Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Scented Pelargoniums (Geraniums)

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 0, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9451428

I ordered three scented Pelargoniums last fall right before it turned too cold to order plants. They were tiny. I put them near a window and watered occasionally. They struggled all winter long, and two died. I have two "Old Garden Rose" scented Perlargoniums and one "Rose" scented geranium. In my opinion, neither of them smell like rose, at lease, not the kind of roses I have. They have a real "sharp" scent something like vinegar or lemon or mint. I don't mean they smell like the latter mentioned-it is just a pungent smell-not what I expected from a plant that was suppose to have a "rose" fragrance.

So. Here's my questions:
1. Do your scented "rose" pelarg. smell like rose??
2. Do you have a favorite scented pelargonium that smells really nice? I am thinking about getting a lemon scented one - or something else. The two Pelars. that died were Lavender and Patchouli.

I am not necessarily unhappy with my rose scented geraniums-just not what I expected. I ordered my plants from Hobbs Farm by the way and their service was outstanding. I wrote to them, after I rec'd my rose geranium, and said it didn't smell like rose and she sent me another two plants of rose geraniums - ea. one different so I could tell the difference. They would take money when I offered to pay for the two extra geraniums.

Another question.

I am ready to finally re-pot my remaining three pelars. into larger pots. I have waited all winter as I did not want to pot them up until spring to give them a better start. During the winter months, they have grown spindly and leggy. They grew quite tall- about 12 inches with stems the diameter of a drinking straw: 1/3 inch maybe. Many leaves have fallen off, and there's quite a bit of long stem w no leaves.
1. Can I plant this plant deeper into the soil like you can tomatoes and let roots grow from where the leaves were attached?
2. Or, should I cut them back. If I cut them back, there will be just stems-no leaves.
3. Or, will the plant perhaps perk up and grow leaves along the stems?
4. Or, do you have another suggestion?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America