Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Don't kill this bug!

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 38, Views: 368
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9448104

I'm sure you know what an adult ladybeetle looks like, but how about their larvae, pupa and eggs? incidentally, ladybeetles (especially the Asian ladybeetle) BITE!

This is a link to a photo of an imature ladybeetle.

http://pendergardener.blogspot.com/2011/05/good-bug-bad-bug.html

This site has a nice photo of ladybeetle eggs.

http://www.biocontrol.entomology.cornell.edu/predators/ladybeetles.html

Here's what the pupa looks like

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/6507026

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9448324

Thanks, once again for the pics. Its much easier to remember them when I've seen pictures. Very cool.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9448380

My personal approach is that if I don't know what it is, I don't kill it. I might catch it and look it up, but with so many beneficial or neutral bugs out there that don't get a fraction of the attention the bad bugs do, I go with "innocent until proven guilty."

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 13, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9448392

And to make life a little more confusing for us gardening folks, enter the Mexican Bean Beetle. "The Mexican bean beetle is one of the few harmful members of the lady beetle family. The copper-colored adults resemble large lady beetles."
http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/mexbeanbeetle.html
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9448395

I must be really lucky, the only bug I've ever seen is the Squash bug and it's eggs and pill bugs. I know i get Spider Mites and June Bug grubs but that's about it. Spider Mites are arachnids not bugs, so they don't count : ).

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9448982

Nicole - I use the same approach. Although, if I had recognized the squash vine borer moth when I first saw it a few summers ago, I might not have the problem with its offspring as I am having now. But that moth looked so pretty flitting around the garden...

Lisa - I call everything that crawls around in the dirt a bug, even though I know they are different species.

I think your garden must contain lots of great predator "bugs" because you don't spray harmful chemicals. Given time, predator "bugs" will keep bad bugs to manageable levels. They won't completely eliminate them, because if they did, they would starve - and we don't want that.
sparklinBarb
Burnt Chimney, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9448998

Oh, NO, I've killed both larva & pupa before! Bad plant momma, I am~ Thank you, Honeybee, for making me see the error of my ways! :o(

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9449012

Barb - the first time I saw an immature ladybeetle, it reminded of an alligator! From what I have read, they eat more aphids than the adults do.
sparklinBarb
Burnt Chimney, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9449096

LOL Now that just figures!! I won't make that mistake again, for sure!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9449130

More pictures of baby lady bugs for you from my garden.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sparklinBarb
Burnt Chimney, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9449142

Dr, in your fourth picture, what are the little black thingamabobs in front of the baby, do you know?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9449172

Great photos, drthor! The photo on the far right shows a baby ladybeetle changing into an adult.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9449409

sparklinBarb
I think those are aphids.
The photo was taken on a "rat tail" radish pod and at that time they were done, the plant was weak and the aphids attacked.
Lots of lady bugs larva eating them.

The pictures below are also of lady bugs.
My husband pets eat a lot of Prickly Pear Cactus pads, so I have lots of them in his area. Sometimes I steal the pads and grill them for my self ... yummy.
Last year the cactus were all attacked my those kind of white scales ... very bad ... those black lady bugs arrived and started to take care and eat the aphids.
It was not enough. I had to scrape all of those scales and apply a mix of : soap and Murphy oil. They are ok now.

In the first picture you see the old skin of the larva.
In the second you see the larva and the lady bug.
In the third a lot of babies.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor      

back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9450173

Thanks for the great info. Honeybee, I really appreciate those links. And thanks for the caution about the Mexican Bean Beatle, Solace.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9450371

I think this is drthor's ladybeetle:

http://www.biocontrol.entomology.cornell.edu/predators/Chilocoruss.html

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9450556

It looks a lot like my black lady bug ...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9452750

We always have a healthy crop of baby ladybugs in the spring. They like to climb up the bricks on the front of our house and "molt" (?)/morph into their final stages.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 17, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9452937

Thanks for the photos and heads up. This thread would have saved many babies a few years ago. I went out on the patio and they were everywhere. I started smashing and then the light went on and I stopped.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9453073

We had ladybugs in the house. They were dropping from the ceiling and the fans. Even on to the kitchen table we just brushed them out of the way. My poor children. Lol

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9453538

My Lady Bug is working !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor         

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9459400

Was gonna start a new thread but found this topic and figured it would be a good add-on to it.

My recent lesson learned...

I'm usually overrun with snails and slugs this time of year. But haven't seen many, and very little damage, if at all. Last week I started seeing some unusual snails, never seen these cool looking snails before. Thought they looked like oceanic snails that took residence in my yard for some reason. They had a conical shell formation, nothing like I've seen before. I found handfuls of them near my container'd potatoes. Thought the worst and tossed them far away lol Yesterday, I saw at least 50 as I was watering my tropicals. Alarmed me a bit, so I knew that they'd be hiding in the nasturtiums, like snails, slugs do. To my surprise, I found a lot of dead normal snail shells. Seeing this made me start googling "snails". What I found out was very interesting. These are the snails you want! They're called Dellocate Snails(I know snails aren't "bugs") But don't kill these either. They eat and control your regular snail problem. They must take care of the slug problem too, because I haven't seen but maybe 5-6 this spring. I usually see hundreds this time of year.

Not sure how they got here, but thinking about gathering and raising a few in a terrarium to keep adding a few hundred to the yard each spring.

Sounds like they are only allowed in certain parts of the country. A few different counties of SoCal, New Mexico, and Texas.

http://www.goodsnails.com/

http://www.pe.com/iguide/family/family-headlines/20120330-master-gardener-good-snails-vs.-bad-snails.ece

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9459477

I remember those, Ray. People pay good money to buy them. Unfortunately, if your garden is like mine was in Orange, you also probably have those flatheaded earthworm-eating worms. With the worldwide nursery trade, I'm sure we'll have them here in Alabama soon, if it's warm enough for them.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9459495

Ray - thanks for introducing us to this helpful snail. I've never heard of it before.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9459646

Ray-this is so strange I found the very same thing in my garden area today. I picked up a plastic tray and under it were some pill bugs and a weird looking slug in a shell, kind of looked like a Hermit Crab shell but it was one of these snails. I have no idea how it got there since nobody lives close and I start my own plants.

We never used to have snails bc of Fire Ants but the fire ants are gone and now we have snails. Still can't believe that I found out what the strange creature is, and I just saw it today.

It's probably not warm enough where Ray lives to for those flathead worms but it's warm enough here.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9459652

[quote="NicoleC"] I remember those, Ray. People pay good money to buy them. Unfortunately, if your garden is like mine was in Orange, you also probably have those flatheaded earthworm-eating worms. With the worldwide nursery trade, I'm sure we'll have them here in Alabama soon, if it's warm enough for them.[/quote]

Ah Planarians! Thankfully, I don't have many. I have seen them under containers in the past when I'm cleaning up in the fall. Most containers have earthworms (even small salamanders) underneath. But I will find a hammerhead or 2 under a random container, living with beetles and spiders. No earthworms. I do see them a lot at work(Irvine) after it rains. Here, I don't have enough around to be a problem...yet.

[quote="HoneybeeNC"]Ray - thanks for introducing us to this helpful snail. I've never heard of it before.[/quote]

I'm happy you started this thread, at a perfect time too. Interesting that they're only allowed in certain parts of the southwest.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9459661

[quote="1lisac"]Ray-this is so strange I found the very same thing in my garden area today. I picked up a plastic tray and under it were some pill bugs and a weird looking slug in a shell, kind of looked like a Hermit Crab shell but it was one of these snails. I have no idea how it got there since nobody lives close and I start my own plants.

We never used to have snails bc of Fire Ants but the fire ants are gone and now we have snails. Still can't believe that I found out what the strange creature is, and I just saw it today.

It's probably not warm enough where Ray lives to for those flathead worms but it's warm enough here.[/quote]

I have no idea how they found my yard either, but I'm sure they've had fun munching on the tons of regular snails.

Unfortunately I have hammerheads here. Just haven't had a problem with them yet. They are pretty cool creatures, even if they're bad.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9459691

I thought I had killed the one I found, but I went back and looked and it was still there alive but stuck in the dirt. I stepped on it before I knew what it was. All I managed to do was stick it deeper in the dirt. I was trying to rescue a large lizard from the cat so I was rather distracted.

Now I have to look up hammerhead worms.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9459814

I know the common garden snail can heal a broken shell. Snails are harder to kill than you think. And no, "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" did not make me like the snails eating my garden any better.

Before I knew what the hammerheads were, I used to save them from sidewalks after a rain. *sigh*

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9459935

Hammerhead worms! Oh, my! I just read up on these and the article said they eat earthworms. It also said that cutting them in two will make them into two worms!

If (when) I see these creatures, they are going into the waste disposal! We can't have them wiping out our earthworm population.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 24, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9460285

I have not seen any but if they are here I will see them. I am always digging in my soil. Thanks for the info that they do not die easy.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9460635

Nichole- you mentioned above that you used to rescue the hammerheads from the sidewalk after a rain, do all worms get on the side walk or just this type and don't earthworms, if cut in two also make 2 worms? I have to see what they look like, I don't know if I have them or not.

Still find it so strange that yesterday was the first time I had seen one of those strange snails and then Ray mentioned it here. Still wondering where it came from.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

March 24, 2013
10:39 PM

Post #9460842

Lady bug larvae can often be found on the under side of potato leaves eating the eggs and tiny larva of the Colorado potato beetle. I had to bring one to the house and look it up to be sure.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9460932

[quote="1lisac"]Nichole- you mentioned above that you used to rescue the hammerheads from the sidewalk after a rain, do all worms get on the side walk or just this type and don't earthworms, if cut in two also make 2 worms? I have to see what they look like, I don't know if I have them or not.[/quote]

Earthworms get on sidewalks after a rain, too. (And in my basement.) I think they are tryingto escape drowning but end up drying out on the sidewalk when the sun comes out. It's a myth that earthworms become two worms if you cut them in half, although the front part sometimes survives.

Since the hammerheads are flatworms and most flatworms can reproduce by fragmentation, my guess would be that these guys do survive if cut into pieces.

P.S. The University of Florida says yes: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/Creatures/misc/land_planarians.htm
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9461237

Flatworms, ok now I know what they are. I haven't seen them here but I do know what they are. Still trying to figure out how that snail eating snail got here. Thank you, everyone! This is a great thread.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9464467

There's some good pics of them here http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/5695/

They can reproduce by splitting(purposely or against their will) and lay eggs/cocoon. Planarians are kinda cool, but definitely don't want a lot of them. They do eat other things besides earthworms. Slugs are easier prey for them. Another link http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-57%28partial%29_land_planarian.htm

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9466947

Another beneficial insect that has babies that look like alligators is Lacewings. Larva are predators like Ladybug larva.
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/cotton/insectcorner/photos/beneficial.htm

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9469549

Thanks for the link, pollengarden.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9476035

Lots of Lady Bugs babies right now in my garden ... they are everywhere

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9476042

Here you can see their metamorphoses ... they love to hide in between the rocks.

Thumbnail by drthor      Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America