AuthorContent

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
10:09 PM

Post #9449839

Well everyone has been doing such a great job with this thread, let's keep the train chuggin' along...

Here is the link to the third page of the thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299711/

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 11:23 PM

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
10:40 PM

Post #9449849

dreaves>> At the top of Part 3 you asked about transplant date, well I can give you a definite date... Saturday the 16th the tomatoes will go into the Root Pouches and be put out into the garden. I still have to get the garden cleaned up, but have been involved with a new heart therapy 5 days a week, and it just messes up the day TOTALLY... Thankfully only 2 more weeks of it, so then I'll have more time for the garden.

The same is true with the cucumbers. They all have blooms on them already and the tendrils are up around the lights. I don't think we're going to have any more cold weather, so I think we're passed the posibility of frost, just hope we stay above 50 degrees.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9450122

Not necessarily veggie garden update, but next to the veggie garden. Planted out nine blueberry bushes to replace the ones that died during the drought. Very nice ones from Berries Unlimited. I'll get the drip irrigation re-installed over the weekend and mark the end of the line with a VERY bright marker to let DH know not to mow over the end of the drip lines again! Any suggestions for markers would be appreciated. He doesn't like to mow, so when he has to he just bangs it out. I'm the mower in the family now.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9450201

Terri,
What system are you re-installing? I may need your help in installing my DripWorks lines tomorrow. I'll send you a dmail, if that's ok?

Here're some pathetic pictorial updates of what's happening inside, under my fluorescent lights...

#1 A bell pepper has grown hidden by foliage...
#2 More bell pepper blooms
#3 Healthy bells

Everybody's going out tomorrow!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9450208

I've used DripWorks for some time. Very easy.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9450213

Thanks, Terri!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9450358

Finally! It's going to be 70 this afternoon, sunny and slightly breezy. It's a perfect day for my tomato and pepper seedlings to get outside for some real sunshine.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9450376

Thank you for the new thread, Kev! We left our tomato plants out last night! Hope they're okay.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9450535

No worries.
My tomatoes have been outside since February 16th and they are doing great.
Just protect them from the wind.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9450539

I did the same with mine, look okay, but it's been windy today. Have to get some more starts to the wife's co-worker who is getting his garden going this weekend... Gonna be warm one this weekend, 90 possible for Sunday & Monday... Last week we had lows in the upper 30's...Good 'ole Texas weather...

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 15, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9450548

I planted Garlic (that I didn't get to plant last fall-instead kept in a 35-degree room), leeks, and spinach in the bales on the south outside wall of the greenhouse, with a little soil on top of the wheat bales, mixed with vermiculite and perlite. I topped it off with vermiculite and loose straw strewn to keep the baby birdies off it. Watered in. Inside, there's more corn up, squash, kentucky wonder bean, but the last batch of various corn are not up, yet. Corn- Bantam, Blue Jade, Smoke Signals, Roy's Calais (and yet to plant, Mandan Bride and Reid's Yellow Dent for my chickadees).

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9450571

Kev,
You're growing the San Marzanos, right? What's the DTM on those? My avg. DTM on this batch will be 100 days, so I'm looking for a harvest beginning mid-May through the end of June. June is my cut-off date, when the tomato vines get ripped out.

The tomatoes have been in since Feb. 23rd, and I've been doing the "on again, off again" dance with the hoop cover. This was only bothersome until I figured out a method that now takes only 3-5 minutes.

The lightweight perforated plastic has stayed on 24/7 since plant out. On nights it dipped into the low 40s - high 30s, I pulled an additional, non-perforated sheet of 4 mil opaque plastic over the hoop. One windy night I added a bed sheet as a wind breaker.

Instead of taking the heavy sheet completely off, I anchored it on the bottom front corners of the hoop on one end, and sat my little red wagon on it so the wind wouldn't blow it all over. Now, all I have to do is grab it and drag it forward over the entire hoop. It's easy to reach under and grab the bulldog clips from the perfed plastic and re-clip both layers together. 3 minutes..

WHY did I wait so long to put up a proper hoop????!!!!

My soil thermometer has read 70 for the last three evenings... Suhweet!

Linda

This message was edited Mar 15, 2013 3:22 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9450583

If we don't get another freeze it will be a first, at least for me. It's supposed to be close to 90 one day then 60 the next. My fruit trees haven't even started to bud out.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9451158

In the past three years I have been very successful on taking care of the LEAFFOTED BUG.
I found out that they like SUNFLOWERS and CARDOON blossoms so much better than my tomatoes.
My Cardoon is a stunning perennial while I seed my Mammoth Sunflowers every year (most of them they self seed).

Just plant them away from the tomatoes.
Example: my vegetable garden is on the back of the house ... the Sunflowers and Cardoon are on the opposite side.

In my zone is time NOW to seed SUNFLOWERS. Push down the seed on the soil of 1". That's all.
Good Luck !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9451166

drthor - what camera do you use? Your close-up photos are beautiful.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9451170

Thanks
I am using a NIKON Coolpix P7000

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9451199

drthor - Yes, NIKON makes great cameras. I've never been able to afford one. LOL

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9451595

Peacevine Cherry Tomato - first green tomato of 2013.
This is the first year I am growing this variety. So far so good.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor      

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9451596

Cucumbers are in the garden and growing well (even under extreme winds)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9451601

Today I removed the PVC hoop house and the perforated plastic.
I built tomatoes cages and secured them. Tomatoes now have been out for one month and they are much stronger and they can take those heavy winds with no problem.

I forgot when do I start to fertilize the plants?
When I see the first flower or the first tomato?
Huumm I don't remember ... I better watch the "Tons of tomatoes" video again.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9451617

Looks as though you have a great start, drthor.

I fertilize my tomatoes from the day I sow seed, but I know others don't do this. When I transplant the seedlings to the garden, they get organic fertilizer in the hole, mixed well with the surrounding soil. I NEVER let my plants get "hungry".

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9451620

I've been fertilizing my tomatoes once a week. I use a fish emulsion liquid fertilizer.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9452183

Isn't fish emulsion very rich in N?
In general, tomatoes want less N as fruiting begins, and increasing amounts of calcium, magnesium, and potassium, right?
You can get away with more N early on.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9452205

I don't know but my tomatoes have very nice fat stems and are almost 2' tall! They've been blooming since last week, but I've been trimming the blooms off so that more energy was spent on roots and plant health. I'm planting them out TODAY or tomorrow!! When I plant them, I'll put some earthworm castings, compost, and slow-release veggie fertilizer in with the dirt in the hole.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9453541

My peppers are making lots of fruit indoor.
#1 Atris
#2-4 Corno di Toro Rosso
#3 Melrose
#5 Eggplant forming

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9453542

I love lettuce at this time of the year ...

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9453544

Today I am starting to harden-off: cucumbers, long beans and zucchini.
The rest of the cucumbers are growing well outside. I am protecting them with perforated plastic for a few more days.

rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9453559

drthor wrote:Isn't fish emulsion very rich in N?
In general, tomatoes want less N as fruiting begins, and increasing amounts of calcium, magnesium, and potassium, right?
You can get away with more N early on.

Way back when I was studying tomatoes in school, the research showed it is better to get as much calcium into the plant as you can early on and keep it coming. It is almost completely immobile once it has moved out of the xylem into cells, and it needs to be available to the fruit as soon as they start to form to reduce BER. In other words, constantly available. Calcium nitrate is a good source for people who don't mind the pure form. It can be mixed right into the water if you liquid-feed.

-Rich

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9453562

Great tips !
I have a bottle of liquid CALCIUM and I will start to apply to the tomatoes ... even if I never Had problems with BER.
At time of transplant I did put some crashed egg shells in the hole ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9453687

My tomatoes are not greening up, so today I gave them a side dressing of Ammonium Sulfate. I dug a "bowl" out in-between each plant, mixed the Ammonium Sulfate into the soil mounded around the "bowl," sprinkled a bitmore into the bowl and watered it in.

Should know something in a few hours...

This message was edited Mar 18, 2013 2:12 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9453691

what do you mean : "My tomatoes are not greeting up" ??

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9453701

"greening" up. Nitrogen-deprived...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9453718

do you have a picture?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9453732

Greening up? What are they doing instead?

We started planting tomatoes today!!! So far, we've got 3 Homestead, 4 Pantano Romanesco, 1 Rutgers, and 2 Beefsteak in the ground. Tomorrow, we'll get the tomatillos and large red cherry plants in the ground. We also still need to put up the cages for them.

We also pulled out the aphid and some other kind of bug infested broccoli plants. They were finished producing anyway, but I'll miss their flowers.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx      

Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9453913

My Early Treat tomatoes are very green, my Big Boys and Beefsteaks are not, but I think they will green up after a few more days. I just transplanted them two days ago, I was wondering why some were so "healthy" looking and some not so green. I am hoping it is just a difference in the variety.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9454201

Stephanie- did the other bug look like a beetle?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9454303

My tomatoes are not a nice deep green. More yellowish green. It's either too little Nitrogen, or a drainage issue in the bed. Since I forgot to mix in any blood meal, I chose to work with that possibility first. I'd probably need to dig out a section and run a drain pipe if it's not draining.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9454446

Lisa, I checked my bug book and they were harlequin bugs. Ick!! Gotta spray for them this evening.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9454464

stephanietx
your tomatoes looks really good !

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9454472

Thank you. I clipped off the bottom leaves and planted them deep. Added some earthworm castings & tomato fertilizer to the dirt at planting. I then watered with an organic fertilizer at a weak solution.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9454481

stephanietx
I'd like to compare my tomato plants and production to yours this year. Since we have very similar weather condition.
I'd like to understand the better time to start the seeds and transplant them outside in our area.
Would you like to do that with me?
I started my tomato seeds on Dec. 31, 2012 - Transplanted out on Feb. 16, 2013.
First "green" tomato forming on March 16th
First "red/yellow" tomato on ...
End production on ...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9454491

I'm not good at record keeping, but I'll give it a go!

I started these tomato seeds on Jan 13. I've already had a lot of flowers form, but I've been cutting them off since they weren't in the ground yet.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9454492

ok, thanks
I did the same with my tomato flowers too.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9454569

My tomato seedlings are out on the back porch today. I've had them out for an hour or two all weekend and about six hours yesterday. Today they will be out for eight hours. The bed is ready and the stakes for Florida weave will go in probably tonight after work. If the weather holds then I will plant out this weekend. The pole beans are planted out, as is some lettuce. I just ordered some more sunflower seeds as well as some gomphera (did I spell that right? Doesn't look right to me this morning). The pepper and eggplant seeds are starting to sprout. Next I'll be working on the melon and sweet corn beds. Just need to find room for my peanuts and sweet potatoes and I should be set. I'm growing some of the tomatoes and some of the zucchini and squash in with the baby blueberry bushes this year. I think I'm going to have to cut out a new bed this spring too! The veg and fruit garden is growing!

Does anyone suggest a cover crop for a new bed to help choke out weeds and to be turned under for green manure? This would be a summer cover crop. I was kind of thinking sunflowers but am open to suggestions as I've not done a summer cover crop before and have yet to do any research...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9455000

Plant your sunflowers away from your veggies because the sunflowers attract leaf footed bugs.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9455042

OK, they will be about 20 ft away.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9455049

You mean, if I planted some in my neighbor's yard, they would leave my tomatoes alone?

SUH-WEET!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9455053

Scroll-up and read post Post #9451158 about Sunflowers and Cardon.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9455155

Oh my...hit the pine straw motherlode today. I had to stop at 16 garbage bags full because I couldn't balance any more in the pile in the back of my truck. I say "I" like I hauled any myself... the boy did it all for me.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9455182

Way to go Nicole!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9456164

Woo hoo!

Uh, I just read something that said I was supposed to pull all the blooms off the bell pepper plants that are still under lights, so the plant would grow to full size and be able to hold up its fruits.

My bells are LOADED with blooms. I haven't potted them up (this evening), so is there still time to remove the blooms? Should I leave them alone? Will the plants continue to grow properly once planted out?

Shoot! They are gorgeous, too...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9456368

I've read all over DG that blooms should be removed from plants that aren't in the ground. That's always been my practice as well.

It takes away from the plants ability to produce roots which is the most important thing. They need energy to make good roots not fruit, right now.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9456406

So...it's suppposed to be 36 degrees on Sunday evening. Should I cover my transplants? Should I hold off on planting the rest of my tomatoes? Should I go ahead and plant my other seeds? Help!!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 20, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9456416

I would definitely cover the transplants, stephanie, and maybe put some gallon milk jugs under the blankets with them filled with hot water. I'd wait on the other tomatoes. The seeds- it depends on what kind they are.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9456867

Stephanietx and Solace, I have a pile of milk jugs and soda bottles (we try not to dring soda, but the neighbors are happy to let me have some of theirs) just for this time of year. Of course the weather may change by then...

Gymgirl, I'm a bloom remover too. Once the plants are in the ground I will also remove a few blooms if the plants themselves don't look like they are up to speed. Let them put their energy into growing a good strong plant and then they can do the bloom/fruit thing. I do that wil my peppers and eggplants mostly.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9456877

Ok, ya'll,
I removed ALL the blooms from the bell peppers (found two more peppers almost 3" long!!!!). Still didn't get to pot them up, and, at this point, don't think I will. My neighbor is ready to plant some out in her sunny patch, so I'll start hardening them off...

Stephanie,
I'm partly with Solace.
►Cover the transplants. 39 isn't freezing, but they'll need protection more from the wind than the cold...

►Wait on the other transplants...

►I'd go ahead and throw the seeds...if you have a piece of dark plastic, you could throw the seeds, then cover them with the plastic. The sun will help warm the soil for these next couple nights with chilly dips (next Monday-Thursday here, I think)

Do you have a hoop up? That'd solve a lot of on again, off again protection issues...
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9456898

I used to watch The Victory Garden religiously. Bob Thompson always said to put a board over freshly planted seeds if the weather was going to turn bad. Of course don't use a board if the seeds have sprouted, but I've used a board may times to protect the seed from weather or dogs even. It does work. Sometimes the old ways...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9457120

I've never plant Peppers or Eggplant until the low temps are consistenty above 55*. They don't like the cold and may even stunt them. Some people recommend 65*, with the temps doing what they do every year at this time I would wait to put them in the ground.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9457264

I'm with Lisa -- I want the soil warm and nights at a minimum above 55F (whether naturally or under hoops, etc.) If I try and get them out too early, they just stall out and don't restart until it's even warmer, so I don't end up getting fruit any sooner.

I'm probably at least a month away from putting out tomatoes and peppers here.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9457364

My transplants are already too big for milk jugs to cover. I thought of that, tried one on for size, and came up short (or tall??). I did plant one other Beefsteak today as it's stem had bent over. Decided to plant it really deep to cover up the bend and hope it roots itself. I'll plant the rest of the transplants next week. Still figuring out what I want to do with the seeds.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9457403

Isn't April 11 last frost date for FW? Try a 5 gal bucket instead of a milk jug...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9457440

Nichole- if I use hoops then they roast during the day, if I don't get a chance to remove them. It's supposed to be in the low 60s and 30s next week. For the first time in all my gardening life I'm happy I'm behind. Lol

I really think it's more like zone 7b here anyway.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9457517

Kitt, the 5 gal bucket is a good idea, but I don't have as many buckets as I have plants! LOL Guess I'll make a run to Home Depot tomorrow and buy enough.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9457550

How many plants are you trying to cover?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9457580

I think I have a dozen to cover. Mark said we'll make a trip to Home Depot (or go dumpster diving because it's bulk pick up day tomorrow) to get more. LOL

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9457615

The buckets never go to waste at our house, theres always something we need a few more for...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9457640

We use them as weed buckets and a host of other things.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9457721

12 isn't too bad. I luv to go dumpster diving but it embarrass my kids. However, everything I do embarrasses my kids so it doesn't stop me. Ive even told them, " you don't like anything I do, so I'll do it anyway ". Lol

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2013
12:29 AM

Post #9457771

steph... As an experienced diver, depending on how big your plants are, how about some of the 2 or 3 gallon nursery plastic pots? With some plastic sheeting, you'd have a little hoop house. BTW, a good source for FREE buckets, usually, is a BBQ restaurant. Empty pickle buckets are great, and easy to clean. I've got a bunch of transplants going to various people, and I'm going to advise them to hold off planting until after this little cold snap, especially the peppers & eggplant. I'm figuring they ought to be able to get away with the tomatoes, as long as they are covered, and bring the peppers & eggplant in at night...

Just watched the weather for the next 7 days, and it looks like we're about to have lows in the 40's next week until Wednesday, so I don't think it'll be too bad on the tomatoes. I still have the option to move them since they'll be in the fabric pots, plus the fact they are supposed to be warmer in the winter.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 1:33 AM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9458145

My eggplants and peppers are just starting to sprout this morning. They are out on the back porch with a heat mat in one of those BioDome starting kits. I've used the same one for years. The tomato seedlings are sitting right next to them, off of the heat mat without the cover. They are starting to look pretty good with their second set of true leaves. Doesn't look like the weather will hold through the weekend. But my soil has been at a consistant 65 degrees for over a week now so I think I should be able to plant the tomatoes out maybe Monday depending on the weather up, up in the sky--sometime next week anyway. I usually check my Farmer's Almanac and see what it says about the best days to plant what. I've been cutting up "dixie cups" to make cutworm collars for the

The pole beans are sprouting but they are under cover of Romex (sp?) so they should be fine. I have to cover almost all sprouting seeds out here as the crows will just wait for me to leave for work and pluck everything out of the ground if I don't.

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9458149

This has nothing to do with gardening - but I got my solar system finally completely hooked up today!! I signed up for it in June of last year so it took forever. Of course today's an overcast day, with no real sunshine forecasted until Monday. I'm just excited that it finally came installed!
Jo-Ann

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9458157

Solar panels on your roof for electricity?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9458161

Congrats, Jo-Ann! I debated getting one last summer before the TVA cancelled their contracts paying a premium on buying back energy, but there were too many trees that would have to come down at a fairly high expense, so the ROI was past when I'd have to start repairing/replacing parts. Ah well, I'll look at it again in a few years.

My retaining wall was finished this morning... time to landscape. I'll be posting over in Garden Design about that project. It's not as exciting as a solar system, but it's pretty exciting to me!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9458301

terri.. Down here just south of Austin they're predicting lows in the low 40's thru next Wednesday. I'm definitely holding the peppers & eggplant from the pots, but I may escape with the tomatoes being covered. Are they predicting freeze up your neck of the woods??

My peppers & eggplant went out today to various gardeners, and most of those were already 2-3" tall. They got started mid-February, and actually look pretty good. Going to start a second planting for set-out end of April.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9458319

Kevcarr59, Wednesday the weatherman said definite frost for Sat or Sun night. Thursday this same guy said Sun night frost but probably not Sat. This morning he backed off the whole thing and said we should cover the plants both nights, but if we do get frost it will only be lite. I only really need to cover the pole beans and they are already covered due to the crows. The rest hasn't been planted out yet. So they can come inside at night. From looking at my Weather Channel desktop app it looks like we will dip into the 30's Sun - Wed nights. Our average last frost date should have been last week. I've been holding off planting early this year. My big problem here in my garden is the incessant wind. It really can desiccate the little plants. I recently unpacked a box of books from the big move four years ago (will I ever stop finding stray boxes to unpack?). I found my precious Victory Garden book published in the 70's. That is where I was reminded of the board thing. Bob Thompson put boards over freshly planted seeds when frost might be an issue. Also came across a drawing of an 8" x 1" set on angle and propped up with stakes to protect a row of your sprouts from the wind and mid-day sun.

I'll wait for the peppers and eggplants to go out when the soil temps register more into the low 70's. At least 70. LOL!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9458448

I am ready !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor         

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9458451

I might be off topic here ... but last year somebody did ask me which color is the tomato sauce using yellow tomatoes ...
Here it is ! Today I was making "ragu bolognese" = tomato sauce with ground meat.

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9458465

One year I canned some yellow tomato sauce -- nothing special, just Beam's Yellow Pear. It was such a brilliant yellow the jars brightened up the whole pantry like a bit of summer sun all winter. We have ladies here who sell canned goods at the farmer's market -- they should add it to their repertoire, they'd sell out every time.

I can understand the question, though, since some many of the "colored" veggies lose their special color when being cooked.

I haven't tried canning any of the dark purple or brown varieties. I'd guess their sauce would be dark, but I wonder if it would look dingy. Has anyone tried?
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9458555

I picked up two tips while listening to a short radio program. First, water you seedlings that are indoors in the morning, then let them stay dry during the night. I am guilty of watering them way too much I think.
Second, and I had never heard this: When hardening off seedlings (tomatoes was the plant used in the program) after you work up to them staying out all day, then move them to the drive or paved walkway so they are exposed to the extra heat. The program stated that plants depend on heat hours to mature as well as hours exposed to sunlight.
Any gardeners out there ever try this?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9461058

I usually harden mine off on the back porch, which is concrete. Once they are out there for eight hours they would be getting sunlight in the morning and then again in the afternoon. So I guess I'm sort of doing that without knowing. They seem to do fine.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9461348

It's snowing. I do not approve.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9461471

Bummer...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9461864

Nicole-it was 30* outside this AM if that helps.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9462213

It's even cold in here. It was 43 degrees when I woke up this morning.
Jo-Ann

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9462277

Stupid North Atlantic Oscillation.

Last I heard, the long term forecast suggested that after this time of below average temps we'll just to above average temps. If so... it'll be one of those years without a spring.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9462338

This one's for YOU!

"You Know You're Addicted to Gardening When..."

-Your neighbors recognize you in your pajamas, rubber clogs, and a cup of coffee.
-You grab other people's banana peels, coffee grinds, apple cores, etc. for your compost pile.
-You have to wash your hair to get your fingernails clean.
-All your neighbors come and ask you questions.
-You know the temperature of your compost every day.
-You buy a bigger truck so that you can haul more mulch.
-You enjoy crushing Japanese beetles because you like the sound that it makes.
-Your boss makes "taking care of the office plants" an official part of your job description.
-Everything you touch turns to "fertilizer".
-Your non-gardening spouse becomes conversant in botanical names
-You find yourself feeling leaves, flowers and trunks of trees wherever you go, even at funerals
-You dumpster-dive for discarded bulbs after commercial landscapers remove them to plant annuals.
-You plan vacation trips around the locations of botanical gardens, arboretums, historic gardens, etc.
-You sneak home a 7-foot Japanese Maple and wonder if your spouse will notice.
-When considering your budget, plants are more important than groceries
-You always carry a shovel, bottled water and a plastic bag in your trunk as emergency tools.
-You appreciate your Master Gardener badge more than your jewelry.
-You talk "dirt" at baseball practice.
-You spend more time chopping your kitchen greens for the compost pile than for cooking.
-You like the smell of horse manure better than Estee Lauder.
-You rejoice in rain...even after 10 straight days of it.
-You have pride in how bad your hands look.
-You have a decorative compost container on your kitchen counter.
-You can give away plants easily, but compost is another thing.
-Soil test results actually mean something.
-You understand what IPM means and are happy about it
-You'd rather go to a nursery to shop than a clothes store.
-You know that Sevin is not a number
-You take every single person who enters your house on a "garden tour"
-You look at your child's sandbox and see a raised bed.
-You ask for tools for Christmas, Mother/Father's day, your Birthday, and any other occasion you can think of.
-You can't bear to thin seedlings and throw them away.
-You scold total strangers who don't take care of their potted plants.
-You know how many bags of fertilizer/potting soil,/mulch your car will hold.
-You drive around the neighborhood hoping to score extra bags of leaves for your compost pile
-Your preferred reading matter is seed catalogs.

And last but not least:

You know that the four seasons are:
►Planning the Garden
►Preparing the Garden
►Gardening
~and~
►Preparing and Planning for the next Garden!

Author Unknown. I'd love to give credit to the rightful author.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2013 8:12 AM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9462362

Gymgirl - I'm guilty of most of the above, but I would add two more...

I find myself removing dead leaves from plants when I visit nurseries, and sticking my fingers in pots to see if they need water!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9462373

37F this morning !
I used all the blankets I have ... ahhhh

I keep eating lots of lettuce and carrots.
In the middle "straight" carrots planted in FRUIT dates, while the ones on the side are carrots planted in the wrong dates ... funny carrots.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9462381

I've seen versions of that one before and always get a chuckle from them. Thanks for this one!

I got the biggest laugh from the one that listed the point that Roger Swain (the bearded guy from the Victory Garden) started looking good to you. He was a great guy and an even greater teacher, but that beard...☺

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9462479

Drthor,
Are you freezing all that lettuce?

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9462495

Gymgirl... There was a FUNNY comparison many years ago about buying firewood versus getting your own, it was absolutely great. Buying a new 4X4 truck vs. getting the wood delivered, Going to the hospital after cutting yourself when the saw bucked and caught you in the thigh... Throwing the wood in the back of the truck and busting out the back window were just a few that I can remember...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9462504

You cannot freeze lettuce.
I eat it every day. My DH eats just a little bit of lettuce ... he says that he doesn't like to eat the some stuff of his pets ... kind of funny - but true !
I eat half a package a meal ... weee
I had the luxury to be raised in a country that has a lot of varieties of "fresh" vegetables.
Some people eats vegetables to loose weight or to stay in shape, I eat vegetable like they are candies ... love it !
I just wish to have lettuce in the summer in a salad together with cukes and tomatoes ... oh well ... we cannot have everything !

Now, my plan is to harvest a bag a day ... I need to make room for eggplants and peppers.

This year I think I figure out he best planting dates for lettuce.
In my garden: August and mid November.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9462520

The leaves on my avocado tree curled up and went brittle in the cold, but since it's suffered so many things (including being chewed to the ground by Puppy last spring) and still come through, I have faith it'll pull through.

Something gross had started gnawing through my collards, so I pulled them out and will replace them with some more tomato seedlings once the weather evens out. I went a bit overboard with tomatoes, but I do love them so.

Others coming up inside are friarello peppers, cushaw, okra, cukes...looks like our weather is headed from chilly to 77 in a few days, so hopefully it's not too early to start the okra.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9462529

Nola_Nigella
you must try LONG BEANS this year. You eat the whole pod and not the beans.
They are BUONISSIMI !!! and they love the heat !!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9462598

Dr Thor! I've got some long beans started up, about half of them inside are taking off like rockets. They seem as though they need a lot of space - I'm going to give them a whirl alongside my house.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9462608

"-You have a decorative compost container on your kitchen counter."

Is an old Folgers coffee can with the "aromaseal" lid decorative? Granted, that didn't work so hot the one morning I walked out to the compost pile and dumped it, and then realized I'd picked up the can of coffee I just opened instead of the compost...

I'd like to add to the list:
- Your retirement location planning assessment includes growing zone and soil type.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9462962

LOLOLOL, NICOLE!!!!! ^:-)^

That sounds like something I would do! With my coffee cup in the other hand, in my jammies!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9462968

Well,
Once AGAIN, I have these HUMONGOUS bean sprouts growing in my compost can. These things are HUGE! Thick as a chopstick, with long stems, and the seed head looks like a big old bean. I can't figure out what they are!

I did NOT sprinkle any alfalfa pellets in this batch, so that ain't it...

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9463012

Hope they're not castor beans, lol.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9463024

Show us a pic Lynda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9463032

My guess is squash seeds, Linda. They get big like that.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9463179

My reaction to many of those was "OF COURSE! Wouldn't anyone? How could you NOT?"

>> -You can give away plants easily, but compost is another thing.

I know that one well. Me too. "Love thy neighbor" only goes SO far!

>> -You have a decorative compost container on your kitchen counter.

I never thought of decorating them. But I could use BIGGER ones!

IPM - is that for when non-gardening in-laws come to visit?

Some author described a gardener as wishing he had the biggest "garbage pile" in the valley.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9464117

More lettuce and peppers.
I am trying to harvest lettuce as fast as I can. I need the space for other veggies and the lettuce seem to start to bolt.

Thumbnail by drthor

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9464143

Asparagus is up!

Funny... I ordered Martha Washington but these spears are most definitely purple, and not in a vague "sometimes the tips are purplish" kinda way. Surprise!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9464147

LOL! NOIDs?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9464236

The vendor doesn't even *sell* purple asparagus.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9464440

Maybe they are cold. : /
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9465177

NicoleC wrote:The vendor doesn't even *sell* purple asparagus.

Maybe they don't think they do. Are they actually growing the plants or just acting as a retailer? Could be they got a shipment of purple asparagus plants from their supplier without knowing it.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9465181

rjogden wrote:
Maybe they don't think they do. Are they actually growing the plants or just acting as a retailer? Could be they got a shipment of purple asparagus plants from their supplier without knowing it.

They are supposed to be a grower, but even growers sometimes source from other places. I don't really care that they are purple; I was just happy at how lovely and healthy the crowns were.

The SO won't eat alternatively colored vegetables but I doubt he'd eat the asparagus anyway.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9468615

I thought that the purple asparagus turned green once cooked??? Maybe I have that confused with the purple pole beans...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013

Post #9468855

I have started to trim my tomatoes.
I trimmed all the leaves below the first flower blooms and all the leaves that touched the ground.
The plants are making lots of suckers and I am trying to remove them, apart Gold Nugget and Koralik.

Cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, eggplants and beans have been hardening off for last week.
I will transplant them tomorrow and Wednesday.

I just love this time of the year !!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9468910

I am waiting to get headed for home. What I am planting will be seeded directly outside when I get there, Or I will pu a few plants that I have no seeds fo rto add to their new home. I cant wait, but tho I am ready my load to the house isnt materializing today, sigh.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9468934

WEEKEND UPDATE:
The tomatoes have "greened up", and are starting to crank out marbles!
The beets in planters on the patio are looking much healthier since I sprinkled Sluggo Plus and stopped the pill bugs from munching holes everywhere...
Onions are holding steady...
Spinach was being munched by a cutworm who was killed in a freak accident!
Black Beauty Eggplants outside are taking off in an EB.

Here're some pics.
#1 Beets in a planter
#2 Kimberly Cherry Tomato
#3 Black Beauty Eggplants in an EB
#4 Onions from seeds sowed in August 2012
#5 Spinach being munched on by a cutworm or a locust/grasshopper

Linda

This message was edited May 10, 2013 11:18 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9468983

We're due for another round of cold weather the next couple of days. :/ Thankfully, it's not supposed to freeze, but still down in the 40s overnight.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9468989

DrThor, you can take those suckers, root them, and make great new tomato plants for yourself or as gifts.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9468997

Freak only in that he got seen, chuckl. you guys are doin yourself proud.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9469033

Thanks, Steph! I need to go check the weather report again!

Thanks Kitt!
I was so outdone when I finally found him (had been looking for days), that I overcame my fear and grabbed his butt with my bare hand, and carried him over to the place of no return...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9469191

I checked the babies again tonight. I am pretty sure they're going to make it if we can get them through this next cold snap!! Tonight, I cut off the freezer burnt leaves off the maters, the flower stalks off my onions, and I sprayed the tomatoes with a combination of soap, liquid horticultural molasses, compost tea, and fish emulsion. I did this to feed and nourish the babies as well as to keep the bugs away since they're already stressed.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9469760

First Japanese Beetle sighting. He may soon be attracked to and killed by a freak chemical spill LOL! I have those bag/trap things ready to set up. If only I could train those feral hogs to eat J/B grubs. You know, like they train Italian hogs to root up truffles.

Tomatoes have been hardened off and will start planting as the week goes by. I planted out more pole beans and some cucumbers over the weekend. Also some zuc. They should be OK with the cold snap as they have crow covers on the bed. I planted out the special sweet corn I bought that is supposed to be able to germinate in cooler soil temps. That bed is covered, too. So we shall have to see about that.

My soil temps are nearing a consistant 70 degrees. Once this cold snap is past I can see some more sweet corn in my future.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9470006

Yep! Sounds like things are about to start revving up around here!

My two vacant raised beds were prepped weekend before last, and this weekend, my hope is to sow seeds!

In RB #1, Bell peppers, Okra, swiss chard, more eggplants, maybe some beans?
In RB #2, beet, turnip, and carrot seeds on one end, and eggplants on the other end.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9470059

Soil temp yesterday: 68F.

Last year it was 73F on April 1st, but it *has* been a colder March than December!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9470085

terri_emory wrote:If only I could train those feral hogs to eat J/B grubs. You know, like they train Italian hogs to root up truffles.

I wish! Or train them to jump into the smoker. ;)

How was the weather for y'all in Texas?

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 2, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9470105

It was 54 degrees and snowing earlier this afternoon.Now, it's grey and dreary,with blue showing above the thunderclouds (but no thunder,so far). I planted some more seeds last night, and trying to get the energy to plant some more this evening. I think the cloudiness makes me tired. Or maybe it's the new baby. A red heeler/blue heeler cross, seven weeks old. Keeps me hopping. So far he's explored the greenhouse, but won't go near the chickens. He chases the cat and herds the other dog where he wants him to go. He sure is a nipper... but, I guess, hence, "heeler". I think I've gone back in time when my children were toddlers, 'cause I find myself putting toys away in the evening. He's an angel when he's asleep, lol.

Thumbnail by Solace

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9470451

My onions are starting to make a bulb.
Cucumbers are making little fruits.
Tomatoes are full of bloom and getting stronger
Fennel is almost ready to harvest

yummy !!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9470453

I am still eating a lot of lettuce ... I need to keep harvesting before it will get too large and bolt.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9470585

Solace, that sure is one cute "baby". We had a red heeler--one of the rarer smaller varieties. She was supposed to be my younger son's dog but she was so full of energy I was the one who walked her for over three miles each morning before work and usally another three miles before bed each night. YS played and walked her after school. A friend did some extensive research on types of heelers after a trip to Australia and told me that she would have been used to bring cattle in from outlying areas and would have been expected to trot for miles in very hot and dusty conditions without a break. I believe it. That dog never even started to pant unless I took her for the longer hikes on the weekends. All that exercise must have done her some good though, as she lived to be 20 years old. When we moved down here our vet couldn't believe she was that old until I found a file with all her shots records, etc. She was really smart, too.

Nola, windy and rainy with thunder and lightning here today. I'm trying to get a rose hedge going around the veggie part of my garden to help some with the almost constant winter/spring winds we get here at my place. They really tear up the young plants. The climbing roses looks like they are starting to come into their own. But something is chewing away at my Stanwell Perpetuals. I'm going to have to figure that out as I can see that that "something" will be moving on to the veggie garden if they get bored with ringing rose canes.

drthor, that fennel looks good. Do you use it in salads or cook with it? I've seen recipes calling for fennel but I don't recall eating it in anything other than a carrot/fennel salad I used to be fond of as a child.

Gymgirl, oooo I forgot about my okra seeds. Thanks for reminding me. My memory bank seems to be getting too crowded lately. It seems I have to write what I want to plant when on the calendar and then pull out the seeds at night and line them up on my kitchen counter. Otherwise I forget to get them started when I want. Thanks for reminding me about the okra.

I need to write peanuts on my calendar, too. I tried growing them last year and had marginal success. I need more experience so this year can only be better! There seems to be varieties that do specifically better in one region of growing conditions and soils over another. I'm trying to find the right one or two varieties that will do consistently well in my garden. And then just plain learn how to grow them LOL! This year I'm trying out Schronce's Deep Black peanut and Texas Red and White peanut.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9470654

Rainstorm last night. Pulled the protective plastic over the tomatoes. They were expecting hail...

The last two hits of rain have sent my tomatoes skyrocketing! Can't wait to check them out today!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9470807

terri_emory
I love Fennel. Last year I was gone too much and I missed my Fennel planting date ... I just have a few of them that made it.
You can eat Fennel raw. Just cut in very thin slices or you can make Fennel soup, saute, stir-fry ... also Fennel (similar to Dill) go so well with fish.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9470863

I just checked my garden pictures of 03 April in 2011 and 2012. My garden was full of flowers/ Also my tomato plants were already loaded with green tomatoes.
This year we are behind. It has been much cooler ... flowers will bloom soon and tomatoes will also start to produce ... maybe this year we will have a nice cool summer ... maybe?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9470876

HAH!

You wish! A nice, cool summer????? In Texas?????

LOLOLOL!

sorry. I got carried away...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9470928

More likely to just be extended longer into the fall than cooler, like it has been doing last few years. plan a 2nd summer garden?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9471693

2nd summer garden...you betcha! I've been getting more and more into that.

Thanks, drthor. I think I'll start experimenting with it. I saw some fennel in the grocery store the other day. Probably not as good as home grown but should be good enough just to see if we like it...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9471725

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145889/?hl=growing fennel#new
terri_emory this is the thread I started a while ago during my learning experience on how to grow Fennel in our area.
It does grow really well ... it just needs to be seeded at the right time.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9471769

Thank you ☺

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9472284

Greets: man, I have missed a LOT! Still a slow starter on my veggies, but this year was earlier than last. Enjoying the thread very much. Nice work, everybody.

A.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9472546

I was wondering where you went to...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9472555

She was "barrister-ing"... LOL!

It was COLD this last night and this morning! Into the mid-40s. I turned on the heater!

Ya'll know several of us have been pushing the weather envelope, right? Well, my BEETS, MUSTARD GREENS, CARROTS, and CABBAGES, are doing wonderfully well! I had almost decided to rip 'em last weekend, but, because ya'll were talking about a cold front, I let them be. Soon as the chill came through, they started growing faster.

I'm contemplating sowing seeds for more of the above, to see how far I can take them in a shady, breezy spot in my yard, between now and the end of July. If I cover them with the tulle (which, BTW, is doing a FINE job of keeping moths off of the bell peppers that have been hardening off), and spray them, periodically with some Bt, I might manage to keep the buggies at bay.

The breeze could be handy for keeping the air flowing through the plants, even though it will be relatively warm air.

What do ya'll think? Go for it? No? Too late?

Lemme know.

P.S. Does anyone use Microlife in their RBs? I have a 40 lb. bag that I bought to try out. I mixed it into the tomato bed as recommended, but wanted to get some feedback from a real live user. Please lemme know how it works for you.

Thanks!

Linda
ladysoth
Alexandria, VA

April 5, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9472682

This weather is a buzzkill! We're finally gonna get a warmup this weekend - yay! It's been so cold - it was in the mid-low 20's when I got up yesterday!

Got my tomatoes out into my Wall-O-Waters last weekend and they're safe and snug. I'm gonna set up some for my peppers this weekend and get them out of the house. I need some room to start cukes. My kale, brocolli, lettuce and peas seeded outside are FINALLY starting to come up but I'm worried about them cause I have a feeling that next month at this time it's gonna be in the 90's.

I'm a soft cast and the weeds are taking over my flower beds. I was able to stand there and cut down alot of the grasses and other dead stuff from last season (I leave it up over winter for the birds and then cut it in spring for nesting material) but now I can't get in there and pick it up and dispose of it. My DH has no interest in gardening so I'm considering hiring a neighborhood kid to do it.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9472728

I'm so tired of this bi-polar weather! I need to get my stuff planted, but it's been so dang cold that I'm afraid to put anything else out. My tomatoes are hanging in there. They're still green, so that's a plus!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9472747

Like I said...my winter veggie hold outs are VERY happy!

Uh, Microlife?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9472891

We have a lovely looking forecast ahead of us for the next week, and my 'mater transplants are about the right size to go outside soon. Another week or two and the soil temp will probably be high enough with a warm forecast. I hope.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9473003

I'm guessing this:

http://microlifefertilizer.com/

It seems to be a product line with organic liquid or granular fertilizers, and multi-purpose innoculents.

"... with a very comprehensive grouping of positive soil/plant microorganisms."
"47 strains of beneficial bacteria and fungi including Streptomyces, Trichoderma, Pseusomonas, Gliocaldium and a extensive variety of Bacillus "

I'm not affiliated with them. And haven't tried their products.

I do push screened pine bark, Bok Choy and Chinese cabbage at every opportunity, but I don't know much about organic fertilizers other than my own compost heap.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9473194

HA! Stephanie "bi-polar weather!" I laughed out loud. Thanks.

A.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9473436

I am the "fearless" gardener. I have everything transplanted out apart okra and watermelon.
So far so good.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9473735

I am still harvesting a lot of Lettuce ans Swiss Chard.
I think my skin is turning "green".

I am tempted to order some of Dixondale LEEKS, am I still in time to plant them now?
or will they flower during our hot TX summer?

I have zero experience with leeks.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9473751

Theyb would have been better when planted with onions, they like the cooler days, but you can plant them now... I prefer flavor in my onion veggies and these are usually too mildly iffy for me...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9473798

Some of my onions have started sending up flower stalks! Eeek! I've been cutting them off. I don't remember my onions doing this in previous years.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9473824

Stephanie, I, too, chuckled when I saw "bi-polar weather". Describes it exactly!

As to the onions sending up flower stalks - I seem to remember someone on DG saying that if onions stop and then start again they think they've gone through a growing cycle already.

I have onions that are sending up flower stalks, but they are onions that were left in the ground from last year. I'm hoping they will set viable seed and self-sow for next year.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9473831

I planted some onions on purpose last year that someone brought over when they were cooking. I don't eat onions! I figured since they were alliums . . ... And they had lovely white blooms and the bees loved 'em. :D

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9474080

stephanietx
I also found maybe just a couple of flower buds in my onions.
I did remove them right away.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 6, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9474197

Set out long beans (thanks, Drthor!), more tomatoes, okra, and a couple of squash today, along with seeding a few shaded containers with microgreens/arugula.

I had a rotten day to start. I run online communities for work, like this one, but with not nearly as many nice people, and people were just awful to me today.

But then! I went to a street fair, and one of my favorite local garden gurus recognized me as "Our Compost Girl!" and gave me a hug and a t-shirt. Plus, a box of ladybugs arrived, and the kiddos and I let them loose this evening. Plus, my peppers put their heads up finally, and some ramps I potted up, and a garden show tomorrow. So all's well that ends well in the dirt!

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9474227

drther, I have leeks in my raised beds, that were planted last year. Due to unforeseen promblems was not able to harvest last year. They have doubled in size and even grew little ones.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
10:55 PM

Post #9474287

My plants are so much smaller this year due to the cold weather. It was freezing here Friday AM. I also direct seeded some squash and cukes but they too are taking longer then usual to sprout. I sowed some radish seeds and have beet seeds soaking (going to sow tomorrow). But I looked at the temps for next week and they are forecast to be lower then this week. I usually don't do beets this late but when I saw the forecast I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm going to try tulle also, if nothing else, to keep the pea fowl from messing with my plants. First they broke a couple of tomato transplants by knocking a pot over. Now they got in the upper garden and messed with the transplants in the garden. They did this to some onions I have in containers but they stopped after a day or two. This is the first year I've ever had problems with them, I don't know what the difference is. I want to find something to stop them before I plant out much more. Once the plants get big it won't be a problem. Still haven't started my Roselle, I usually start them in 4" pots at the end of Feb. but it's been too cold.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9474444

Txtea
thanks for the info. I did order some from Dixondale.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2013

Post #9477735

HA! The air conditioning came on in the house today!!!

Whether that is a good thing or not, I can't say, but at least I can tell there's a change in the air.

Hope everybody's enjoying the same.

A.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9477745

My A/C will be on today and the heat tomorrow.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 9, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9477787

It's snowing, here. Getting down in the mid 20s at night. Enjoy your air conditioning (must be nice, said the envious gardener here); our air conditioning is pretty chilly. Glad I didn't set out my seedlings... more on that in the Rocky Mountain gardening forum. Aargh.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9477800

Cucumbers are making fruit and Eggplants flowers ...
ohhh I hope I will not lose everything this week ...
Okra is ready to be planted ... maybe on the 20th ... Still harvesting lot of greens and green onions.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013

Post #9477831

I haven't set my seedlings out either. What's the point if I have to keep bringing them in?

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9477851

AC is on full-blast in our house today, and it looks like nasty weather ahead for those of us in the Gulf. I'm heading to Cali for work for a few days, so I hope everything's still here when I get back!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9477877

80+ outside today, but cold nighttime temps are on tap for the end of the week. Hopefully after that I can put out the seedlings in the garden. Meanwhile they've been enjoying the balmy weather and mild nights for another couple of days.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9478095

(*&^%$# It's supposed to be in the mid-30s tomorrow night! It's been hot and humid here the past couple of days and my AC has been running more to get the humidity out of the air so hubby's asthma stays in check rather than to cool things off. My poor tomatoes! I'm going to toss a pillow case over them, then put a bucket on top to help keep them from getting windblown and frozen. Also supposed to have a wicked spring storm complete with very high winds and hail. UGH!! Thank goodness inventory was this past weekend and I've not had time to get anything else planted.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9478146

onions that flower- older folks trick to drive the growth back into the bulbs. Stomp em. The green tops, stomp em flat, one smack- tho if you have kids they can walk down the plants a bit lighter. They will rebound, trust me, but the growth will go down and not up into the flower.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9478601

I have too many plants out there to cover with anything but remay. So I'll just have to use that and hope for the best. I don't think my onions will be bothered, not my lettuce. But the determinate tomatoes will just have to buck up! I haven't planted out many indies yet, as the local weather folks have been predicting this front was imminent for days now. I don't think they really even look out the window, they just parrot whatever the Weather Channel is predicting. And they are not what they used to be. So I've been holding about 20 tomato plants in reserve just in case. But I've already got Turkey Chomp out there and that was DH's favorite last year. It has really been taking the wind well so far so we shall see. If it doesn't make it, DH will just have to wait until fall to see if Turkey Chomp is as good this year as last. It was 81 degree and humid last night when I got home from work. I just put my buck in with our yearling doelings. He was running around with his tongue hanging out--poor fellow. At least he will appreciate this drop in temps.

Here is Billy and his buddy, Gingersnap, checking out the girls last week. Please ignore his toes, he got them trimmed before his big move to live with said girls...

Thumbnail by terri_emory

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9478966

Terri, if TWC is going downhill, consider the Weather Underground. Sometim es I find the am ount of data intimidating, but they seem to be a class act.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Everett, Washington

P.S. - have you seen the degree-day calculator in TWC?

http://www.weather.com/outdoors/agriculture/growing-degree-days/98204:4

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9479037

Yep. My cabbages and beets are doing the "Happy Dance," right about now!

Just came from lunch. The temp has dropped about 10 degrees, and it's misting rain. Supposed to be in the mid-40s tonight...

I was securing the tomato plants to the stakes this morning, due to expected high winds. I spied at least three tangerine-sized tomatoes hiding underneath the leaves. Mule Team.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2013 2:14 PM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9479163

Set an Arkansas Traveler and 2 serranos. Colde isn't bad, rains gentle. Goin back to work tomoro...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9479241

I've only got 3 small tomato plants out, and I'm so glad. I watch accuweather and it seems pretty good. I don't plant out until I see the next week has no lows in the 40s in the forecast. I know it will be at least 5* cooler here. I did sow beet seeds which seems crazy considering it's April.

Peppers and Eggplant won't go out until the night time temps are 55 and above.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9479337

Eggplants -Calliope, and one Ping tong went in ground 3 days ago. Along with a white salvia, a deep blue salvia and relocation of red salvia starts. Getting a Tuscan Blue rosemary established...wanted Goriza, but my daughter swore they all smelled the same...waited on sunflower seeds for a bit more heat, and kept chasing fire ant mounds down with the water hose. the fern leaf dill carpet was thinned, but I caught blooms already on 4" strands that just jumped overnite. Carrots experiment are looking good, and I spent all 3 days side dressing fertilizer to the onions n chives (because of the water I am soaking them with against ants). thermometer swears its 50*, but that one is on the truck, I put my jacket on and am on the way to check a different thermometer. Nothing is covered, but I am surrounded by woods and dont get the wind and cold of the rest of the area

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9479371

Planted spring vegetables (beets, radishes, lettuce, and sugar snap peas) a couple of weeks ago...very late, but given the recent temperatures I may get a harvest. Planted 50 tomato plants this week and planted two 30-ft rows of bush pickle cucumbers. Onions and garlic have been in the ground since January. I still have yellow squash, zucchini, slicing cucumbers, bush beans, sweet corn, and okra to plant. I am planting 5 different types sweet corn, from 65 to 85 days maturity. I can't decide if I'm going to plant any peppers or not. I can't grow bells, since I have a virus in my soil. There are other sweet non-bells (Gypsy, etc.) that do better... just haven't decided. It will depend on what the garden centers / nurseries have since I haven't started any seeds for peppers.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9479385

Kittriana, my Tuscan Blue rosemaries are really attractive shrubs, but not nearly as fragrant or tasty as my Arp Hardy, which is very intense. I'd be interested to learn if yours gets more intense in your hotter climate; rosemaries do like it hot and dry.

I planted a rosemary right where it spills out into the walkway just so people brush up against it when they come to the front door.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9479502

I can't believe how well my potatoes are doing. I put some in a large container and some in a large cloth bag everyday I'm putting in more soil, radishes are germinating. The cukes,I sowed a week ago, are just sprouting but the squash is a no show. I'm not sure if its the seed or the soil temp. The soil temp is below what it should be but so is the air temp. Lol

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9479522

Squash is apt to be slower than cukes, more heat needed, this cold front is freezing me, but isn't nearly as nasty as it could be here, another cooler wave will follow this one in 2 to 3 days, we'll see if its all bluster too
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9479536

It's supposed to be 39 tonight if the thermometer reads ice again I won't be happy. LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9479541

Kitt,
I see you found the Avatar color button! (I don't miss much...), LOL!!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9479548

Hopefully it will only get down to 45 here tonight... The okra's been outside for close to 2 weeks now, so I don't think we'll have a big problem...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9479730

kevcarr59
how tall is your okra? and how cold did it get there?
My okra is 2' tall ... waiting to go in the ground ...

Thumbnail by drthor

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9479932

WOW... That okra looks great!!! We only got down to about 42 last night, but the winds been up around 20-25 mph. Most of my okra is only about 8 or 10 inches tall, but they're in the fabric pots, so there in their home. I think with the last couple cold fronts has really slowed down the okra that I had put out.

One of the things I noticed is the size of your plants in what look to be 3" pots. Aren't they root-bound, being that big? From what we always hear, okra hates to have their roots messed with, and you don't want to transplant okra much larger than 3" or 4" tall. Do you normally have your okra that big before they go out into the garden?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9480115

They are 4" pots. They are not root bound yet.
Yes I did transplant my okra even bigger size then these. I never had a problem transplanting okra.
The only problem I had was last year with my second planting of okra (I think end of June) ... it was a waist of space and time ... they didn't produce as much. The okra I transplanted in April last year started to produce like a missile right away and kept producing until the frost.
I am transplanting these out next fruit date: I think April 20th ... I am leaving town and they need to be in the ground.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9480322

Mine are about 6" tall, now, in the blue solo cups under a light. I'll have to build a temporary hothouse around their bed, and hope to get them out there by May 1st, otherwise I'll just have to keep raising the light or something. In the vermiculite/perlite mixture, I do want to have a good rootball, so when I transplant, it won't disturb the roots too much.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9480625

It supposed to be 40 in Austin tonight. Another cold front is forcast for next week too. Same days same temps. Okra loves heat so I'm sure this crazy weather is slowing it down but this is so unusual.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9480667

I got the sweet corn in the ground today despite the rain showers yesterday and the early morning rain today. Planted 5 30-ft rows of each, Sugar Baby, Chubby Checkers, Ambrosia, Peaches-and-Cream, and Sugar Dots. I'll thin the corn to about 12 inches, so I should have about 150 plants of each variety. Even one ear per stalk will be a lot of corn! Luckily, the Earthway Seeder did a fabulous job. Hopefully the moist soil will lead to early germination. The field corn has been up around here for several weeks.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9480705

color button? you mean theres more to play with? hehehehe.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9481118

My sweet corn is peeking through the soil this morning. Guess the cool overnight temps didn't bother it much. This variety is X-Tra Tender and I just can't remember where I got it right now. It was either the local farmer's co-op or Hooten's Hardware. It had a tag on it saying it had good cool weather vigour. I don't know why I decided to try that here in Texas, but I guess it turned out OK this year. I have other varieties to try once the weather settles in.

The tomatoes I left out unprotected the last few days were too big to put under the milk bottles I have. Looks like all but two will be fine. They are not growing much but they look nice and green and perky. I'm leaving for vacation in two weeks, so I'll have to plant out the rest of the tomatoes this weekend. They'll need the time to get established before I leave and DS takes over. All he should have to do is water in the veg garden. Water the roses once a week. Take care the the chickens, dogs, and goats. Mow. LOL, he's grumbling already!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2013

Post #9482703

Harvesting spinach, lettuce, mustard greens and radishes today. Also a sunburn. Turnips are not quite ready yet.

The carrots, beets, broccoli and peas aren't going to make it -- not enough "spring" this year.

My new strawberry beds and asparagus beds look great.

Unless it rains, I'll be transplanting 'maters tomorrow and planting seeds: zukes and cukes. I don't think the soil is warm enough yet for the winter squash and corn and melons, but it will be soon!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9482724

I keep harvesting as fast as I can all the beautiful lettuce.
Harvested another full basket of Swiss Chard.
Artichokes ... yeeeeeeessss ... my first ones after two years of waiting !
Fennel is huge !!

Tomatoes are making a lot of fruits (and suckers). Peppers and eggplants are growing.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9482919

Arg! Just saw the forecast -- 39 next Friday night?! Okay, maybe my peas will grow up, but I really don't want to keep my maters in pots for another week plus.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9482923

Maybe the weather will change by then. They are also saying 40F for Dallas on Thursday night.
I am transplanting everything I have left on the 20th (my next FRUIT date).

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2013
9:04 PM

Post #9483160

Can't trust the temps now, though the suns rays are goin to be lost if you don't plant out and simply protect while outside... I keep seeing forecasts for one temp change drastically in one day, then not even match the new forecast. drthor makes me want to try a 'choke, tho I thought they were cabbage family for some reason...

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9484264

Just saw our 7 day forecast for Austin, and it's up to 90 for the next couple days. Wednesday front comes through, possibly some rain, then in the mid-60's, with lows in the low 40's. Getting a little tired of the moving the plants around every couple days, I guess it's going to be the survival of the fittest. Finally saw my first bloom on the Cherokee Purple that's looking pretty good. Okra's going to be stunted this year, I think. Started it too early, and it was too cold when I set it out to harden off. Will look at the root structure, just to see how it's developed. I didn't get any okra last season at all, so I am a little upset at 2 years in a row.

Last summer was a LOT different, it started off warm and stayed warm, and was much more consistent. Very little rain, and these crazy temperature swings are killing any solid growth pattern.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 14, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9484268

kev, it's still early, so why don't you just start some more okra? Watch the race, and may the best okra win.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9484273

Here are some photos of what I have going right now.
1 one of the second planting of broccoli (gave Gym Girl their siblings)
2 one of my first planting of broccoli, still churning out side shoots. Ive eaten so much broccoli, I probably smell like it.
3 photo of my "old" tomato plants from last fall, still churning out tomatoes. Jaune Flamme' Two plants, maybe 20 fruits
4 one of my new tomato plants with new fruit forming. The variety is 4th of July
5 same 4th of July. I have 3 plants of this.

My homestead is slower and is behind with no fruit yet. Im also growing Ted's pink currant and it is behind also.
My asparagus is looking good. I have not planted okra yet.

Thumbnail by steadycam3   Thumbnail by steadycam3   Thumbnail by steadycam3   Thumbnail by steadycam3   Thumbnail by steadycam3

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2013
11:01 PM

Post #9484300

This year is going to be tough, plans for the big garden are going on hold since my wife & I are going to Florida for an undetermined amount of time. My Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer a year ago March, and her health is deteriorating rather quickly, so we're going over there next month to help my younger brother take care of her. She wants to stay at home & hospice enter the picture when the time comes. They did that with my Dad when he passed, and she wants to do the same thing. I may have some time to do a little garden for us, but May in Florida is not the time to start much of anything, so will just have to see what happens.

It's not going to be a permenant move, we'll return to Texas after everything is settled in Florida. One of our son's is staying in our house while we're gone, so at least the house here isn't empty. All the plans have been made and now it's just waiting for the planned moving date...

drthor... I guess when you transplant okra that tall, it shouldn't take long at all to start producing. Will have to contact some of the Florida gardeners & see if they get a fall crop, and when they start it...

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
12:46 AM

Post #9484312

Kev, I dont really know you but I wish you and your family all the best as you deal with this sadness. Those who have been thru this know how stressful it is and we hope you and your wife will take care of yourselves as you become caregivers. We DG'ers will keep the Texas home fires burning until y'all get back. Take care and Godspeed.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9484833

I will keep your family in my prayers, Kev.
sparklinBarb
Burnt Chimney, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9485883

As will I, Kev. My mother-in-law is under hospice care now, too. You and yours are definitely deep in my prayers!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9485887

Thank you for all your prayers... The offer was made last year when we were over there, but now my brothers & I made the decision it was time for us to get over there. Not having the car note & our son moving into our house here in Buda, makes the finances a lot easier to handle.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9486017

Finally tomatoes are loaded with fruits

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9486021

I am starting cucumbers again. This year it has been a "cucumber debacle" ...
This is the third planting of cucumbers. I do have maybe 10 plants in the ground ... but I lost quite a few to the weather.
oh well ...
I will turn green from eating all of this lettuce, but I love it !
I harvest a huge Fennel bulb and some onions for my DH.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 16, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9486043

Wonderful, drthor! Thank you for sharing the photos!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9486056

Nice, drthor!

What variety are those tomatoes in your pic?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9486719

Last night, I trimmed some drooping leaves off my tomatoes that survived the cold snap (all survived!), trimmed off a few onion buds, and saw that the garlic had started to send up shoots, so we'll be harvesting garlic soon!

My onions are getting nice and fat and should be bulbing soon. The neighbor's cat has been using my onion rows as his sleeping spot. :/

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx         

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9487019

Hey, Steph!

Looking very, very nice! I believe the garlic shoots are edible and are considered a delicacy, so check that out before you toss them!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9487148

Yes, you can roast them in olive oil, but we tried that last year and didn't like them all that much. I might let one bulb go to seed just so I can see the size difference in the size of the bulbs produced.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9487289

Over on the Recipes forum, Darius mentioned they make great "pickles"
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9487767

Today's garden job was to build & fill 2 raised beds 4x12. These are where my corn is going to go, probably next week. I still have 1 4x8 bed left to build. That one is going to run alongside the fence in the front yard. It will contain sweet potatoes. I kind of figured no one would steal sweet potatoes since their all underground & it would be too much work to dig them up!!
Jo-Ann

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9487983

In keeping with our esteemed administrators wishes, this thread is getting a little long, so I've started CHAPTER 5...

And away we go...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307979/

I guess we can keep this going all summer long...

Kevin

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America