Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Anyone grown 'Lemon Cucumbers'

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9448493

I bought some seeds today and I wonder if the cukes start off green and turn yellow when ripe or if they are yellow from pollination? Also, do they run anymore or any less that typical pickling cuke vines? Are they crisp enough for making pickles? Thanks for the responses.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9448495

I will let you know real soon.
I am hardening off my cucumber plants right now and plant them Friday.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9448580

I grow then up a trellis. Harvest the fruit young, before it gets to any size that might break the vines. The fruit is at its tender best then. It is still more white-green, only a little hint of yellow. As it gets more yellow the tender skin gets harder and harder, eventually you gotta peel it to eat it, and it is not worth it.
I never tried pickling them. Worth a try, if you like doing that. The vines can be very productive.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9450826

I grow them every year. As others are stated, they are best picked when they are young and just started to turn yellow. They do have a rather prickly skin (especially as they get older) so you may have to peel them if you harvest them later. I've had good luck with them, as they are quite prolific. I really like growing them because of their size and mild flavor--one small fruit is just enough for a serving :)
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

March 16, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9451698

one caveat: If you plant lemon cukes and regular (green elongated) cukes near each other, they will cross pollinate and look like a combo of the two. They will taste fine but won't look like either lemon or regular cukes. (This happened to me!)
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9451787

OK so what is "near". I may be in trouble.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9451828

Miles-I've had squash, beans, and peppers cross. It was very obvious by the look of the fruit. Everybody says you can't see it in the first generation fruit but only in the fruit produced by the xed seed. But I've seen it too. Not all the fruit showed the cross usually the later fruit. Glad to know I'm not nuts. : ).

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9454503

I have grown lemon cukes the past 2 years. They are VERY prolific and the vines are VERY long. I use a vegetable brush and scrub (gently) the little spines off the outside so that I can just peel them. I tried pickling some and they were okay, but not crispy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America