Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: The Ugly Green Thumb Returns!!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 18, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

March 12, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9447349

Linda here again. The UGT survives and MAY be growing a little bit, but no discernible leaves so far. My UGT has been traveling. I took it to the Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society meeting. No one knew what it was, and I also sent photos to another weird plant shop here in town. The guy there was going to circulate the pictures to see what he could come up with. Nothing so far. Today, I took the plant to, perhaps, the best greenhouse for cacti and succulents in the whole Southwest, Arid Lands.Three ladies looked at it there and no one had a clue, BUT, one of the experts there was interested enough to take a little snip of it to look at under a microscope. She thought it might be a moss of some sort, but she also said she felt it might be synthetic. That's not so and I'll swear to it. Anyway, I'll let you know what I hear back. Sorry I could not get this post linked to the multitude of others, but I'm not techie. The mystery continues.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9447395

Hi Linda. Here is the link to the original post...just to help keep track

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292293/?hl=lindafrew

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9447436

Thanks for your persistance!
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

March 12, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9447461

The "expert" looking at a sample under a microscope could not tell if it was a moss or something synthetic?

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9447561

Thanks for keeping us posted, Linda!

When you get further results from the inspectors ask if there is a possibility of it being a Fungus stem gall. I don't remember if this was already suggested or not.
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

March 13, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9448379

Hi all. Vestia, the lady who said she'd look at it under a microscope has not reported back to me yet, but I believe she will confirm that it's plant matter. GardenGuy, I can't be sure, but I don't think the possibility of it being a fungi has been mentioned yet. I'm just lovin' it that this is something that intrigues my fellow plant nuts and I can't wait to have the mystery solved! I will keep you all posted. Linda
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

March 17, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9452730

Hi, Moonhowl. Don't know how to link them, but good to know where to find the older link. Still waiting for an answer from my "expert". Certainly, Vestia, if she can't tell plant matter from plastic, we're in trouble. I sent her some more photos of it from a few months ago to try to pique her interest. Linda

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9452769

Hi Linda...just thought I would stick that up there for any newcomers or the intrepid trompers who need to refresh their memory. To link two posts, you copy the location of the first post by clicking on the address line at the top, then go to the second post, and paste the address line into a new response.

I included a link to this thread from the old one so folks don't get lost.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 6:17 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9452785

Less trouble just post this here and say UPL Unidentifiable plant life, Next the invasion that steals us all besides our interest in this ""critter"""?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2013
2:26 AM

Post #9453113

Eagerly waiting to hear the results of the investigation. ^_^

grlwonder
Perth
Australia

March 19, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9455143

Me too. Fungus stem is an interesting idea. I keep wondering if it is an aerial root that has broken off another plant...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9455258

I googled fungus gall images...YUCK...but I found one that is "sort" of similar...Taphrina pruni on a Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa)
http://www.ispot.org.uk/node/310257
lindafrew
Tucson, AZ

April 20, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9490877

Hello to all. Well, I saw my expert a few days ago and she didn't feel she took enough of the UGT to make a determination, but now, her strong inclination is that it is a moss. She thinks she saw something very similar to it described on a National Geographic episode on the Ancient Incas, where it was growing exclusively in one valley. My UGT truly IS growing, but extremely slowly, so can't give you much news on that. Just some light green "eruptions" beginning to come out of it at the end furthest from the area where we observed roots. My "expert" asked me to bring it back when the new growth gets a little further along so she can observe that and take a little bigger piece for study again under a microscope. I think she now agrees that it's not "plastic" and states that she's never seen anything remotely like it before in person. A fungi?? I do have some bird's nest fungi in my greenhouse, so I guess it's wet enough in there for fungi in some places (this is Arizona, ya' know!), but, now that I think of it, I would not be heavily watering a Beaucarnea. In comparison with a fungi gall, Moonhowl, I would describe my UGT as "yucky" (NO offense taken!!). The mystery continues. Regards, Linda

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9490936

Could we get a peek (i.e., new photo) ? Please, please. We promise to be very quiet and not disturb it.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9490943

Yes, indeed. :-D
Opalie
Saint-Jean-sur-Riche, QC
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9490984

lindafrew,

Looking like a tree oblong fruit, you also write "It's very soft and spongy to the touch." sound like a description of a fruit for me.

Asimina (triloba??) fruit with some fungi according with what you tell before ????

Found in your terracotta pot just to mature seeds inside the fruit for a futher seeding, asimina fruit or another species.

Opalie

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9550947

Hello...anyone home? Hey Linda...any new pics or updates? It has been a few weeks...has the UGT changed any? Inquiring minds are inquiring...GRIN

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9550968

I think the UGT ate Linda-----Snuck into her bedroom and gobbled her up.

hey, Linda!!!! I know you must be bored wwith all this--but, to me, it has been one of the most
entertaining Threads of all times.

Pleas do not abandon us!!!!!!! Gita
grlwonder
Perth
Australia

June 11, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9554515

:-( I was hoping for some news of the "thing", but it is just other curious folk.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America