Photo by Melody

High Yield Gardening: double-planting dwarf fruit trees?

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RevMinnow
Cochranton, PA

March 16, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9451749

A while ago I read an agricultural extension article that said if space is limited you could plant two dwarf fruit trees in the same hole, about 18 inches apart, as long as they are planted on the east-west axis and have similar watering requirements. Does anyone have experience with this kind of double-planting? What are the pros & cons?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9458168

I was hoping someone with more experience would answer, but I'll give it a try.

I wanted to plant several citrus trees in my yard & knew the only way I could get as many as I wanted was to plant them closely. After many web searches, I came across this site that has a lot of info. I know I read another one also, but can't seem to put my fingers on it right now.

http://www.bountifulgardencenter.com/uploads/handouts/Plant Several Trees.pdf

Hope this helps.
RevMinnow
Cochranton, PA

March 23, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9459297

Hi Jo-Ann,

thank you this is VERY helpful, exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.
And since it looks like some of the information came from Dave Wilson nurseries, I can contact them with the question about "east west" or "north south" orientation.

Sue (RevMinnow)
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2013
2:14 AM

Post #9480943

Sue, I finally found the info I was looking for about several trees in one hole. It's from the J&L Garden Center on this page: http://www.bountifulgardencenter.com/handouts.php?tid=278. Look for Plant Several Trees in the links at the bottom. This one helped me a lot.
Jo-Ann

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America