Photo by Melody

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Article

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 2, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9445488

A well written and appreciated article. Thank you... They make great Bonsai!
nativelyeager
Brooksville, FL

March 11, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9445564

First I ask that you don't plant mimosa. Then, assuming we recognize non-native mimosa can be a nightmare, when you decide to get rid of it -- and most will after some time -- the sooner, the better. Please understand it has an outrageous tap root and in general is very hard to kill. Pulling them out of your yard when they are still small is the best. Herbiciding can be very frustrating because it's a legume and, thus, resistant to chemicals normally used by homeowners (or agriculture industry). Consulting your Extension Service or natural areas managers might be/is advised if dealing with mimosa saplings or adults and/or infestations anywhere near conservation or undeveloped areas.
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9445631

From childhood I was taught that mimosa is a weed tree, no more desirable than Heavenly Tree of China, never to be purchased or planted. Experience has since taught me that these trees are in fact messy, prone to hosts of problems, and too short lived to be worth any effort. Still, even though I will never plant one, I find myself coveting the chocolate variety. Ahh, we gardeners are curiously conflicted folk.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America