Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Florida Gardening: Please help- Cassia

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9449129

Hello, I need help please. Does anyone know why my cassia tree has this mold/fungus on it? Today I was trimming it when I noticed dark tunnels inside the branches as well. When I cut into it again I noticed an ant type insect living inside the branch and eggs in there too. As you can see in the photo, the branches look like straws i never noticed this before. This is an off shoot of the mother that had died. The mother tree just died out in about 2-3 yrs, I knew back then that something killed it, but I didn't know what it was. Now I find this and these insects and I'm assuming that, that is the reason why the mother tree died? Does anyone know about these trees...please help!

Thumbnail by Nefitara   Thumbnail by Nefitara
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9449546

I am wishing I had an answer to your question Nef.

I am hoping someone here might be able to help you though. I have never had that experience before with my Cassias... Just wanted you to know I looked!
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9450762

Aww, that was nice of you David...thanks! I hope someone can answer my question.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9451404

Sorry I have been growing them only one year so I can not help either

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9477682

I did some research online and found this info...hope it helps.

Pests
The butterfly bush normally is not seriously damaged by disease or pests, but some insects do exist that feed on the plant and contribute to a decline or yellowing of its foliage. A variety of caterpillars enjoy feasting on the leaves in the fall, while injured or stressed cassia may be infested with trunk borers. These insects chew into the wood of the tree producing holes that disrupt the flow of water and nutrition to the leaves.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/jan/25/doug-caldwell-fungus-causing-rust-disease-in/

This link contains specific information about tree borers: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg007

Shauna

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9477964

Nefitara,
I have quite a few cassia but haven't had this particularly problem with them yet.
Possibly some systemic placed around the base might kill those insects and a lot of folks use Bayer drench on their shrubs that are buggy.

I have such good luck with cassia. When they break off I just poke them into the ground and off they go.

I found out one thing about ants, they can kill a big oak tree once it gets completely infested. Especially those big red carpenter ants. Had some on a new oak that is now 25 feet tall and sprayed them with plain old ant killer and it got rid of them and saved my beautiful oak.

Hope you can get rid of those bugs whatever they are.
Bonnie
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9482373

Shauna1219 Thank You!! That sounds like what is going on with my tree. I'll read more about it. Thanks so much!!
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9482379

Bonnie, that is awesome. I'm glad that worked for you...I might try that. The insects I saw looked like an ant, but one I've never saw before, they were weird looking. And I know about those carpenter ants, they killed an old tree I had in about a year. And I found out they bite...nasty little things. Thank you for the advice!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America