Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Palms and Cycads: Bowenia serrulata accident

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 0, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 16, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9451047

I've had this Bowenia serrulata for a couple of years now and it's grown really well. It 's near a tallish tree stump/trunk (dead) that had stacks of clay on it from termites building their tunnels. And growing on the stump was a large Vanilla Orchid. One day a large lump of clay decided to fall from a great height and hit the Bowenia breaking off the top of the underground caudex together with all the fronds. I was a bit fearful that the plant might be lost. The top shrivelled up over a few days. But then 2 shoots appeared from the ground, coming from the caudex down below. These are now still fast growing fronds. Looks like the caudex was really healthy with plenty of energy reserves. Interesting thing though is that the 2 fronds have come up simultaneously. That suggests to me that the caudex is producing 2 new plants. I'm not game to try separating them though.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America