Parrots on the Big Island (Hawai'i)

PERTH, Australia

From the ocean we were taken into a small bay on the west coast of the Big Island, just north of Kealakekua Bay. There were cliffs surrounding the bay and we saw a group of maybe 20 parrots, who were very much at home in the hollows in the cliff face. No-one got any shots of them, but they didn't appear to be the two species of parrot shown in my bird book, but the description of the Red-crowned Amazons seems possible, except I don't recall seeing any red heads. They had long bodies and tails and were predominantly a mid-greenish colour. They kind of looked like a small species of Macaw.

Mrs Ed might be able to add to the description of what we saw.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I guess I sort of got a picture. It was with my iphone. ha. I think that I also saw some Yellow on the wings as they were flying. And they had some flocking behavior.

You know, after some googling, I think it might be the Patagonian Conure. They are supposed to be on the island and are cliff dwellers. ????

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

They are Patagonian Conures...escaped birds

Thumbnail by duckmother
PERTH, Australia

That's them alright. Did you take that shot, Kim?

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes, I did. Not very good but...

You will get the picture whenever I get finished with pix. I have finished the ones from my camera and phone. I need to go through Geoff's camera and his phone.

PERTH, Australia

Good shot, especially considering the distance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.