Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your neck of the woods/chat with friends

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 154, Views: 593
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9449981

Thought I'd move us over..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296575/#new

This message was edited Mar 15, 2013 7:37 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9450088

Thanks for the 'move on over' Betty, I was thinking it was about time ^_^
Nice pic ...

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9450130

I too believe "M" that many employers have been burned and prefer seasoned staff. Listened to a radio station the other day..many who called in said that when looking at these pretty young ladies, babies/pregnancy & year off comes to mind and then another maternity leave as many want more than one child..so hang in there Susan.

I'm with "M" about your mom, maybe a call a day for a bit to make yourself and she less overwhelmed with the move..who knows, she may deep inside been thinking of it on her own.

Don't you have to eat when taking those meds??? let's hope taking them over the 8 hours is just what you need to do not to be hit with down days.

slept well last night, drats, got up and started sneezing and running bit of a fever, this cold just doesn't want to leave..maybe the Florida sunshine next Friday will help.

Pick up the quilting frame tomorrow IF weather co-operates and IF I'm up to the long drive which means it has to have a place to be set up..yikes 100" long by 40" wide isn't that easy to find in the crafts room..going to lose a table for sure. Sooo that's my project for the day, clean, re-organize and purge

Best I have some breakfast to give me the energy.

Quilt ready to be put in a tote until I wrap it as a gift for someone

photo 1 - area where the frame will sit

photo 2 - morning glory quilt

photo 3 - close up of the quilt

photo 4 - Perriwinkle Quilt I'm working on as a wedding gifts for niece Cindy

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9450144

Frame I'm trying to make room for..lots of cleaning and reorganizing I'm afraid..
anything I haven't used in craft room for a bit in now sits between back entrance staircase..thought I could burn in the pit but it's snowing and can't find the pit..plowman just came..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9450187

~M~ & Betty - when I first came to Calgary, it was a "youth" market, then it swung to being appreciative of "experience' and now I see companies getting concerned about the "older" market as it costs $$ for their health care...
Yes, there is a company out there that wants the experience, but as my daughter said "maybe they will think you have more background that you do, considering your age". She said it in a very loving manner, but she may be right. We don't always see ourselves as we look to others...

btw - when I moved to Calgary, I was let go from a company because a 30-something "couldn't work with a woman over 50", so after 2 week's the manager told me so and I Could Not be bothered to fight it. Besides, it would be my word against theirs... Wed I was told I should have sued... but again, I couldn't be bothered to waste my breath and time... Many would say I was foolish, however, I'm like that...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9450276

Betty, what can I say .. WOW just seems so inadequate .. the quilts are gorgeous !!
As for the frame .. whoopdeedoodle, now THAT is ginormous!
Good luck rearranging and purging .. I purge, and, Gordon recovers it, I have given up !

Susan .. all you can do is hope for the best .. sometime when you least expect it, I am sure something will come up.
My friend Kathy there in Calgary does house cleaning. She was an Admin Assist and could not find employment either, so, started her own business at the young age of 55, that was 5 years ago .. she is finding the work to be a bit more difficult because of her knees .. so .. she noticed that people were always looking for someone to come INTO their homes to look after their pets while they were away .. so .. Kathy is now a very good pet sitter, and does well with it. She still house cleans though. Helps that she was once a vet tech.
She gets referred by word of mouth .. right now she is house/pet sitting a MONKEY named 'CHADWICK' LoL .. his 'parents' have gone to Hawaii for 2 weeks ..

I have LOADS of fresh fruit in the house .. so am taking that with the pills ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9450288

Marilyn - I did apply to house cleaning companies, and got no response. Some people said I should put flyers in people's mailboxes, but my friends won't use my services, so why should complete strangers do so? Except for one person I know (who's had a cleaning lady every week for years), I don't know anyone who uses a cleaning service so no one to switch over to a friend doing it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9450382

Thanks "M" and have cleaned the craft room somewhat, no sense doing more re-arranging when I don't know if the area I cleaned will be able to house the frame.

it's bath time, then dress and head out to stained glass studio, need supplies to make Paul his lamp IF I can find same glass/bevels and stand.

Some of the christmas placemats I've made for this Christmas

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9450390

Susan
I know there is a place for you out there. Maybe cleaning houses isn't it. Here comes spring and when I got laid off after 32 yes with the Bay I pannicked and because I like gardening I offered to weed someones yard. A person saw me and asked how much I charged. Well off I went to just do the lite deadheading , weeding and potting up planters. I leave all the heavy stuff like big pruning and lawn care to others. Maybe you could parlay something you enjoy into some income?
I have found for the most part the younger crowd don't have the work ethic of out generation. It's all about them and not about the job. They are constantly on their phones/ faceb... and not paying attention to what they are being paid for .
M and B I hope you are feeling better soon it's been long enough!!

Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9450393

Wow Betty - you may not be able to fit the frame in the room, but you're very blessed indeed, to have such a room!
and those placemats!! They're gorgeous!! The recipients will be be very pleased, I'm sure!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9450396

I agree about the work ethic, Ann

I used to work for my daughter's boss (a lawyer) in Winnipeg, and I would often get people stopping by, asking what I charged. His place took 3 x 100 ft garden hoses to go around, for watering, so it was a little overwhelming for the amount of work, weeding, pruning, etc (I didn't do trees). I loved it however, and I learned a lot from him, too. I don't know if he was a Master Gardener, but he sure could have been. He was very intense about his gardens, and people were always stopping to admire his yard & garden.
However, I never got anyone asking me to do their yards/gardens, from all those that asked about it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 16, 2013
2:51 AM

Post #9450994

Rise and Shine,

Baked you treats this morning.. enjoy!

Off to Bowmanville to pick up quilting frame, well it's in 3 boxes but still a frame lol
Not snowing at the moment so should be an enjoyable ride.

Picking up a friend, Pat, who loves quilt shops so will drop into a few but hope to be home by 2:00pm

enjoy the day

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9451078

Betty, Lorna wants to know if the Flying Dutchman is still in Bowmanville .. she remembers it from the past :-)
Thanks for the Cinnamon Buns, try as I might I couldnt quite score one through the monitor LoL Look yummy !
Good luck on your adventure with Pat

Susan/Ann, Lorna used to own her own Landscaping business .. people would stop and ask her to come to their homes, but, they sure weren't willing to PAY .. they hadn't stopped to figure in the price of gas, equipment upkeep, on and on .. she finally had to give it up as she accepted a position with City of Toronto to plow and salt and maintain the BIG highways .. 400/401/427 .. she speaks of those days fondly, but scratches her head as to how she kept up the frantic pace ..I think we all have those kind of memories ..
Right now she 'takes care' of 2 other properties besides ours .. she ploughs in winter, and does the lawn care in the summer ..

Ann, I smiled re your comment about the younger people who work and think that going on FBook etc during COMPANY time is perfectly NORMAL and OK .. the daughter of one of my FBook friends, got caught BIGTIME playing BubbleWitch (never have played that) .. in fact, she missed a meeting, and, was furious and shocked when she was fired !!
I don't thin she realized that ALL computer activity is monitored by the IT dept .

Not sure what today will bring, weather is OK, sunny but a bit cold .. things are winding up for Murray and Gordon to head east to Hamilton. They leave Monday and surgery for Murray is Wednesday .. wish I could go, but, I would be useless because of this dang hip :-(

Off to do laundry

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9451152

Betty - I'm envious of the craft room. Hope you get that rack in there. Gorgeous quilts. I've never had the patience to do that kind of quilting. And the placemats are lovely.

Susan - likely not your cup of tea, but I've heard that some of the fast food places like McDonalds (which are rebranding themselves as McCafes) are very interested in hiring older people to work with them. They also appreciate the work ethic that older people have.

Well the bread is put together. DH finished kneading it - I get it started in two smaller balls but my wrist isn't up to doing the entire ball for 4 loaves of bread anymore. I think we are going to take a trip across town to Lee Valley. Maybe I can get DH to stop at IKEA too. I don't think he's ever been to the new store here even though it's been open nearly a year.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 16, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9451295

Ann - training IS my cup of tea, but don't think the rest is.
Bob heard that Sunco (building he's working at) is hiring! They're building a new building just kitty-corner from where he works (for another company, doing renovations at Suncor). I'm going to spruce up my resume (as per counsellor - 1 page, not 3) and send it to them. Who knows?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9452526

Dropping to by to wish everyone a HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 17, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9452541

Hello there..
happy St Patrick's day to all

Lordy day sure is passing quickly,mkept telling myself to leave the quilting frame in the box but did I listen? Nope

Wooden frame almost all put together than the technical part, moving gears and all just might have to wait for Greg ..

"M" how did taking the meds work taking them hours apart?

ViAnn if I keep finding new hobbies there soon won't be a place to work.. Best a channel myself on crafts that take no more than a few feet to work on..

Made stew yesterday, had it for supper last night, lunch today and soon for supper..why do I cook such large portions. Lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9452666

Betty - stew freezes well to enjoy some of it later.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 17, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9452865

I always find the potatoes have a taste to them when frozen. Will have to do so though..both cabbage and turnip are favorites but having it 4 times in a row is a bit much. Could always ake potatoes out of it couldn't I?

Tired tonight
Night niht

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 17, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9452870

we had corned beef sandwiches on rye, for our dinner. Close as we could get... don't have corned beef OR cabbage here. Was too late after our trip shopping with our friend, Doug, to do any real cooking...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 18, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9453130

Temperate weather here already today .. and .. NO SNOW, we were advised of a 10cm dump overnite. Happy as Gordon and Murray fly out to Toronto today, then on to Hamilton.
i'm kind of a wreck .. but am keeping positive thoughts that all will go well.
Murray has his surgery Wednesday (first day of spring)
Would appreciate thoughts and prayers.

We had roast chicken for supper last night .. good Irishwoman that I am, but, I had made soda bread earlier in the day enough to share with my brother and Murray.
Actually, salmon is an Irish dish as is roast beef ..

Guess I should get a shake and shimmy on LoL

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9453279

You have my thoughts and prayers for Murray, for sure.
yum, sounds like a "luverly" dinner, Marilynne!

I'm going to get some groceries to bake some bread maker bread. I got $40 in gift cards for a mall, and they have a Safeway there to beat-the-band! Must be one of the largest in the city, so would have things others wouldn't... like specialty bread machine flour...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9453418

Betty - do you knit? If so, have you ever used the circular needles that have interchangeable tips? I bought some yesterday as I needed slightly longer 4 mm than I had and as I was knitting along, the tip unscrewed itself, dropping a whole pile of stitches. The air was a bit blue. Now I notice there is a tightening pin that I've used now. Any idea whether it really works? (The instructions on these needles were not in any language I recognized though they were in 2 language. I would have been able to get the gist of English, French or German.) The concept is certainly good, but not if they regularly come apart with 145 stitches on them.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9453430

I knit on circular needles, but have never heard of the interchangeable tips...
OH, I can imagine the colour of the air being blue, Ann... 145 stitches... yikes!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9453431

Update on my Mom - Stan told her yesterday morning about the Intermediate Care Home, and I must say... he waited until the last minute (to get HIS head around it, but didn't give Mom much time), cuz my 3 sisters were going to their place at 11am yesterday so they could all have a talk about it. He was to have told her on Saturday...
Anyway, they're all (Mom, brother Stan, and 3 sisters) going to the Thorvaldson House today at 2pm... The administrator has had to deal with /speak to family members and potential residents before, so this should be easy for them. Hopefully it will come about for Mom to move there.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9453466

ViAnn, I do knit, on the lazy side, have 3 knitting machines, 1 completely computerized, key in what I want and it knits.. 2 of the machines are under the bed, the old workhorse is set up in my craft room.
Actually for the first time in ions I brought knitting in and am using circular needles..have heard of the changeable tips but never used them ..sounds as though if they work would be the thing to have so you don't need a zillions different sets..know you can change the plastic/metal wire which holds stitches to different sizes as well.

"M" great day for travelling, snow is suppose to arrive later today, not sure if it will amount to anything though..let's hope everything goes well for Gordon.

Susan, let's hope the interview goes well this afternoon and that our mom loves the facility.

was speaking with Greg this morning, they were all out snowmobiling yesterday up to my cousin Doug's in Cognashene, he just said that another group one of the men hit a rock and was killed..they are waiting to hear his name and see if they know him..small area, everyone knows everyone.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9453484

omygosh, Betty - how terrible for the snowmobilers... I hope they didn't see the accident - that would be traumatizing to say the least...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 18, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9453551

Murray and Gordon have arrived in Toronto, headed to Union Station to get the bus to Hamilton.

Oh my Betty, what a tragedy re the snowmobiler .. he must have been travelling at a high rate of speed ..

Susan, there wil likely be a whole team there for the meeting. Hope it goes well for your Mom.

Wind has picked up significantly here .. and, I do believe we are going to get some snow .. guess March wants to go out like a Lion !!

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9453710

No, Marilyn - it will just be the Administrator, as it's been all the other times. She's met everyone but my Mom.
They get 3 square meals a day, and can get their morning coffee in their jammies! After coffee though, they have to return to their rooms to get dressed for the rest of the day - think that may be about 10am?! Not sure if they have their breakfast in jammies... Not sure my Mom would like anyone seeing her in jammies, but she may not get dressed all day at home now...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9454409

Murphy moved in while Gordon is away !!! Murphy's Law around our home states, "When Gordon goes away, the snow falls in heaps" !
Had the dogs out at 3am and there was about 8cm then, just now waiting for more light before I head out to try and shovel. Luckily the snow is light and fluffy ..
Looks as though Lorna might just be busy clearing a few places of their snow ..

Susan .. LOVE my JAMMIES .. I have BED jammies, and, believe it or else, DRESS JAMMIES, ones that can be worn around the house instead of jeans and a T Shirt etc.
Summer time brings on sundresses, always a no brainer, cool and colourful and easy to care for cotton ^_^
Anyway, hope the meeting went well, and, that your Mom feels better about the move ..

Suns coming up .. off to have a peek outside.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9454520

Morning all..thank goodness we did not get the amount of snow that was predicted, storm blew in, talk about wind...thought we'd have a few feet of snow the way it was coming down but guess it was more the wind blowing it around. Roads were nice and clean this morning, had hoped for a snow day but NOT..imagine, tomorrow is 1st day of spring.

Didn't think Greg would come over last night with weather being so nasty but he did, ended up working 3 hrs. on quilting frame..it's ow ready to go! Just too bad that I will be leaving for Florida 3a.m. Friday morning and have no time to play..drats..will have to wait..on the other hand, need batting/backing and see this weekend in Florida Joann's Fabrics even though their fabric is so much cheaper has 25% off entire order so best I make my list and check it twice lol

I have 2 sets of fancy jammies, more like lounging outfits and live in them on the weekends..just sooo comfy.

Thank goodness for Lorna, less worry..when is Gordon's surgery, today?

Susan, will your mom have a telephone n her room so you can chat with her..I'm sure she'll enjoy the companionship of other ladies and be sorry she didn't do it before.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9454575

YAY for Greg ! The quilting frame looks amazing .. and, you'll have LOTS of time to play once you get back from Florida with all your finds.

It's Murray (our son) having the surgery, and it's tomorrow. Has had all his pre op stuff done already this morning.

I shoveled for half an hour and have decided to wait til Lorna gets done with her plowing, she can start the smaller of the snowblowers, much easier to use than a shovel.

Off to have a coffee ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9454615

Thought it was your hubby "M"...sorry!
Praying all goes well..when will they be travelling home?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9454679

Not a problem Betty , may as well be Gordon, or I having it done the way we worry LoL
They're booked to come home on Tuesday March 26th.
They flew into and out of Bill Bishop airport on the Island. The ferry (barge) ride from the Island to the mainland took less than 5 minutes .. then they had to taxi it to Union Station then on to Hamilton.
They WERE going to rent a vehicle, but, Murray was quite confident of his driving there, Gordon wasn't sure he wanted to do it. So. cabs it is.

Just back in from another 20 minutes of shoveling .. I am now headed for the shower I have been promising myself for 4 hours !!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9454706

"M" you sure are a glutten for punishment, you KNOW you shouldn't be shovelling for any length of time, know it's a must but another day or so and it warms up it shall melt anyway.

Seems quite an adventure just to get to Hamilton. Often thought about flying out from Billy Bishop but getting downtown and to the airport is quite an endeavor

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9454743

I didn't realize the Island airport had been renamed.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9454824

Maybe I've got name of it wrong ViAnn..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9454846

Marilyn - take it easy on the shovelling... thought Lorna always did it with her little "machine"?!
I'll be praying for Murray's successful surgery.
Betty - that table fits in there perfectly with Room for you to walk around too!! Wonderful of Greg to finish it for you! How many hours were spent putting it together? Certainly not the 2-3 hours the book said...

I don't know if my Mom will have a phone - I believe so. I think Alice said she'd have to pay for her own TV and phone...
As there are 65 rooms in Thorvalson, I imagine there will be a mix of men & women there.
My mom's more of a book reader, and crib player, than a Tv watcher, but at least she'd get to watch her own favourite shows in the evening. During the day, when she's home, she's been able to, but not when Stan's home... not that he intentionally takes over the TV, but he IS a man, y'know lol
I'm wondering if my sisters will get more clothing for Mom as she'll be in a place where they will wash her clothes properly? Alice is talking about making name tags for Mom's clothing as they wash all the residents's clothes for them - linens and personal. Stan's NO great shakes at washing, nor house cleaning, so it will be a treat for Mom to live in clean quarters! He leaves the house filthy... and Mom can't clean anymore - too frail.

I'm making some Boston-Style Brown Bread in my breadmachine... only 1 hr 10min! Yesterday I made 2 loaves of Apple Pie Bread - 1st one didn't rise, maybe because of the flour I used. 2nd one is great - 4x higher lol and tasty!

Got a phone call from the Agency in Toronto - she'll be sending me an email, as some things in my resume "tweaked her interest". She would like to arrange a time for us to talk.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9454875

Here's the link re Billy Bishop Airport https://www.torontoport.com/airport.aspx

Gordon is a WWII buff and knew ALL about Billy Bishop ..
FOlks from TBay like flying into that airport as it's right down town, but, the plane that lands there, 'Porter', is a smaller plane, so, instead of a 90 minutes flight from here to there via WestJet or ACanada, it'sa two hour flight BUT, free meals and bevvies ..
Once Gord and Murray get home I'll hear more about it ..

I hear all of you re the shoveling , my bad, but (always that darn BUT) Lorna is good with the machine, but, it's the patio and sidewalk out to the garage .. she does try mind you her balance isn't too stable, but, I just went at it SLOWLY .. Lilly and Piper are more a hindrance than a help out there THAT'S for sure LoL .. Piper like to stand behind me and poke my legs with his nose, and Lilly stands directly in front of me so that when I go to shovel I have to tell her to MOVE hahahaha .. it's quite comical, but, annoying as well.

Susan ..Thorvalson sounds lovely ..I hope it all turns out well for your dear Mom.

Thanks to all re Murray and his surgery tomorrow .. I'm a wreck !!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9455010

I'm sure it will.
Thorvaldson House sounds lovely. btw - one of the reasons my brother was "bucking" it was that one of his friends said his mother went into a care home and died 4 months later...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9455612

The JOYS of being a MOTHER .. not

Murray is in pre op waiting to go into surgery for 9am. The OR is booked for 2.5 hours
He's quite UP .. chatted with him for a good long time from 6am to 7am almost .. spoke with Alison (DIL) as well, but, between the 2 of us I don't know who cried more LoL.
So, good old Gordon will be the one to call her after Murray is out of surgery and he has spoken to the surgeon.
Thoughts and prayers appreciated.

We have DRIFTS !! The wind came up yesterday afternoon, with a vengance .. I'll go out and LOOK at it, but, I don't know if I'll shovel, I'm paying for what I did yesterday :-(

Trying to keep busy, planning to make an apple crisp and a sausage pudding ..

Best get on with it

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9455637

Prayers for Gordon and I think both of you and his wife need 'hugs'
Let us know as soon as you get news please.

We didn't get lots of snow, few drifts, guess we are lucky..did the countdown this morning to 'spring' winter is now behind us..not sure anybody told Mother Nature, will have to quickly send her an e-mail!

Counting sleeps before I leave for Florida, 2 more to go..looking forward to it, perhaps by the time I'm back most of the snow will be gone, if not then shortly after.

NO shovelling "M"

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 20, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9455686

Marilyn - praying for Murray, and SO glad he's "up" about the surgery, etc.
Glad to hear you're realizing you "paid" for the shovelling yesterday. It sounds as you know you won't be shovelling today.

Betty - I feel your excitement over going to FL! I just know that you'll be coming back to No Snow in Ontario. Have a safe trip :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9455792

As always, thanks for T&Ps .. Gord just called, all is done and Murray is fine. The surgeon was pleased to work on him as Murray does not smoke or drink, he told Gord that that's rare these days.

He'll be in recovery room for a couple of hours, then onto his room ... should be in for another 2 days .. guess it all hinges on whether he tolerates food.

HUGE sigh of relief ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 20, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9455795

Oh yes... Huge sigh of relief here too. What good news! Sure is nice to know that clean living helps for his surgery!! :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9455813

Wonderful news "M"
Before you know it he'll be home so you can see for yourself!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9456348

Betty - as you saw by the link, you had the name right. I was just still calling it the Toronto Island Airport. Makes sense to give it a name and Billy Bishop is a good one. Better him than a politician.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2013
4:15 AM

Post #9456638

Good morning! Made Peanut Butter Tea Bread in my bread maker - and there's fresh coffee brewed!

Going to take Bob to work (early) and later will be going to Bible Study.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9456668

PNut butter tea bread sounds awesome Susan !! Can we have the recipe ?

Must be 2013, who PHONES anymore LoL .. have been texting Murray for a bit this morning, he's feeling much better, has been up a few times .. the surgeon is by far one of the MOST attentive I have heard of. He spent a half hour with Gordon telling him how the surgery went, and just chatting in general. He has seen Murray THREE times since the surgery .. mind boggling, in TBay they become invisible and usually send their colleagues in (intern or resident)

Off to lunch with my best friend today .. Jo-Anne's hubby is having a hip replacement this coming Monday. Chose to have it done in Dryden a small community about 300 miles west of here, because he could get in 3 months earlier .. the surgeon is from Thunder Bay (he would be the one I would chose were I to have a hip replacement) but, he goes to Dryden in order to get MORE OR time to do these procedures. All political (what isn't)!

You must be getting so excited Betty! Are you flying down and driving back ? I hear you on the intricasies of Billy Bishop Airport .. I think the most importnat thing is to TRAVEL LIGHT .. because you have to manage your luggage.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 21, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9456717

Morning..

Susan, thanks, tasting good with my Timmie's coffee!

snowing here this morning (has been every day this week) just enough for us to say 'enough it's spring'

Great news about Murray, guess he'll be on schedule then and heading home tomorrow or Saturday?

Travelling light I thought I was doing..new sewing machine I bought at Christmas needs repair, imagine, had a Janome 9000 that i bought 20 years ago, no problems..bought Husqvarna Saphire 835 at Christmas, used it 3 times, ooops not working and the warrantee doesn't apply here in Canada..by the time I bought a case for it to fit in AND pay for baggage likely I could have fixed it here.

Not excited at all, not sure why, still have that feeling of waiting for a shoe to drop..yikes, not fond of that feeling at all. Yes, will be driving home, Darlene doesn't do major highway driving for any duration of time so I took her down and now I pick her up.

She will be wanting to come home the quickest route and I'd love to take a bit of time and go a different route..wonder if she'd notice I did it..lol

Enjoy your visit with Jo-Anne, prayers for her hubby..maybe he will have an attentive doctor as did Murray. Had a friend who lived in Dryden, Bryan Jacques, he loved it but then his father/mother fell ill and he moved back into my region.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9456804

Actually, it's not Peanut Butter - I have some Almond Butter (no nuts, so added almonds), and it's good! Nothing like a fresh loaf of homemade bread to have with morning coffee!! I'll post the recipe later. Need to get ready for Bible Study, and have some other stuff to do...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 22, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9457769

Morning all,

Sipping coffee, looking at the snow, light dusting last night,waiting for airport limo and wondering why I just didn't drive myself to airport..could have slept in till 5:oo at least.

Darlene says temps aren't bad..looking forward to sitting on the beach tonight..already plans to drop sewing machine off at Joann's in ft Myers, do the flea market and go out for supper..I say I'm taking Darlene out for her birthday which was Tuesday and she says she is taking me out for my 65th.,guess it works out to be 'going Dutch' right. Lol

"M" hope Murray is well enough to be making trip home

Susan, you are turning into Susie homemaker, what is for breakfast this morning?

Waving to all others..bet there is some planting of seeds going on??

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 22, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9457812

Omg what a morning so far, no snow at home but Barrie had quite the blizzard, roads were terrible!

Airport limo didn't pick me up until 4am, 1 hr late..went to call to see where they were, no dial tone, just a hmmm..wifi and satellite were ok..oh well, will deal with it when I get home.

Then I stand in a line up only to be asked the address I'm going to..dah, with Darlene picking me up who would hunk I needed address..no address no travelling..stupid of me..so off I went to find a phone, woke Darlene up..back in the lineup.

Start in a lineup at customs..agent cheques my passport, asked me how come I come across the border so often..told him I wanted to become an honorary USA citizen..solemn face he had..lol

Got in a lineup for baggage, got it on the conveyer, attendant saw 'fragile' off it came had to walk to another area, put it through a screener, attendant wanted to know what was in it..another story to be told...FINALLY I'm sitting at entry where I catch my plane..I'm tired out

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303624/#ixzz2OGYqs5Wd

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 22, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9457838

My gosh Betty, what a way for 'the other shoe to fall' felling you were having !!
I find the security people plain rude ..
Imagine wanting to know an ADDRESS .. beats me for sure, have they never heard of a SPONTANEOUS trip south, not that yours was spontaneous, but others might be.

Murray is struggling, he wants to stay in hospital one more day as he is not feeling 'up to par', they aren't liking his request .. tough .. he's from out of town, suck it up ..
We'll see wht happens ..

Nice temps and SUN here ^_^

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 22, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9457985

Hi all
"M" sending you and Murray Huggs.
"B" wishing you a smoother sail.
"T" what are you having this morning ?? you have been making me hungry.

Waving from under a BIG pile of snow from Edmonton. I bet we had 12 inches of the stuff!
Big accident on HWY from Calgary to Edmonton yesterday news reports vary with 60-100 cars involved and up to 300 people hurt, most minor. It was between Leduc and the wetaskiwin turn off. DH cleaned sidewalks for over 2 hours last night, whew.

Yes some seeds are in. A big selection from ViAnn's hostas that are poking there little heads up and the Eucalyptus that takes so darn long to get going. I will wait a bit for the tomatoes and others. Newly purchased Cannas are poking up with good success ,(my over wintering this year bombed with them). Over wintered Geraniums are going well and I will take some cuttings soon. My Ribbon Bush that I kept as a house plant is doing well so I can get cuttings from her too. Yes spring is coming! YEAH.

Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 22, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9458163

Betty - you've had quite the time leaving Canada! an hour late for the taxi? Unforgivable at that time of the morning... he likely slept in!
and what a run-around you had... address, "fragile", "honourary citizen" yikers!!

Not baking today - having some of what I baked yesterday, and day before. I had Apple Pie bread with Cheez Whiz (heated bread in the toaster first - not toasted) yummmm

Now I'm working on Bob's computer. When techs "linked into" his system to find out why it wasn't allowing their Security software to install, his printer "went south". I've uninstalled/reinstalled it... forget how many times... and it keeps giving me an error. I even deleted all reference to the printer in the Registry (yes, I backed up the system first), but still no luck. Going to link into an HP techie to see if they can fix it. We've only had the printer 10 months, so still under warranty.
Here goes another 3 hours, eh? lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 23, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9458817

Morning all, can't say from sunny Florida as I don't know what today's weather will bring, just know it has to be better than home!!

Purpledixie56 previous thread the following ;

Hi from south Ontario. You're pansy is looking a little sad. I would too living in this snow. Will we have spring? I also read your other blog on groundhog day. Did you hear in the States, someone is trying to sue their groundhog because he messed up so badly this year? Zone 6a

Welcome PurpleDixie56' wanted to respond to your post using your first name but could not find you listed in main listing..look forward to more posts.

Lol, guess people sue over anything! Weather will warm up shortly, guess we just have to be patient..so nice travelling the area here and seeing all the colorful and in bloom shrubs/plants..

"M" hope they kept Murray another day..the doctors should realize that if a patient asks to stay one more day then surely it's needed.

Alberta Ann, that must have been one heck of an accident..so many injured and the loss of lives, was it due to white-outs?

must check out what a ribbon bush is..now how did I know you would be ahead of the game with planting..do you also winter sow?

Susan, the extent of my computer slavey is how to turn it ..yikes, sounds like you need someone technical to help out!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 23, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9458872

Welcome to PurpleDixie ^_^

Glad you made it to Florida Betty .. ENJOY !!

It has been a stressful 24 hours .. Murray did get discharged, but, it was because he started to 'pass gas', once that happened, he felt 75% better.
BUT .. he and his Dad decided to try to change their flight home from Tuesday to Sunday. We KNEW it would be $75./tcket to change but that was OK .. BUT .. Porter also wanted another $500.00 !!! Well .. I was furious ..
So .. I'm just making this short, they'll be coming home on Monday :-(
Believe me, I was on the phone, with whoever I could catch on a Friday afternoon at 5pm at Porter .. bottom line, too bad so sad ..
Today I had an email that did nothing but make me seethe .. and I want to remind everyone, PLEASE READ THE FINE FINE FINE print on your tickets .. live, and, learn!

Bright sunny day here in Thunder Bay .. supposed to get up to about +3C
Snow is melting, and MUDDY PAWS seem to be the order of the day ..

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 23, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9459199

Frustrating for sure "M"

Been dealing with husqvarna sewing machine issues..need warrantee and told warrante pe only good in USA where it was purchased...hellllooo, warrantee card had USA and a Canadian registration address so know how you are feeling trying to fight the powers that be.

Guess you don't want to hear its in the high 80's, humid, light breeze.

Enjoying strawberries and corn

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 23, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9459241

Hi Purpledixie!! Welcome - I'm Susan

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9459341

Hi Purpledixie56. I'm Ann.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 23, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9459354

ViAnn, too funny, Joyce (Joycet) from Ohio is coming to visit mid May with a few girls..she asked me if I thought your hosta's would be out and could we take a drive..her gardens are to die for and a collector of hosta's as well

not sure that she knows just how far I am from you. Lol

Just got back from the beach..gotta love the ocean at this time of year!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 23, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9459474

Lucky you, Betty - going to the beach!
It's minus 3c here... and sunny tho!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9459786

LOL, Betty. If you feel like taking a "drive" this far, you'd be very welcome. Or better yet, send her and the girls on east to the Nation's Capital!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9459812

Only coming for 4 or 5 days..I'm teaching them a craft, not sure which and Joyce is doing a class in hypertufa mushrooms..lime will be limited..I'm going to be working from home that week so that I can spend some time with them but hoping one day to be able to sightsee in Toronto

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9459980

Betty, your visitors will have a wonderful time with you as their hostess ^_^
Would be nice if the group could visit Toronto .. lots of plays on in the spring/summer months.
The beach sounds perfect, but, you can have the humidity LoL, can almost feel my hair curling up as I typed that word!

All is a go for the arrival home tomorrow of the 'Stephenson Men' via Porter (last time anyone in our family will travel with that airline)
They arrive at 10am .. unfortunatley as I have a doctor's appt, and Alison (DINL) is working, her parents will pick up the boys and take them to Murray's home. After my appt with the rheumatologist I will go and retrieve Gordon and bring him home ^_^
Good old Murphy strikes again re my appt being in conflict with the arrival time, the whole rest of the week is BLANK for appts !!
Going to make a pineapple AngelFood cake, so, I best get at it ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9460027

Am looking forward "M" to Joyce's visit..think her friend travelling with her are garden group friends and not on Dg..sure with Taynors could have tagged along.

Will urge me on to get yard,gardens raked and cleaned..

Joyce was at the house when I had dg reunion last year..I've been to her place several times sooo will be like old home time gathering.

You will feel so much better having Murray and Gordon back..aren't we like old mother hens. Lol. Is he feeling a tad better?

Just came in from sitting in the sun..thankfully the breeze helps..not overly humid

Will wait until 2 or 3 and head to the beach..Darlene is a pool person and I love the beach..don't mind going alone.

She has been packing up belongings that will remain here in the place that she bought. Little by little we should be ready to head north Thursday providing no blizzard warning anywhere..not a long enough vacation but best I can do when I want summer and Christmas holidays

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9460472

Hi all

This is the book we've been studying in Bible Study. Our pastor sent us a link to an interview with Elaine Pagels.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/february-24-2012/elaine-pagels-on-the-book-of-revelation/10372/

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9461423

Short note .. my 'boys' are home and happy to be home ..

Had my doc's appt and am on referral list for an orthopedic surgeon to have a hip replacement (r hip) not happy, but, the psoriatic arthritis has eaten up all the cartiage in my right hip, nuttin I can do about it .. except worry :-(
Could be close to a year .. don't exactly know how I'll make it that long ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9461514

oh my... Marilyn - happy your boys are home, but not happy about the worry you have re: long wait time for hip replacement!! Prayers for you, dear sistah!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9461600

Afternoon/evening,
Just got back from the beach, I'm cooking corn, Darlene is bbq'ing..easy living!

"M" glad the boys are home, you can breathe a sigh of relief.,both must be exhausted.

Think you suspected the operation would be a must.sad that once they diagnose the problem it can't be done immediately, it's the waiting that is more than stressful. Perhaps if it gets to an emergency situation they will get you in sooner..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9461750

SOunds like you're having a great time Betty .. enjoy that sun and the sand ^_^

Gord and Murray were very pleased to be home, Murray's dogs apparently went cuckoo, and ours went ballistic when Gord walked in the door.

To say the least i am not too happy with the diagnosis and the procedure to 'fix it'. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in October, and, since then it has destroyed my right hip, which is why I take 'that drug' every Friday so as to prevent any further damage occuring to other joints.

And, so it goes

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9462320

"M" pleased to hear your Boys are home I bet that is a relief for you. Re the hip, I agree with Betty that waiting is stressful!
"B" please enjoy that sun for me too.

Some seeds are up and now have some cuttings going that were purchased from a G House in Edmonton. Will have to be carefull with the amount of stuff started as the inside room is not as good as the backyard G house. Still have 4 feet of Snow around that so just a tad cold to put stuff in it yet.
New Canna's are all growing and begonias are off to a good start.
See you later.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 26, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9462435

You are well on your way then, am sure the seedlings take up a good portion of a room. So you start them in the house, then into greenhouse then in the gardens, will be world travellers by the time they are mature. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9463594

We're trying to figure out WHEN to plant our tomato seeds. If we start them too soon, they tend to get gangly and don't do well .. am kinda thinking mid May as by mid June (planting time) they'd be OK .. have to read the packages of seeds.

Have been kinda 'down in the dumps' .. being 'house bound' is simply NOT me .. I plan to go out tomorrow .. just have to take it easy and GO SLOW .. now my biggest fear is falling .. !!
Ahh well, it'll all work out.

Supposed to hit +7C here today !! Will definitley be out on the patio shuffling around and enjoying the sun :-)

Ann .. love hearing about how your seeds are doing, you have had so much snow in and around Edmonton !!

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 27, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9463677

Hope you can get out soon, Marilyn! Have you thought of winter sowing your tomatoes?

It's supposed to get to +9 today! Guess your snow has melted, eh?

Ann - aren't you getting rid of Your snow yet?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9463727

"M" I find that the tomatoes are such good growers that I like to keep them cooler once they germinate and I have the lights set just 2 inches from the top set of leaves. I have a fan blowing the air around them but not on them for stem strength. If you are doing the window method I think they can get leggy unless you can put them in a basement window where they will be cooler. If they do get leggy plant them on their sides in a trough instead of down. You can overlap two past each other and gently bent the top growth to come out of the soil. The tomatoes are a plant that will grow roots around their main stalk if the soil is warm. When you dig deep lots of time the soil is too cold yet and your plant can be set back.

Our snow is taking it's time to go away and we still have a ton of it everywhere. The G house is warm and all the snow is gone from the roof but it's piled on the sides to about 4 feet. I have taken to sitting in it when I get home from work just to destress for 15 minutes or so.

Bye for now
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 27, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9463788

What a wonderful way to de-stress, Ann!!
I've seen the bending of the bottom of the stalk into the ground before, Ann - good idea! Then, as you say, you get more roots and a stronger plant!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9464185

I'm going to have to RE Google 'winter sowing'. As it stands now, I think I might be a bit late.
I'm kind of thinking I'll be doing hanging baskets and pots as opposed to 'bending down' gardening this year .. Lorna will plant Cannas for sure, we let the ones last year stay in the ground too long, so, they died :-(
I usually plant Morning Glory from seed (LOVE them) and, sometimes, Sweet peas, they make such pretty and fragrant boquets.

So nice out today .. +9C .. had the windows open for just a bit ^_^
Snow is melting rapidly AND the city's POT HOLES are popping up .. jeeeze, some are SO DEEP !!!!!!!!

Off to play Scrabble

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 27, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9464198

I have some "hanging" tomato bags that I think I'll use this year - now that Bob's put that 17ft overhang beside our outside wall, I can do this!
oh, and I have one of those bags for potatoes, too!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 27, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9464358

Quick wave, off to bed..was an early morning and a long day..put in 700 miles..another long day tomorrow and by Friday barring any complication we should be home early aft.

Night night

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2013
4:32 AM

Post #9464668

Safe travels Betty, hope you take some time to enjoy the scenery ^_^

Another 'snow melting day' on tap here today .. Lorna has an appt for bloodwork, I'm going to try to ge with her .. getting pretty bored with staying home.

Have a great day everyone

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9465127

Mayilynne - I plan to start my tomatoes near the middle of April. Too late and they won't ripen. But then my areas of full sun are getting shadier and shadier.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9465687

CRIKIES .. we are expecting a high temp of +10 (or more) today !! I am going to make SURE I get out and enjoy it .. have been house bound WAY too long now ..

My BFF picked her hubby up in Dryden (300 miles west of us) yesterday ..he had his hip replaced on MONDAY and is using a WALKER for the next while, then a cane. He feels wonderful now that the pre op pain is gone. Sure makes me feel better, altho, I know I won't travel away to have the surgery.

Hope Betty's last bit of travelling today is trouble free and that the border is NOT too busy. It'll be nice for her to come back to nicer temps and perhaps less snow .. altho, I hear there might be rain down east.

Smokey has 'spring fever' to the max. Kept us up last night with his 'meowling' .. he has been out a few times today already, but it's still a bit cool for him. The dogs are wary of the ice on the puddles .. both of them have been 'tricked' and gone through and gotten wet paws.

Because today is a holiday I got a 'jump start' on laundry .. nice as the kids are coming over tomorrow ..

Hope everyone has a great day!!

^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9465789

Quick 'hi'

Up at 4:30am, just got home, so beautiful I decided to put in 1 1/2 hrs outside working..

Just came in, kitties want hugs then off to tidy up and as you say "m" enjoy some of this sunshine!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 29, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9466081

temp is 14c - 57F...

Had a good Good Friday service at our church.
We all wrote things that pained us (initials of someone who we wanted to reconcile with, etc) on a red slip of paper, and then the pastor, another member and I put these on an 8' tall cross made of pine that we have in our Sanctuary. We covered it with red slips of paper, so the Cross looked covered in red...
We'll have a Sunrise service on a hilltop, Sunday at 7am. Sun rises at 7:13.
It's supposed to have a trace of rain & snow that day, with a low of -1c.
If it's inclement weather, we'll go back to the Church.

Finished my DG sistah's lap quilt!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9466118

What a great way to celebrate our Lord Susan, what a great tradition.

As for your quilt it's spectacular, is each quilt block done by machine or by hand?
My swap blocks a few years ago that I put together into a quilt were Christmas block designs..love yours..

I've not stopped until now since I've been home, won't be a late night.

"M" I left the door slightly open so the kitties could come in and out.they too were meow'ing away..so nice out I almost joined them in song.

That is indeed good news about bff..now I'd they could only get you done so that you are one step closer to being healthy.

ViAnn, do you have a large veggie garden as well?

Alberta Ann, are you getting this sunshine as well? Able to get to greenhouse yet?

Do you think we can grow dogwood trees here?? As I travelled north, was in awe of the dogwood trees..

This message was edited Mar 29, 2013 4:54 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 29, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9466276

The service was something new that our Pastor came up with this year. We normally join with 2 other churches and each year go to each other's churches for this service. This year each of them wanted to be at their own church because not many of the congregation came to other Churches - only the pastors and choirs. Better to have them go to their own Church than stay home...

I pieced them by machine, but all quilted by hand.
Now it's time to work on the Round Robin quilts, and for me - to do the Lone Star Quilt!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9466288

Lovely quilt Susan.

And sounds like a good idea for the Good Friday service.

Our Good Friday service is an ecumenical one with our church, the Mennonite church and two smaller United Churches as well. The actual service rotates between our church and the Mennonites with it being there this morning. There is a large combined choir and quite a few people gathered at our church and walked the 1.2 km between them with a large wooden cross, stopping for prayers at designated spots. I like the music when at the Mennonite church because they tend to sing in harmony and they direct the congregation during the singing. It's like being part of a 200 + voice choir.

So, we got our exercise this morning as we had to walk back to our church to get the car. I see the route we took back was slightly longer - more like 1.4 km.

Made some pie crust this afternoon - will do a lemon meringue pie tomorrow.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 29, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9466325

oh my... VAnn - what a wonderful way to do your Good Friday service! I love it!!
When one of the Churches was part of the choir (3 in total), they had 3 descants in theirs. somehow when our Choir Director sent the music for them to practice ahead, it went to the Junk Folder and they didn't know what it was until 1/2 before service when we did one final practice as a whole choir. They decided to do the descant part (wasn't originally part of the "plan") and I was in front of them when they pealed forth... wow - what a surprise! Beautiful though. Ladies in their choir all wore hats! Quite lovely.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9466698

+10C yesterday, snow and freezing rain today.

Family expected in just a bit .. just fruit and vegetable trays .. I'm cooking a turkey tomorrow and they will be going to DIL parents home.
Just as well as I am not up to cooking for a BIG crowd right now.

Parish priest popped by a bit ago, had just heard about my 'plight' .. luckily I had made soda bread, so, I told him that that was why he had appeared .. he's direct from Belfast and, as handsome as they come LoL (not that I was looking)
He and my Mom got along so well .. she just loved him to bits.

Best get a shuffle on

HAPPY EASTER

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9466762

Sunshine here "M" but on the cold side. Brrrr

Got all I had to do done in town and was home by 10..did want my hair cut but would have had to wait an hur or so..hmmm chocolate bunnies in the car, sun shinning in, no think it was home I came or all would have melted..for what chocolate Easter treats cost I wasn't about to do that.

Want to go on back bedroom deck and clear it off, wash Matt and maybe take out another patio set. Lol. Getting antsy.

Have on breaks started to set up the quilter..why can I not just sit..

"m" enjoy your company and maybe send your priest my way..I've nothing home cooked right now but do have hot cross buns..

I so enjoyed reading ViAnn and Susan of your celebration festivities..we have mass but not really any hands on participation such as you do.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9466769

Father Donnelly is a wonderful person, would have made an amazing DAD/Husband .. the kids love him.
One of the aspects of the Church I SO do not agree with.

The Cathedral would have been draped in purple yesterday, and filled to capacity. Our little chuch out this way was 'a buzz' as Fr Donnelly put it.

Kids are late arriving, what else is new LoL

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9466789

"M" I would say that is one of the reasons I'm not totally involved in the church as well..think they should be married as well. Living experiences of day to day would be valuable when being approached for guidance.

Always tell kids, if you are going to arrive just before dinner then rush off again please don't bother..

Cel phones, iPads and hand held games off..see grandma as a family for such little time that I want it to be all about us as a family..hard to get them to do so..guess if I keep trying eventually they will catch on and yes that does mean me too. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9466800

I agree with you, Marilyn - priests should be allowed to marry...

I just got back from our church and had to "re-decorate" the Sanctuary. For Good Friday we take down all banners, candles, move the prayer table out of sight, etc.
Today I put the candles on the front table, put away the 8 ft pine Cross, put up banners and prayer table, etc, etc.
Oh yeah - watered the plants, too...
Everything's ready for our regular service.
At 7am we'll be up on the hill, for our Sunrise Easter Service. Looking forward to it. We have another pastor playing the guitar for our hymns.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9466802

we cross-posted, Betty lol
I agree - no technology at dinner!
Nami used to text her boyfriend (we didn't know at the time that she was involved...), and I used to get so annoyed!!!
Frankly, it's RUDE! No eye contact, or joining in the conversation, etc. We only had her for dinner during Holiday dinners, with other guests, so it's just NOT right.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9467233

Not being Catholic, I'm not really entitled to comment, I guess, but I don't really see why priests shouldn't be married and not allowing them to do so is part of the major problem with having enough priests. Anyway, so far, I like the way the new Pope is doing things even if he is still very conservative. Maybe there is hope for change sometime in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath just yet.

Susan - we have a huge wooden cross that was draped with a dark purple cloth all during Lent. Since the Good Friday service was not held at our church this year, they hauled out the high ladder and replaced it with a white cloth during choir practice on Thursday evening. And white antipendiums on the pulpit and lectern. And the head of the decorating committee posted on FB that she'd been at the church decorating; so I expect we'll see Easter decs. No lilies though because of the fragrance which bothers a lot of people.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9467260

We only bring our cross out on Good Friday, and the antipendium are black with white Crown of Thorns.
I guess, in a way, I'm the head of the decorating committee, and the cleaning committee. It's about time I call for volunteers for our Spring cleaning... one day, on a Saturday.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2013
4:04 AM

Post #9467342

Happy Easter everyone!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9467387

Same to you Betty, and EVERYONE ^_^

If a Bunny had been hopping about the property, we'd know as there is snow falling at a nice gentle pace. The Township plough just went by down on the 'main road', so, I'd say we've had 5cm+

Fortifying myself with coffee .. must get started readying turkey dressing and amking an apple pie. Gord got a beautiful bag of Macs yesterday.

Hand held technology drives me to distraction .. everyone was holding their iPhones or BlackBerrys yesterday, and so busy with whatever .. I finally got up, went into the living room, picked up a set of head phones we have, put them on, and came back and sat down. Brooklyn was the first to 'catch on, she put her iPad away .. the others followed suit .. then it seems we all just stared at one another until I said, 'lets play Monopoly' (a game I DETEST) .. so .. for 90 minutes we talked to one another, and, were focused !!!

Have a wonderful day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9467436

Sorry to hear you have snow "M"
It's dull here but better than no snow.

Productive morning so far, had a roaring fire in the pit..washed the back deck patterned linoleum I had painted to match bedroom colors, think it fared better than rolling it and setting it inside..now ready for the cafe set..I know, I know, I am rushing things but if you do send me your snow "M" it won't stay for long and I will be one step ahead of the game..

Not sure I will be having turkey today at Jeff/Julie's but hoping we do, just incase save me some dressing please.

Ohhh feel the same about technology, not in good taste when visiting..a few hours wouldn't hurt..I ask of them to set them aside, sometimes I get the oh mom, and sometimes they do while shaking their heads.

Drats I too should have made a few pies but they said bring nothing but I did make a pizza spread for nachos..just have to bake for 20 minutes when I get there.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 31, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9467859

got a small pre-cooked ham, and will have scalloped potatoes for Bob & I.

He's sooooo sick with a head cold, poor guy... I got him loads of meds for it, but he won't take 'em until bedtime... duh!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9467979

Had a meal fit for a king..julie outdid herself..long trip so bedtime it is.

Braedon and Kristen were not up to celebrating Easter..Braedon went to school with the young boy who died in the fire the other night. The mom had had a stroke a few years Bach, father and son were out of the house nd both wnt back in to get the mom/wife and perished..the brother who is in college is now on his own.

Braedon had been with a group of friends this afternoon trying to process it all.

Those grandkids sure are growing..won't be long all will be over 6"

Tired, I'd best rest seeing tomorrow is a work day

Susan, sorry to hear Bob is unwell..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 31, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9467994

Nice to have such a meal, Betty!
How sad for Braedon...
Bob's staying home tomorrow too.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9468300

OKAY!!! IS it a 'holiday day' or not?
I am puzzled, seems Easter Monday has become like Boxing Day ..

Horrible thing for Braedon to have to go through. I am thinking the school might have support people available? When I wored with the Victims Crisis Intervention group with our local police and OPP we did that a couple of times. It's very effective to get all those who were in anyway 'close' to the situation to come together and talk about it. What a devastating tragedy.

Sorry to hear about Bob's cold .. hope it's short lived ..

COLD here .. all because of the wind ..

Not sure what I'm up to today ..

Have a great week

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 1, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9468385

I imagine they will have some kind of help for the students, am hoping so.

Storm going on here, whiteouts but I'm sure it won't stay.

Stay in, stay warm..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 1, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9468580

No, Easter Monday is NOT a holiday. Some companies give it, but it's never been a Stat that I've ever heard of...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9468773

Seems it's 'hit or miss' with places that are opened. Banks aren't, schools, Fed and Prov offices .. sheesh !!!

You got our storm from ysterday Betty .. white outs and all .. cold today so, what fell stayed.

Made date squares, the dates were YELLING at me to use them up LoL

Hot turkey sandwiches for supper, kind of nice not to have to think up something ^_^

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 1, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9468844

Ahhh want to come and eat at your house..nothing in the refrigerator for me tonight..need some grocery shopping to be done. Went across the road for lunch, lordy, wind was strong enough to carry me across..white outs one minute then clear the next.

It's my DS Sharon's birthday today..not only celebrating her special day but she also finished her quilt last night..is thrilled it's finally off the frame.

Because of the holiday think I got maybe 4 calls, been a long/long day, will be glad to get home, hot bath and head to bed.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze      

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 1, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9468994

Beautiful quilt, Betty - send my congrats to Sharon on the great work!! Oh, and Happy Birthday to her as well!!!!

Betty - hope the snow goes away soon...get some rest and get warm, please

btw - I "Got" Bob with the Stitch Eraser, too LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9469312

Stores have always been open in Ottawa on Easter Monday. Of course schools and government offices are closed, but banks ARE and always have been open too. Easter Monday is one of those quazi holidays.

Lovely quilt above.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9469470

OH MY GOSH Betty .. Sharon's quilt is just gorgeous. LOVE the colours and the pattern.
I have been looking for a set of sheets like that .. hard to find, still havent in fact.

Susan .. you 'got' me as well with the reverse stitcher .. I watched it all but maybe 20 seconds ..

2 appts today .. wish me luck, haven't been out of the house (except the patio) for a week !!!

Take care

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9470457

Well .. NO APPTS yesterday .. had to re book both of them as I ended up taking Gord to emerg. He had a kidney stone! So, we spent from 3-8pm there. We were seen to quickly and efficiently but the dept was chock FULL .. by 7pm it was felt he had passed the stone, he was feeling no flank pain anymore, so, he had some IV medication, and, home we came. AND .. going west at 8pm the sun was BLAZING !!

Today I am going to endeavour to go into the city to get a couple of books .. gosh, I seem to be reading a book in a week or 5 days, I could go the library route, but, then I would HAVE to have it read within 2 weeks, and, guaranteed, I'd put it down and not finish it LoL

Bright sunny day (but cold) here today ..

Take care everyone , still amazed re that quilt Sharon made !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 3, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9470509

Morning,

Am I glad I still have snow tires on..if snow keeps up the pace it's falling might not find my home tonight!

Ohhh he's so lucky "M" to have passed the stone so quickly. Imagine that his being attended to so quickly made you feel a lot better. How is he doing today?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get books from library? perhaps that is where you are getting them.

Getting sewing machine out here at work (did I say work) lol and will sew to pass the day. Got to tell you the sewing machine purchase for 2nd hand machine comes in handy..sews well

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 3, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9470592

~M~ - it sounds as though you need an e-reader... get Greg (Betty's son) to fill a memory stick and you'll have books until you're 80, no matter How Fast you read 'em!!

Today I'm adding yet another border on my queen bed quilt. The Lone Star, that is.
I have the batting and backing too, so should be able to get it sandwiched this weekend.

At 10 am I'm going to a Church service at a care home, then I'm back to do some sewing.
I did some studying last night, for tomorrow's Bible Study, THEN I Finished another of Paul Fleischman's books which I'll be sending to Thunder as the "next in line". Couldn't believe how quickly I read Seedfolks!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9471551

Was kinda AWOL from the computer yesterday .. I did get into the city, went to Penningtons and got a couple of tops, I had a gift card .. lots of beautiful spring colours .. then down the road to the 'Sally Ann', picked up 2 more books, then Lorna returned her wheelchair cushion she has been 'trying out' for 10 days .. had to return it as it was causing some pressure on the back of her stump which we all think may have added to her phantom pain. She's back to her old one now until Invacare can RE do (for the 3rd time) the cushion.
After that was all said and done I had to go home, I was in bed by 2pm and I rolled out at 8am this morning ... I find my stamina for being up is very poor, mainly because of the pain associated with my hip .. i have a n envelope from our local hosp that arrived yesterday, and apparently they have my orthopedic referral and i need to see a physio therapist to assessed .. DUH!! I think the bone scan and the MRI and xrays say it all ..
Anyway .. life goes on albeit slowly.
Gord is fine, no ill effects, he seems to have gotten through the kidney stone episode.

Susan .. I guess I'm old fashioned .. PLUS, I am a wondrous MISPLACER of 'things' .. LoL I'll just stick to good old books, the Sally Ann can use the $$.

Hope everyone has a brilliant day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 4, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9471572

Morning, although cold this morning we are expecting at high of 10, then lower temps for the weekend.
Had promised my mom I'd take her to Buffalo so this weekend is the weekend..drats I'll be one exhausted lady when I get home Sunday night..she used the old make you feel bad card 'know I'm a lot of trouble and nobody wants to be bothered taking me anywhere', 'just want to go one more time', 'you always are travelling with friends' lol, said to self, "Betty, just take the woman!"

Usually I work from home on Friday's but think I'll have to come in as Suzanne has a signing in Toronto.
That's about all that is exciting in my neck of the woods..kind of boring right?

Perhaps "M" when the sun starts shinning and you are able to sit outside, you might feel a whole lot better, been a long winter for you. How come they are making the cusion wrong so many times??? I'd be furious if I were Lorna.

Glad Gord is feeling ok..

Susan, are you going to try to confirm the rumour that your park won't be sold? I so hope so..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2013

Post #9471573

Marilyn - glad to hear you're not buying new books... Only time I do that is when someone gives me a gift cert for a book store.
I wasn't a user of e-books until Christmas 2011... visited my family and my sister and DD were enamoured of them, Plus, Betty's darling son offered to fill mine! I find 'em great when standing in line for 3/4 of an hour (Bottle Depot)
Before that, I wasn't reading anything, and I was always a voracious reader as a young woman.
Every so often I would renew my library card, but wasn't using that much either... cost too much to renew.
With the e-reader, I'm reading more!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9471575

I said to the neighbour that told me that I was going to email our alderman, and she said "don't - the person who heard the rumour may not get any more info if they figure there's a leak to be stopped"... so, I guess I'll 'stay in the dark'...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 4, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9471576

Well it gives you something to hope for Susan!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9471580

yes, it does
Wish our cooperative would let us know things...haven't heard from them since over a year ago... before the secretary moved to another province...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 4, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9471700

You would think they would keep you all updated so you know if you have to keep looking..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9471993

I'm a member of the Co-op, but since the secretary moved, nothing's being heard.
I called our alderman's assistant (feft a voice mail) and she forwarded the question on to the person who gave us our "meetings" back in 2010 when they first started talking about the park moving.
Alderman's assistant left a voice mail saying "If you don't get the answer you want, let me know".
hmmmm interesting comment!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9472440

Susan, am I correct in surmizing that 'someone' wants to move the whole trailer park ?
Lordie, that's something owners would like to kept in the LOOP for.
Good luck with finding out.

Nothing earth shattering happening here. Betty, you'll feel better having taken your Mom to Buffalo .. just such a rush it seems, and, NO restful weeekend for you.

Best get ready to head into the city, takes me awhile now !

TGIF

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 5, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9472681

Marilyn - the City owns the park, and the residents own the trailers. The City said, in 2010, they were going ahead with moving the park in summer 2012. Now, in 2013, the rumour is that they won't be moving it after all. No one knows what the heck is going on... we're left in limbo.
The property they wanted to move us to is 1/2 way across the city (we're near Center St, midpoint of the city), and they wanted to move us near the outskirts of the city. No one is particularly pleased with the move... except maybe developers. The City wants to get out of Mobile Park ownership, and once we'd been in the new location (new owners) for a year, they will be completely "out" of it, and the rents would be up to the new owners.
On the "plus" side, the water system (infrastructure) is being repaired, some cosmetic changes are happening, and wrecked, abandoned trailers are being dismantled and removed.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9473432

Seems to me I heard, or read, about TBay trying to get out of the Mobile Home Park business. I think there are 3 of them within the TBay City limits, am thinking one of Gord's friends live in one.
Good luck with this, best to keep abreast of what's happening so you aren't caught 'off guard'.

Well .. I did make it into the city yesterday, and, I not once got out of the car !! Talk about the 'tables being turned'! Lorna ran into the stores we had to go to.. I have to say this new Leg of hers is starting to become a 'WINNER', YAY!! She went in for groceries, then into Shoppers for some items, then another big retail store .. I was amazed, and, she felt so good. I guess the adage, 'what goes around, comes around' is kind of playing out here.

LOW key today, pill night was last night and I feel a bit nauseous today .. nothing I can't live with .. comes and goes ..
Woke up to a gentle snowfall and CROWS just cawing for all they were worth .. one sign of spring are the 'murders' of Crows flying about, 20 to 50 of them at a time, Flirting and nesting, no doubt.

Hope Betty has a good time in Buffalo ^_^

Enjoy your day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 6, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9473923

re: Trailer Park - I spoke to the organizer the City hired, yesterday. She said that the plan to sell is still on, but that it's going to take years. Won't be 2013 or 2014, and could be much longer.
They haven't been sending out info since last summer (which had to do with water shut-offs, and nothing to do with the sale).
They have to have a super mall built nearby (will be 5 min drive), and make sure all the infrastructure is built, etc. There is a road nearby, and of course they have to have bus access/routes... right now they don't.
IF it's in 2015 (and I truly doubt that), they still have to give us at least 1 year's notice, she was talking about giving us 2 year's notice...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9474074

Drats, posted a long post, must have lost in with hotel Internet service

Gab in a bit

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 6, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9474159

Doncha just love WiFi?! Regular hotel internet isn't that great either...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9475976

Woke up to about 8cm of heavy snow, thank heaven for garages!! Gord and I were on the road at 8am, I had to go to the Hospital to be assessed prior to seeing the orthopedic surgeon. Seems rather redundant to me, but, I guess they weed out anyone who doesn't meet the criteria, and, I fit it to the 'T' (unfortunately)'
So, now I wait for an appt with the orthopedic surgeon (2-3 weeks) .. he'll consult with me, then it'll be a 2-3 month WAIT for surgery .. I sure hope I last that long because it is so painful !! I am tiring so easily as well .. never would have thought I would end up like this !!!

Hope you made it home fine and dandy Betty :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9476026

(((((Marilyn)))) redundant it may seem, but it's nice (unfortunately) to know that you can get this surgery done.
You've got Lorna to help, so take it easy on yourself... You're right about "what comes around goes around" and Lorna is obviously a good amount of help. Really glad to hear her prosthetic leg is working out so well :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9476131

Well let's hope "M" you get on a cancellation list and get in before 2 or 3 months.
Now for me, did get home about 4:30pm..lordy winds were high..shoulders are all knotted trying to keep vehicle on the road.

No jacket today..soooo nice

Hope this sunshine moves to your neck of the woods

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9476222

Also hoping that you are able to get a cancellation app't sooner, Marilynne.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9476246

Look what I discovered today!! This is a very young Christmas cactus, and I've never been able to make one I have bloom! Just ones I've cared for, and are very mature. This plant is a cutting I got less than a year ago! I'm thrilled! I hope you can see it clearly.
This must be my year to grow things I don't usually get to bloom. An african violet I have is in it's 2nd blooming, and I don't usually get them to bloom once!!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9476304

I think both thrive with benign neglect, Susan. I put my Christmas cactus plants out in the porch for the summer where they rarely get watered. When I bring them in, usually late September or early October, they are usually covered in buds. I have them in a south window in my living room and they generally bloom again profusely around March. They DO get watered regularly when inside. The African violets get some water about once a week if they are lucky. And I have them split up between an east window and under lights in my computer room. They bloom more or less constantly.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9476309

Oh, and for the violets, water only during daylight hours and only from the bottom with lukewarm water. But otherwise, they do well with neglect.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9476326

ViolaAnn - I'd heard that only watering from the bottom was incorrect... and mine are watered both ways. I heard this from a person who worked in a nursery. The thing about the warm water is right - my wter is left for days after it's from the tap so the chlorophyll is evaporated out and it's room temperature. That's the big thing - violets don't like cold water, and especially not on their leaves. If they get cold water on their leaves, they turn brown. After all, outside they get rained on, but it's a warm Spring/Summer rain - not cold at all.
My violet is in the windowsill facing east, and my cactus is in the south window, about elbow height. As it bloomed on the "window" side, I'm sure it's because of the light. I understand they don't like to be moved, either...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9476382

Perhaps the surgeon will put me on a cancellation list. I just find it so surprising that there are SO MANY replacements happening. As Gord says, the BABY BOOMERS are rusting out !!
I'm most assuredly very happy to have both Lorna and Gordon here to see to it that I wend my way successfully along the road to health. I want to be able to WALK the dogs again and get out with my grandkids !!
PATIENCE ^_^

My African Violets are in an east facing window. They tend to bloom all the time .. and, I water them either way .. however, the Christmas Cactus and me is another thing all together, nope, nadda, never .. so .. I look at everyone elses LoL

Good to hear you made it home Betty, did your Mom enjoy her time away ?

Fish is cooking, time to give it a boo ..

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9476496

Marilyn, you WILL be able to walk the dogs again. I have faith in you.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9476804

I think the neglect is the magic answer. :-)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
9:04 PM

Post #9476868

I think you're right, ViolaAnn... and I'm really good about neglecting my flowering plants lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9477110

Morning all,

Don't think it's neglect?

I give inside plants either too much care or little care..outdoor I've a green thumb, indoors. Oops

So foggy this morning could hardly find the office

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9477358

I know that a lot of flowers do not like "wet feet", so those pretty foil covers should be Tossed!!
temp's rising... minus 7C now...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9478474

Off to an appt today, our grandson's 12th BDay as well

Almost thought ai wouldn't get on today as i had to LOGIN !! I never have to do that, good thing I rememebered my password !!

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2013

Post #9478603

Marilyn - I had to login last night, too... wonder if they've changed their site a bit...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9479088

Seems the site has changed a bit .. i see 'side bar advertising' ..
Just happy I remembered my password ..

Gorgeous day here, sunny and cool (some would say COLD) took the dogs in to be groomed then went for breakfast and some shopping, as always, I did TOO much ...the old bod was mighty cranky with me !!
But, I finally made the muffins I have been wanting to make for about 10 days .. they turned out very well .. have ground flax seed and all bran and cranberries in'em ..

Betty and ViAnn .. looks as though your areas are going to be a tad WET over the next little bit !! Take care ...

Off to make supper

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 10, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9479151

Major storm rolling in, not sure we will get the freezing rain but just incase I forwarded work lines to home.

Drats been fighting major headache since Sunday..for a gal who normally will not take meds I've sure made a dent in any/all bottles of pills in the medicin cabinet.

Already bathed, Jammie's on and cuddled into bed..bought cabbage rolls for supper but thre them n the freezer. Darlene brought me 35 ties that belonged to her dad, I will make something for her mom with them...was a way to pass the day and be quiet today. Felt as though I was skinning snakes taking all the innerds out and opening them for pressing and cutting.

Had sent my accuquilt away for repair early February, just got it back..don't think the repaired it, think its a new one. They did say their mr. Fix-it was in for eye surgery, maybe rather than make me wait they shipped a new one.

Are you seeing the birthday boy tonight "M". Won't be long we'll have no young ones. Will be a sad day!

ViAnn, have you been able to get any yard work done...so many restrictions this spring with regards to burning and disposal of twigs/leaves etc..not sure where we are suppose to put them.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9479350

Betty - that would be awesome if they've sent you a new one!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2013
2:17 AM

Post #9479606

Morning all,

Drats no 'snow/ice day', had hoped I'd get one more day.

Kyle called last night, got to say one doesn't have to buy a newspaper for news, Kyle is so up on everything lol

Tuesday morning while travelling the back concession I had to strain my eyes just to see where I was, fog so heavy..I didn't know that shortly after I pass Vasey Rd. a local was killed..involved a bus! Kyle said the students in his school had to wait by the roadside while police investigated and they removed body from vehicle...terrible

Susan, is a new accu-quilt that I received.

Coffee and meds await

Enjoy your day.

Having

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9479694

Betty .. YAY re the NEW Accu-quilt ^_^
Sometimes I think that replacement is far better than repairing, repairs can, at timews, take so long.
So, has the storm missed you completely? I haven't lookede at any weather sites as of yet.

Poor Kyle, talk about an upsetting situation .. Lorna has always mentioned to me how foggy it can get in your area, in fact she often talks about a MASSIVE pile up around Barrie many years ago that she just missed. Had she have stopped, she likely would have been hit in the mayhem.

Susan, very nice icon above your name :-)

Not sure what's up today .. I know I have insurance forms to fill out .. Gordon goes OFF the City of Thunder Bay plan as of July 6, his 65th bday .. I am still going to be out there uncovered. So, we have chosen a plan that is an 'add on' to his present one .. can't imagine having to PAY for Insurance in Canada !!! Want to go over all the specifics 'ONE more time' before we send it off.

I am FINALLY going to go and have my nails 'filled' .. have cancelled 3 times already, but today I will go, the appt is for 3pm. and Gord will come with to make sure I get up the 3 steps ..

Blue Jays are screaming for peanuts, best get at it ..

Enjoy your day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9479702

"M" only benefit being 65 is the free drugs (of sorts) lol Funny how a simple thing like having nails done can give you a high..must get mine done but with all the crafting it's a waste of money..always a broken nail or two.
I remember that pile up..driving in fog is about same as driving than freezing rain!

They cancelled school bus service as it is suppose to hit our region later this afternoon..best they take precautions as not to have all these children in school and not be able to get home.

Guess I'll get fabric I cut at the office yesterday out and do some sewing as to keep me awake..not sure why I'm so tired seeing I'm napping at 5:30 pm every night but I am..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 11, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9479998

will post later - off to Bible Study...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9480407

Kept the appt, have new shiny and shorter nails, this time round I think I'll polish them. Most likely wait and let Brooklyn do it as she loves it ..
Doubtless when gardening season comes into its full flourish, I'll be wishing I hadn't had them done cause they do tend to get in the way, even with gloves on.

Our bad weather has kind of gone ?somehwere?, blustery and cool here but no precip at all.

Hip is very bothersome , so, early to bed once I finsh my Scrabble games ^_^

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 11, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9480556

we had limb breaking snow here - snow froze (part rain) and I could hear it "whomping" off the roof...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2013
3:48 AM

Post #9480978

Moved us over to here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307030/

drats, forgot to include a photo

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America