-
AuthorContent
petset77
Fort Garland, CO
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2013
10:55 PM

Post #9445400

Very good advice for those of us in the Rockies, especially those who've moved here from warmer locales. We moved here from New Orleans (zone 9) three years ago. There, tomatoes better be in the ground in early March, and peas are planted on Christmas. Greens grow all winter. I had tropical bamboo and ate bananas from my yard. Because of that, I couldn't wait to plant squash, tomatoes, cukes, and other tender plants our first spring. It finally got warm the first of May (MAY!!!), so I finally put the seedlings I toiled over in the ground. They burst into full growth mid month, to my impatient delight. Then the Memorial day snow came. I tried the gulf coast tricks of covering with sheets or plastic sheeting and spraying with water at dusk to no avail. It was just too cold. That garden eventually looked great about early September, thanks to alot of rotted goat manure, bone meal, iron sulfate, soybean meal, other organic soil ammendments, and a 'late' first frost. We did get alot of zucchini, peas, radishes, beets, some beans, and three tomatoes before the first hard freeze. But, we learned a lesson not to be forgotten: tender plants go in the ground AFTER the first week of June up here at 8,800 feet and zone 4. BIG difference to the Gulf Coast and sea level. Thanks to advice from folks like you, hopefully others moving up here will adapt to our short growing season more quickly. Thank You.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you for the guidelines... bsavage 2 Mar 31, 2009 12:27 AM
So glad I read this first.... cindyr2 1 Mar 21, 2011 3:46 PM
Thank You srandlmt 1 Mar 31, 2009 5:14 AM
Spring weather swings marwood0 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:11 PM
Colo Weather + Gardens = Headaches! skiekitty 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America