Photo by Melody

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Mimosa lover

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
petset77
Fort Garland, CO
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9445828

We had two pretty large Mimosas in our yard when I was a kid. While they provide a nice canopy, ours did not block enough light to stop other yard plants from growing. I've grown them in other places in more recent years, and wish they would grow up in the mountains where I live now. They're beautiful, and do have a delicate scent. I have run across individual trees that had flowers without scent, but only rarely. I think the beauty of the tree is worth the cleanup of flower drop, but that's just me- I love the outdoors, and simple chores are just another way for me to interact with it. I also love another tree which she mentions picking seedlings from her yard- Loquat. It's a great evergreen tree with some of the earliest fruit available in a home setting. I'll be building a greenhouse up here (zone 4) that will be large enough to have a loquat in. Loquats have one to three large seeds in the yellow fruit. The best way to keep from having seedlings popping up in the yard is to clean the fruit from the ground before it rots and drops seed. Better yet, harvest the sweet, delicious fruit for fresh eating or pie baking. ... or send them up here to me!

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 10:51 AM
cony
Windsor,Ontario
Canada

March 12, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9447224

I'm love mimosa tree I agree, if is zone 4 only? what happen if you grow it in zone seven or up?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America