Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

killing flea beetles

Canyon Lake, TX

We are still struggling with flea beetles in the veggie garden.We have tried neem oil and that did not help.Any suggestions?

Central, TX(Zone 8b)

You might try spraying an insecticide containing Spinosad (biologic) and trying a "trap crop" such as mustard or radish at the edge of your garden and spray or vacuum 'em off.

Delhi, LA

According to my resident expert, "Dr. Bader's Pest Guide, there are several remedies.
1. They love yellow. Put down some yellow cards smeared with Tanglefoot.
2. They hate mint. Plant a little mint along with your other crop.
3. Put old coffee grounds around your plants to chase them.
4. Dust your plants with wood ashes mixed with lime. Be sure to mist the plants first.
5. Put cheap beer in a dish buried to ground level and they will be happy to drown themselves.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

What is tanglefoot?

I'll add another suggestion -- cover with tulle (bridal veil fabric). I did that when my eggplants were looking terrible, and now they are looking a lot better -- new growth and no more holes.

Delhi, LA

Tanglefoot is a sticky substance you can buy at a lot of garden suppliers.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

^^_^^, Lise!
I think we'd better get in on the "tulle" stock before the public offering, LOLOL!

Uh, there's a DIY version of the yellow sticky card that uses plain old petroleum jelly.

The fleas don't care if you don't spend $$ on them. They just wanna dive into all that bright, yellow, goodness, LOL!!

This message was edited Apr 18, 2013 1:30 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks for the answer, Jim41, on what Tanglefoot is. And for the DIY alternative, Linda!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Rotenone Dust

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.