Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Marching forward #2 Sewing & Quilting, (yaking )

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

OK new March thread. and we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300638/#new

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 10:16 PM

Thumbnail by psychw2
Victoria Harbour, ON

In for both the sewing and yakking!

Susan, that is some birthday wish lol

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Pat, I love that picture! Made my day. Thanks.

My DD got a chihuahua puppy so I made a bed for it. Scrambles tested it out before I gave it to my DD.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am trying to catch up (as usual). Thanks for the new thread, Pat. I don't get the picture though. Is this an XXX rated rabbit thing? Does this relate to a quilt? Sorry for being lame.

Betty, this fabric looks very familiar. If it's not at the neighborhood Hancock, I think it might be at the across the town QS. I'll be on the lookout. Is this the only one you need?

I have not had much time to stitch because of the annual Atlanta Society Orchid Show at the Atlanta Botanical Garden that ended last night. I had a number of orchids entered for judging (and won lots of ribbons) and was very busy working the event. So very tired now. We will go up to Maypop in the next day or two to start the Spring greens garden there. Meanwhile I've started several hundred seeds for the summer garden on heat mats and lights in our basement here.

I am making progress and will try to take pics soon.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Pat ROFL - that picture made both myself and my DH laugh so hard!! I love that sorrowful look in the bunny's eyes.....

Laurel, the picture is a bunny eating a chocolate Easter bunny, no not X rated. Just "wrong" for a "real bunny" to be munching down on a chocolate bunny. I choose a silly Easter picture because Easter is the end of this month and did not have a new quilt picture to post. Sorry.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Very clever, really...

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Got an email that Keepsake is having a 15% off sale on ALL Fabrics thru 18 March. Of course, I'm not forcing anyone to go look!!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,
on a warming trend, add the rain and much of our snow has melted!
just starting to feel human again

As for the fabric I'm about 3/4 yard short..not to worry, hopefully driving back from Florida I'll see a few Joann's and surely one should have it.

Saw this photo and had a laugh..quilters valentines day dream!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, I truly would have been happier with thread than candy! I keep plugging along. The weight loss has been very slow, I've only lost 20 pounds since the middle of November. And trust me I KNOW the reasons why!! My body has not betrayed me, I just have not been feeding it right. BUT!!! I did get to buy a size smaller jeans and new BRAS!!! YEAH!! I have tatas again!! My old bras were just non-supportive.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not a good way to lose weight being ill..got to say with hardly eating this past week I didn't lose a pound, not one!!!

My weight loss has been intentional but the realistic expectations were faster than this. I just kinda ran into to some emotional bumps that caused me to emotional eat. Seems to be my "coping technique" of choice.

Losing weight due to illness is the rough way to do it. I do hope you are feeling much better Betty.

I forgot Easter is soon, Pat. It coincides with Passover which starts at sundown March 25th until sundown April 2nd. Now I get it though. Sooo slow. I think losing twenty pounds is great. You'll probably feel better for not losing too quickly.

Betty, that is a very cute Valentine but I would not have traded the dark chocolate truffles my Valentine presented. Seeing as how I rarely eat, or even enjoy, sweets they were a treat.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Pat, there are several of us I think who stress eats. I know I do and have to be oh so careful. The other horrible thing is Kim (daughter) is a very good cook and takes these spells where she prepares special dinners for us. My down fall!! It is much worse when I am down seeing mom. I would say congratulations on the 20 pounds!!

LOL... I'm proud (and embarrassed to say) it's a total of 150 pounds. But before your jaw drops too far, know that I'm still a size 20-22. My goal is I think realistic, another 50 pounds. That will NOT make me "thin" by a long shot but under 200 pounds. I am very big boned and I'll have excess skin galore, and I may have to settle for something higher in weight in order to MAINTAIN the loss. I've lost and gained over and over in my life. As much as I'd like to continue to lose and drop the next 50, what is WAY more important to me is to become stable. I'll try to get a current picture and see if I can't find one at a higher weight. As you can imagine, I don't have many of those. I had a tendency to hide from cameras and still do.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I surely understand Pat, I know I've lost 2 or 3 people over the years. For some unknown reason now everything I eat goes straight through me, you'd think I would weigh about 80 lbs. but the weight sticks like glue.

I have heard that you can donate excess skin and the surgery doesn't cost you. Plus insurance will pay if a certain criteria for excess skin is met. I was told all this when I was going through all the steps for gastric bypass.Had my surgery date and then found out I had another condition which put the kibosh on it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

wow Karen that sounds painful..

Pat, you are on the right track saying you must look after YOU.

Just got a call, my Grace frame is ready for pick up, because it's 2 1/2 hrs away from me I'll wait until Saturday before going to pick it..they could have shipped to me but I prefer going as they have a few set up that I can play with and see how it works.

Pat - CONGRATULATIONS on the 20 lb loss! That is just Fantastic!
As for weight now as per years ago........ when I was deciding to split up with my ex, I went down to 111 lbs...... at 5'1, that was very light - I had no butt, no hips, no tummy......... oh yeah, and my tatas went almost non-existent lol
I've since gone UP 100 lbs, and now am losing some of it.
When I moved to Calgary (after being married to the "jewish momma" of a DH who kept saying "eat, eat - you don't eat enough to keep a BIRD alive), I walked off 40 lbs and got to 160. Felt a lot better. Then "emotional eating" whenever I lost a job (should have gained 150 lbs for that reason alone!) "hit" me, and I was 210 again.
Currently I'm losing weight again, and my knees thank me.......
Walking is the best exercise for me. Everyone has a "best" exercise that works for them - one for their body type, and one that they will DO (most important).
I have a theory - they are likely the same type of exercise - for body type & one you'll do....

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Our Blue Cross pays for "Silver Sneakers" a senior aerobics program. I go 3 times a week. It gets me moving and helps build stamina too. I missed some while we were traveling, but I'm glad to be back into it. Hubby goes to the club too but uses tread mills and other machines while I'm in aerobics, also covered by insurance.

I'm not a senior yet (1 to 6 years, dependant upon the program......) so I don't get those type of programs.......

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Congratulations to EVERYONE for their weight loss. It is something very difficult for some people to do. I have lost 20 pounds since last June, and feel so much better. But for 3 years, I struggled and struggled, and never lost a pound. Everyone's body works differently, but Atkins has been the answer for me. Lowering my carbohydrate intake started working right away. It only took me 4 months to drop 16 pounds, and then some traveling, Thanksgiving and Christmas came along and things slowed. I am back to a regular exercise schedule, which I haven't done in many years, and it has been easier than I expected to maintain this low-carb habit. I love to cook and bake, so when I get the urge, I just take it to work, and everyone there devours it, and I can have just a little bit, without a whole cake or pie in the fridge, calling my name. Congrats again to everyone.

Thanks for the "congrats". We need a lot of that, to encourage ourselves and each other :-)

Kudos to all for your perseverance. I yoyo up and down five or even ten pounds but that's it. Still, it's a struggle to stay at ideal weight and I panic when the pounds start inching up. Like Happytail, I love to cook. Aside from entertaining a lot I have a small catering business. I'm the proverbial Jewish mama Susan is referring to. Thankfully all my kids are thin. They always dragged their friends home for me to feed. Our house had spare kids most nights when ours hit their teens. It's been ten years since the youngest left the nest but the old friends still drop by (and sometimes stay for dinner). I like to think my kids don't have weight issues because of the kind of food they grew up eating...what came from our garden and not so much meat. Fast food is two "f" words not allowed in our house. There was a time the kids were put out about their friends' dining on McD's while they suffered family dinner and that there were never any sodas in the house but now they are all great cooks and thank me for steering the course. My husband comes from a family where everyone ranged from obese to morbidly obese. His weight is normal but he spent years switching from the diet he grew up on to the one I grew up on and learning to like it. There were no options. :)

Sweets don't excite me but I love my starches. I limit refined starches like bread and pasta but eat tons of beans, rice and potatoes. I'd rather have a bowl (or two) of beans and rice than cake or pastry. We have about a third of an acre dedicated to our kitchen garden in N. GA. and grow three seasons of produce. Physically it's a labor intensive project.

Laurel, if I could/ would eat what you describe I likely would not have developed the FAT problem. However, exercise is an iffy business for me between arthritis and exercise induced asthma, it creates challenges. I have a terrible sugar addiction that is alway attempting to take over my life. Challenges or not... our health is our responsibility.

ah Laurel....... the last sentence is the most "telling".......... you don't have much in the way of weight gain problems because you're doing physical work in your garden! AND you get to reap the benefits in garden-fresh produce! Lucky you!
When I had a veggie garden, I used to go out and fill the largest bowl I could, with fresh leaf lettuce. Wash it, add a little salt, and nummmmmmmers!!

Ok........ having a "brain freeze"...........
I have a top that's 50" wide, and the backing is only 45" wide. So, I'm going to add a border on each side of the backing to extend it.
I have material that's 14" wide.
I know that I need to have the back wider than the top, and I would like to use all 7" on each side sew it "balances". Otherwise I'd have a skinny border, right?
Sew, I'm thinking my 45" backing should be narrower then I can use all the border. What width should I cut the 45" down to????
Hope I'm being clear......

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

your fine by adding the 7" on each side.top is 49 and 3/4 adding 6 and 3/4" will give you 56 and 1/2 " all told.

56 1/2? why so large? Wouldn't it be only 1" wider on each side of the 49" so that I could add a binding afterwards?
Or were you considering that this is the binding?!

ou are saying you have 50" (less seam allowance 1/4") 49 - 3/4
adding 7" on each side (6-3/4 less seam allowance) gives you 56 - 1/2"
You need wider in n order to quilt - on frame- machine quilt - or otherwise.
Cutting it back will add exactly the same amount of " on each side. Sadly in order for this to come out squared off you'll cut some fabric off and add your binding- 2-1/2' cut on the WOF and strips sewn together on a bias. ironedin half and sewn on to the final size desired.

wait with this explanation until other opinions

Keep in mind top to bottom should be add'l inches before quilting.....

Actually, I have 48" (less 1/2" seam allowance = 47 1/2" top).
I will be hand quilting.
I thought I would have an overlap of 1" on all 4 sides, with wider batting, and then add the binding....

te other thing I like to do is add the missing in the centerand than iron everything and go from ther. you'll still have about 5-6' extra fabric. In quilting that's what she wrote.

aha - never thought about adding in the center - that sounds SO much easier......

I want to give a Heartfelt THANK YOU to you, Helene!

not in any quilting it is best not to be too cheap about extra fabric, You'll see. handquilting almost more so unless you have it framed in a quilt shop....I cringe at the fabric loss...
let is hang out
You have to learn how to do binding - it's extra - its extra $$$ but beautiful if added properly.

center is not easier but gives you a better look. than proceed keeping all the extra as I mentioned in my next post (overlapped) Bid you good night

Just realized - 1/2 hour ago I cut the fabric in 1/2 lengthwise, so have only option of putting on outside of backing.
I have a tutorial on binding, so not worried about that...

Thank you, and have a good night's sleep!

do the math 7" in the center migh work. just put your backing , add the 7" in the middle allowing 1/2" seam allowance and than the other side of the backing. see where you land. it may work. It should work

Thanks a lot, Helene - I'm comfortable with it now - I was a bit worried before.......

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Even if hand quilting w/out a frame, the back needs to be more than 1" larger than the top. It will "shrink up" as you quilt.

I leave 2"-4" on each side and cut the batting to the size of the backing.

Remember you will have a seam allowance on two sides and in two directions when adding that extra fabric.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.