Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: "Seedless" variety?

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 1, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Snerticus
NW corner of Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9445800

Since there are plants and trees that are developed to be "seedless" and thus not able to propagate, are there any Mimosa tree varieties as such?
upnorth2
Davenport, WA
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9446220

Dear Snerticus:

I loved my Mimosa's when we were in Hawaii. They were called "Monkey Pod Trees" there. I still am homesick for them, despite all the negatives about them. Sitting underneath one, in dappled shade, and watching the clouds in a blue sky slide by just past the lacy canopy of the Mimosa leaves was well worth all of it to me (and obviously to many other Hawaiian residents as we all had em.

I cannot grow them here (and have never heard of a seedless one) so had to find SOMETHING like it that would survive in my new home in eastern Washington. I discovered the THORNLESS Honey Locust (which differs IMMENSELY from the really nasty regular Honey Locust Tree in that it has no flowers, so no pods, and no thorns - only leaves - and never drops anything but it's leaves once a year in the fall ... when the winds are high and they simply blow away on the wind as they are smaller than my little fingernail.) This tree has leaves on shafts that look lacy in almost exactly the same way as the Mimosa, but there is no canopy effect. They do branch out sideways, however, far enough to make a small canopy if you trim the branches up to an area over your head before allowing the tree to set branches.

This one might work for you. It's in DavesGarden at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74376 though it is there with notations and photos about seed pods and flowers. Honestly, they are growing all over up here and I've never seen a flower or a seed pod, or any thorns, so wonder if someone didn't mix the information on the general Honey Locust (which has some really viscious, nasty thorns) into the THORNLESS Honey Locust info sheet area...?????

Anyway - give it a try - see what you think.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America