, tho. Wish you could see the pepper shrubs and hibiscus, they were fully loaded this am with big huge blooms. Inside. downstairs. Waiting for the calico vine buds and the passion vine buds to appear.
Sister called me and said she feels better today, and she hopes she can start her chemo tommorrow. I hope so , too, then she will quit worrying about the spreading of it. I personally think her worrying is making her sicker than the cancer.
In the 20's tonight.. we are all tucked in snug as bugs in a rug..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9462039

Oh Debra, sorry to hear about your experiment going wrong! I can see those bottles jetting all over the place! Post pictures of your blooms please?
Glad to hear the good report on your Sister.

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9462174

That's funny Debra! Glad there was no major damage, could have been messy with all the elctricity and lights!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9462393

Happy Birthday Patootie/Jackie! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 26, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9462426

Happy Birthday Jackie! Hope you have a great day :-)

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

March 26, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9462639

Happy Birthday Jackie!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9462740

Thanks girls for the birthday wishes. Just glad to have made it another yr. :-)
Funny story Deb but glad you weren't hurt. Very happy to hear that Dear sister feels much better. Lets
keep up the prayers

This might be Pink Porcelain, yr before last

Thumbnail by patootie

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 26, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9462764

Debra glad it wasn't a reall mess for you, an experience you'll remember. I'm also glad your sis is feeling a bit better. Keeping up with the prayers.

Pretty bloom Jackie, just love that pink color.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9462792

Thanks Helena.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9463348

Oh Jackie, Happy Birthday! I am so glad I came to say that! The pink porcelain is beautiful, now I know where the one I had came from. ;)
It was just a small enought mess to make me chuckle, and. figure out a way to save the watery sugar yeast puddle and I used a spongle mop and put it in a half bucket of laundry water, then last night I watered with that. I have three of the four bottles evened out and it is cool to see the "gas" come out after shaking and lifting my thumb ...The night I mopped I put a fan on the room, and wiped off most of the surfaces it hit. The leaves of a lot of plants havy shiny spots on them. Just now I saw seed pods ripening and I have nothing but pictures I have posted earlier to determine which is which. So, winter basement mix it is .. again.
What did you do today Jackie? I hope your day was warm and pleasant. I am a proud parent of a Jackie Pink Swirl Hibiscus baby seedling..Happy Birthday to you!
Sister got to get her chemo.. her back has been hurting, she is going to a chiro guy tommorrow she thinks there is a rib out? I swear I do not trust those guys ( chiros) but my Mom couldn't go a week without seeing one. Now, Sister has a chiro guy.. and one of those non medicine guys ( homeopathic?)
a cancer guy, a radiation guy and a regular guy.. sheese! "dat's a lot of men" I told her.. hah!
The two rebeccas from one seed bag of Emma,Aoshibouri from BlueSpiral ,Pandurata Kansas, Favorite Zinnia, from Karen2005 purchase, I have no idea it's name now. It was in a Blue mix.. These are all old photos.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
10:24 PM

Post #9463459

Debra, thank you. I've had better birthdays but thats ok. Sometimes things just don;t work out. :-)
Returned my new computer to HP today for them to see whats wrong with it.
They said I'll have it back in just a few days if they can fix it.
So glad you got a Pink Swirl to germinate. Its a beautiful Hibiscus and hardy too even to your zone.
Wonderful that your sis got to have her chemo, she was so worried about it. My DH swears by the chiropractor
too for his bad back. He always feels much better after just one session.
Lovely pics btw.

Found this pic of Apricot Candy, one of my favorite small MG's.

Thumbnail by patootie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9463573

Debra, love your flowers, sorry to hear your seeds got mixed up! So glad to hear your Sis was allowed to get her chemo. I agree with Jackie, I see my chiro at least once a month, don't know what I would do with out him.
Jackie, sure hope you get your computer back soon!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9463615

LK, I have so many seeds, a few mixed up or a few lost is no big worry.. Sister called me before she went to bed to see what I thought about her taking two aleves and then a loritab two hours later, I said what the heck can it hurt?

Last time I went to a chiro with mom ( 20 yrs ago) I couldn't walk for a week.

So glad they do work for you all, tho. Moving some seed trays outside now, before I go to work, just hope the squirrels leave them alone..
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9463961

Deb, my daughter has scoliosis and the 1st time she went, she was so sore. Once the soreness was gone, she realized her back felt much better than before.
Still too cool here to set anything out. Will be May 1st most likely. We're still getting freezes at night .
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 27, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9464391

It has been awfully cold here these last 2 days. We had a tiny bit of frost but still did not get to most of my plants.

I took a picture of a nice dark blue mg bloom with my phone this morning with my phone camera but have not been able to get it through my email yet. Maybe tomorrow it'll get through. After school I used my g-sons Ipod when the color changed to violet purple.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9464399

That sure is pretty! Love the dark color.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9464564

Oh my gosh Helena. Gorgeous Purple Velvet

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9464592

Beautiful! I love the drape of it.

I have a few plants outside and a tray of babys, one brug stick and a red firespike, and some oxalis. a few glorys. If they can't survive the low of 33 with some newspaper blankets, then this will be a telling experiment. The porch is much warmer than out in the open. We will see.
Sister feels better already, she had a rib out in her back, and her elbow and wrist were out of whack from her fall a few weeks ago. She is taking two aleves now. If her pain gets too bad she promised me she will take a loritab. I told her so what if she had the aleve in her.. it is hard to live thru the prisms of pain.
I just finished planting a ton of stuff and transplanted some more babys . I will be going to see a local blues lady with my sis in law tommorrow night, or rather, tonight, so if I don't see ya then, have a great day.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9464715

Good luck with all your babies, hope they don't get too cold. And enjoy the blues lady with your SIL. So glad to hear your Sis is feeling better.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9464742

Everything is AOK! Even the tray of tomatoes and peppers I forgot about out back. The morning glorys are tuff lil buggars!
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 28, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9464748

Debra, I echo Lindas post. Thanks ladies that picture came out bigger than when it's supposed to be. I'm going to try another one that's supposed to be smaller of the same color and the one when it was blue from yesterday. It's still the same bloom but with changing color from blue to violet purple.

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 28, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9464752

Glad your babies made it through the night outside Debra. The violet purple pic still came out a bit bigger than in my files.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9465128

Debra. so glad your sis feels somewhat better and that the chiropractor helped her.
Oh that sounds like fun, going to see a blues lady. I love the blues, best listening of all.

Helena, a truly beautiful bloom transitioning from blue to purple
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 29, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9465955

Thanks Jackie. Had this bloom open yesterday but the color was not right on my camera and on my phone either. There was no blue on that bloom but a kind of purple color.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9465991

Helena, Very pretty even if the color isn't true.

to the new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304807

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America