-
AuthorContent
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 16, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9451217

I am getting my garden plan laid out. Still snow on my gardens here in MN, and more coming Monday.

I thought I remember a post last year about squash vines, and maybe melon too- that they grow to a certain direction? But I can not remember what that direction is?

Also, I've heard you can grow cantalope with corn. How does that work... do you just plant them in your rows of corn?

Thanks!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9451495

Our gardens are laid out in rows running north to south. The plants recieve sun east to west all day- incidently also helps with our spring winds that blow in from the south, then turn north and bring rain. Like a sunflower who turns to face the sun, my guess is that trailing plants are chasing the western sun. Corn and squash and beans are called the 3 sisters planting - each plant contributing to the growing cycle of the other.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9451625

I grew squash for the first time last summer. They tended to grow down hill. This was also towards the Western sun. I'm no expert when it comes to growing squash, this was an observation.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9451662

Some squash grow as a bush and some grow as vines, that might make a difference.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9451699

I was just planning on planting my squash.I will be planting them hoping that they will grow toward the western setting sun, and down the steep slope at the end of the bed.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9451722

I have always hilled my squash, they do like mounds- melons esp, but the fields of melons are planted in flatter rows. Corn I like to plant in circles, but I also plant in the bottoms of a mounded row, since I have to come back by the time the corn is abt 18" to 24" hi and pull the dirt up onto the corn. I believe the corn was planted in circles, then a squash, etc, and the beans used the corn as a trellis. But thats just what I see as practical. I do know if you plant more than one var of squash they are prone to crossing then refuse to produce... separate the varieties by a good distance...
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9452032

I've found that squash tend to grow everywhere. Most squash grown fall into 3 species and they will freely cross within a species, but that is meaningless unless you are saving seed.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 17, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9452054

My experience with squash is if it is a vining type in the northern hemisphere it will grow more to the south as that is where the sun actually is for most of the growing season..My experience with runner beans grown with corn was that is climbed the stalks and crossed from stalk to stalk and made an inpentralbe mess Now I do not grow melons so can't say if they would climb the corn or not but do know that pumpkins are a very aggresive climber..

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9452211

my zuccs and summer yellow somehow crossed, both turned a light shade of each other, then totally quit producing all together. Hemisphere for the sun. True since they are light/heat hungry deep south with room enough and water enough...those tendrils reach out and grab like fingers in the vine veggies life. strangle fingers for any other plant!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9455134

Squash that runs grows to the south. Zucchini will lean in that direction and yellow squash will send short vines in that direction. Winter squash and melons will go on as long as they can to the south unless that exposure is blocked. Anything row grown in my garden is planted east to west. I plant blocks in both directions. My garden has a direct southern exposure and is protected on the north side by a mountain slope.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 23, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9459203

Now here is a vining squash that is a zuchinni called Trombone Zuchinni if I can find the right picture I will show it growing to the south this is a very wide angle lens I think that at the time of this picture it was about 33 feet from it's origin

Thumbnail by grits74571
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 23, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9459209

Now the only reaso to ever let it get that big is just showing off it was a lot of fun the see the reaction of visitors when they saw it
RamblingChicken
Ashland, OR

March 24, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9460790

Hmm. I assumed that I could tell my vining squash where to go, by redirecting the vines while they're young and flexible. Am I wrong?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9461084

Yes you can.
A while ago one DG member showed pictures on how the squash grew on her arbor ... so cute ...

If you will grow Zucchetta Tromboncino (http://www.gourmetseed.com/product/ZS14/Zucchetta-Tromboncino.html) = very similar to Trombone Zucchini ... you need to prepare yourself to be the "talk" of the neighbor ... you should have seen the face of my neighbor when I did offer them some ...
I regretted I gave away so much because this was one of the best taste zucchini ever.
I cut in cubes and blanched ... the best soup ever ... so sweet.

I didn't had good luck growing this variety again because of Squash Vine Borer problem ...

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9461449

Thank you all for the help. Looks like I should plan to give it space to grow south... I am planting butternut squash (JWS???PMR) from Johnny's, also Delicata and Rock Star Pumpkin as well as Sarah's Chioce Cantelope from johnnys. I expect all of those will be trailing along
I am also doing Zuchinni Spineless perfection and Bush Baby.. those I expect will be more of a plant... bush type thing.
Of course... nothings out there yet. Gardens still have 3-4 inches of snow on top of them!
Thanks!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 26, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9462266

I grew the Delicata last year and was not impressed with it but that may have been due to it being the hottest -driest year since the dust bowl years

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America