-
AuthorContent
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9449035

I am looking for a quick growing vine to provide a privacy fence that is less expensive than the # of tall arborvitae that would be needed.
I considered wild grape and Virginia creeper-but both seem to be attractive to the Japanese beetle and I am trying not to encourage them anymore.
I do have access to trumpet and bittersweet vine; my clematis don't grow as quickly as I would want them to do for coverage.
Any advice?
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9449125

i grew this where I used to live, it is fast growing, and I loved it. Not very colorful, but I put morning glories with it and they provided lots. all it took was a little attention to keep it from spawling, for me
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

March 21, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9456815

You would have to grow it on trellising or a fence. It is very dense and vining. Grows quickly. I like the morning glory idea!
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9540045

This is mine from several years ago. We loved it. It was so thick and beautiful we had to prune it very hard about every other year, It would fill the bed of my husband's full sized pick-up with trimmings. But when it was in full bloom and the wind blew it looked like it was snowing petals-Beautiful!! My only problem with it was the Japanese Beetle LOVED it!! We had to spray with Sevin and it literally rained dead and dying bugs for hours afterward! Really gross!
It just didn't come back after a particularly harsh winter so we replaced it with a Sweet Autumn Clematis which I like a lot. we prune it hard every fall soon after bloom to avoid re-seeding which can prove invasive.

Thumbnail by mwhit
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9542142

Oh, YES! It is one of the most beautiful vines when in bloom - looks like a snow bank.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9544545

Hmmm Japanese beetles..yuck..I get them on some of my plants already (not yet this season)..When I lived in my other home..I put up traps across the road where they already were on wild grape vine, princess weed etc. Would empty the 4 traps twice a day in the start-height of the season. A couple of years of that and one of nematoads..and the population dropped over the next couple of seasons. I may go with sweet autumn and more morning glory as both neighbors are avid gardeners:)
Thanks for the help!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America