-
AuthorContent
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9445558

I live in SC, zone 7B. I have had comfrey growing now for 2 years. This year, I see no shoots coming up. I am not sure if this is normal, as I would have thought with all of the rain and warm sunshine, something would be peeking out of the winter mulch cover.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9445841

Comfrey grows like a weed in the PNW. Mine gets huge to the point I have to start with the 'ring of death' in early spring - I toss a cut-off plant rim over the emerging plant and dig out anything that is beyond its allotted 16" spread. It grows very quickly and the bees absolutely mob the flowers. Then it all suddenly flops to the ground at which point I cut it back to about 3" and the cycle starts anew. I think I got about 3-4 flushes of growth/flowering last season. It also makes a very nutritious compost, particularly for tomatoes.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Click the image for an enlarged view.

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9447133

Well, I will be surprised if it died. The other 3 haven't started growing yet either.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

March 13, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9447886

What do you use Comfrey for? I would love to grow some. The flower & foliage are wonderful! Do you know where I could purchase some, or would anyone trade for some?
Thank you!
Alicia

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9448969

Comfrey is used as a healing herb- nickname, knitbone. Can be lethal if misused. pretty flower...

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

March 14, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9449118

Kittriana,
Thank you so much for your info! I am going to Google it too:)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9450881

I would also be surprised if your comfrey has died Moxies_garden. I suspect with patience you will soon see the new growth.

The comfrey leaves can be used to make a compost tea to water plants. The leaves are rich in potassium.
Or the leaves can be dried a bit first and turn into the soil to benefit it. The roots of comfrey tend to draw nutrients to the plant and to the surface soil.

For medicinal use, it is recommended for external use only, either as a salve or a compress. When used internally it has been known to cause liver damage.

I haven't found mine to be too agressive here. Mine also doesn't reproduce by seed, only root division or runners. I believe it is Bocking.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9451491

I checked them again today. Nice warm and sunny day, 79*. I have 3 plants, and none of them are sprouting anything. They had leaves up until January, then they died. The leaves. The roots should still be okay though.
I am growing comfrey to try to learn the medicinal uses of the plant. This is the first time I have been able to grow any herbs at all.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9451497

getting water?
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9451531

They have had plenty of rain the last few weeks, over 3" I think.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

March 16, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9451694

You all have such good info. Thank you for sharing! I hope Moxie , that you do have some sprout yet!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9459990

My comfrey also seems kind of wimpy- considering its reputation for world domination. There some little leaves showing.
moxie- anything?

I weeded in the garden and threw all the flowering weeds( deadnettle and bittercress) around the comfrey. I figured the comfrey leaves will cover and choke anything that sprouts from those weeds, the comfrey leaves I can harvest for nitrogen and potassium without seeds.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9460414

sallyg- I looked today when I was outside. Nothing. Not a peep, or little green leaf anywhere. :( They've done great for the 2 years I have had them! They were growing up until December. Then, they died back. Do they need to go dormant for any length of time?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9460419

I really don't know I've had it for 3-4 years. Last year when it came up it seemed weak and pathetic compared to the years before. I don't think there is a 'minimum time of dormancy' thing with it.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9461464

From what I have read, there isn't. I guess I need to do some more reading.
peteyfoozer
Burns, OR

April 6, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9474279

Where is the best place to order some comfrey in the PNW? I am in SE Oregon and would like to get some to put in my yard. Do you do anything to contain it? Is it terribly invasive or easy to control?
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9485022

I think they are finally coming up!! Woo Hoo!! I guess they just needed to die off the top growth and go dormant for a few weeks of wintertime.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9485045

phew!
Mine are waking up nicely now; we had a couple very warm days last week, and then some rain.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
2:41 AM

Post #9485640

I am glad it came up finally. Now I am waiting on the rhubarb. I am trying to grow an herb garden, but some things are iffy in this zone. And, I have never had the chance till recently to try to grow one.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9500304

mine are up, just for a week maybe!! I use mine in my compost too it heats it up better kickstarts the whole process. I use it in soaps and lotions too and occasionally in my tea.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9501418

Funny how our microclimates vary. I'm on the west coast but in about the same zone as Moxie. My comfrey is getting ready to flower for the first round. I get blooms followed by a total collapse of the plant at which time I cut it back to 6" and it regrows to bloom again, usually 2-3 rotations per season. Here's full bloom from last year mid-May.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Click the image for an enlarged view.

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9504079

Wow, bonehead, yours gets WAY bigger than my plants did. Maybe they prefer your climate better. We are hot and muggy here, with sometimes dry going on.
pokeberrypatch
Fort Lawn, SC

May 28, 2014
7:41 AM

Post #9851392

Moxie-- I'm in Fort Lawn Sc on water-- mine is in sun and has taken over the bed I have to take it out I think and give it its own border cuz it is so crazy. Up and flowering in April. zone 7b or 8a
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2014
3:33 PM

Post #9855570

Update- all of my comfrey plants have died. Nothing came up this year. It had full sun, good drainage and amended soil. I really didn't think it would die. So soon too. Maybe the 2012 drought and then the 2013 over abundant rainfall did it in.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2014
7:09 PM

Post #9855814

weird, moxie!
Mine was surprisingly bad last year but is taking off big this year. We had a very wet winter and spring. I cannot explain.

One is blooming big already and I should be cutting it and fertiliizing with it, just been too busy planting to do so. I like to take my crappy weeds and tuck them under the big comfrey leaves, let the weeds rot, and feed the comfrey.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2014
6:05 AM

Post #9856269

I really had hopes for the comfrey. So many things we have planted on this one little acre have not survived. And we do not know why. It did fantastic the first year. Half okay the second year. It was in full sun, and part sheltered being planted by the house. I guess I'll need to locate it in some other spot if I manage to find more to plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America