Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hoyas: Hoping to confirm ID and is this normal?

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 8, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9445663

Hi all, A newbie to Hoya here. I'm hoping to get an ID on this guy. After looking through all of the different varieties (I had no idea that there were so many), I believe I might have H.compacta (krinkle kurl) ? It came from a big box store without a tag. I've had this plant about 2 years now. Can anyone confirm this? It has bloomed for the very first time, and I'm curious about the difference in leaf color near the blooms. Is this normal? They turned a shade of burgundy. Having never seen it bloom before, I wasn't sure. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. :-)

Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9453630

So, I posted this to the ID forum. Got some response, so thanks for looking, and feel free to add 2 cents if you like. Still open to hearing any other opinions about the coloration of the leaves. Leaning to the fact that they may just be young, and will green up with age. Thanks for looking in. :-)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9454343

Tim

I don't know the answer to the question about your leaves, but I do love the flowers.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9454418

Thanks Carolyn, They are beautiful, not very nicely fragrant, but pretty none the less. I've seen so many pictures of them, but never 'in-person' before. I am enjoying it.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9454434

Tim,
That looks like new growth that is the darker Burgundy.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9454477

Yes, it is the newer growth at the end. The blooms showing up in amongst them. What has stumped me is that as this plant has grown, the young growth has been 'normal' green growth. That is until this very end part when it started to bloom. I've never seen this before, so I didn't know if this was normal. I've seen pics of others that show all of the leaves being green, even around the blooms.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9454494

Maybe it's getting more light/nutrients. I grow lots of Hoya's and this is very common.
Not to worry...looks nice and healthy.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9454560

Thanks mjsponies, Putting my mind at ease. I felt that it must be happy. After all it is blooming. :-) I never knew that there were so many different varieties of Hoya. The success I'm having with this one will most probably have me looking for others, and expanding my horizons. Thanks again!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2013
1:28 AM

Post #9455498

Tim

I would definitely check into some of the other vareties. There are so many out there and they are all so different.

Take it from a fellow hoya addict! :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America