Dahlias All Planted.............

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

All of you on this forum inspired me to try Dahlias in the ground again here in HOT Texas.

I planted 6 in pots last year and only 3 came up.

So my wonderful DH made me a raised bed, with good soil, in a lovely filtered light area (here in Texas we laugh at Full Sun labels) and I planted 11 new Dahlias that arrived last week.

I planted, staked and mulched them today. I have a variety of plant height and flower size.

I have planted Mardy Gras, Binky, Chilson's Pride, Crazy Legs, Lady Liberty, Raz Ma Taz, Vassio Meggos, American Beauty, and 2 Firepots. ( I forget who posted their Firepot pics last year, but I loved them and bought two)

I watered after planting because it was new dry soil......hope that won't hurt it.

Thumbnail by morganc
Athens, PA

So nice Morgan. Can't wait to see all your tubers come up. Mine are still in the attic and should probably be checked again.

Please keep the photos coming for those of us that are several months off before planting. ^_^

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with Carolyn. We'll all look forward to your photos. It was fine to water but hold back on water until you see they have sprouted.

Vassio Meggos and Firepot are wonderful. I haven't grown the others...yet.

Mentor, OH

Morgan, congrats on getting the dahlias planted. If your experience is anything like mine you will have far, far better success planting in-ground rather than in pots. The only time I plants in pots now is if I have extras that I keep on "stand-by" as replacements in case any others rot. You have inspired me to check my stored tubers a little more closely although I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the notion there is any place in the country where someone can plant dahlias while I'm still icefishing. LOL We Northerners are very envious!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I missed listing Zoey Rey which I bought because our friends have a little girl named Zoe. But it is a gorgeous flower.

Ice fishing? BRRRRRRRRR.

Here is a pic of Zoey......hope mine look like this!

Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Indeed a beautiful flower. It is mind boggling the variety as to color and petal formations for dahlias. That must be why people become hooked on them.

Athens, PA

Morgan

Zoe Rey is a beauty. I have been looking at her on and off for the last couple of years.

Arlene - we are both going to be ice fishing soon. They are calling for 3-6" of snow tomorrow. I am definitely living in the wrong place in the country!

We also have the threat of snow but I'm so weary from 3 hours of gardening today that the snow will look wonderful to me.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG.....snow? It was 80 here today. Of course it will cool off again soon, but NOT snow!

Carolyn - do you mean looking to maybe buy her? Swan Island has her.

Athens, PA

Snow - yes they are calling for 3-6" of snow today. Ugh!

Massapequa Park, NY(Zone 7a)

For my friends here in the NE --yes, snow it's still March and we still can have much snow. Truth be told I am sick of it also but Spring will come. Benched up in my garage 46 tubers some showing life already. I look to plant out no later than May 15 here on Long Island.
Steve

I used to aim for June 1st but now I'm getting more courageous and planted mine out in late May last year with no problems.

We've had snow often enough in early April so I'm not shocked when it happens and it does disappear quickly.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

YIKES! My DH is from Connecticut and hated the cold.

Of course it helps that he is a plant freak like me that we live in a warmer area and have a garden!!

When we moved to Texas from California, we found the veggies have TWO planting seasons here. Spring and fall. Amazing what you can grow.

I'm sending warm winds your way to bring on spring.

We're looking forward to spring.

When we spent two weeks in San Marcos, Austin and San Antonio, we got rain/sleet and a huge mess on I35. Must have been the worst weather ever!

Today I worked another 3 hours outside but the last hour (with two jackets and two pair of gloves) I was very cold but determined to finish what I had begun...and I did. When I came inside I checked and with the wind chill factor it was 25. Now that's a bit cold for me!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

25? OMG...25 degrees??

Do you have to stay there?

It's snowing!

How funny! We love it here on Long Island, surrounded by water, wineries, farms and fresh air.

Tomorrow's high will be 45 but it comes with rain. Actually 45 to 50 is great for heavy duty work outside and we have a lot of heavy timbers to be moved but it won't be tomorrow.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, we are very similar pirl - we are also surrounded by wineries, farms, and fresh air......water is very close.......and next week I think one of the overnight LOWS will be in the high 40's.

So not to different :-)

The ace for me is my daughter, and her family, 7 miles away and my son moving closer next week.

The snow is gone, replaced with rain but lots of wind.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OK....family is more important than flowers. It is close though....ha ha ha!

Ha! We have flowers from March through December so I get two months to rest up and place orders. Then comes spring, which happens to be my grandson's birthday. How ideal for a grandma and grandpa who love to garden.

So Spring will arrive tomorrow morning and guess what we'll have for weather on Thursday? Yes, more snow!

Thumbnail by pirl

Adorable little boy Arlene. What a doll

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

So sweet......teach him to garden!

He does! Tomorrow he'll get a golden raspberry plant and two years ago he got a blueberry plant. Hard to believe any little kid could be so thrilled with a plant instead of a toy.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene

He is adorable. Sounds like you have him on the right track. It is important to learn the value of plants and nature. We are supposed to be the caretakers of the earth.

Thank you, Carolyn.

Happy spring, everyone! Many of us thought it would never get here.

Reno, NV

Can't wait to see your Dahlia's in bloom. Cute garden!

Just planted the last of the dahlias yesterday. Whew!

Kenner, LA

Congratulations Arlene... we will wait to see the photos :)

Thank you, MajiA, By August I'll have blooms to share.

Fort Worth, TX

Pirl,

I'm not 2 weeks ahead of you, so I'm looking at August too!

Our weather now feels like August but the sprouts have broken the ground and the largest is about 6" tall. We'll just have to wait.

Fort Worth, TX

mine hit 6 inches and quit growing. I got brave and watered them tonight. (one might be 9 inches tall maybe.)

Are you having very hot weather? Is that what temporarily halted their growth?

Fort Worth, TX

High tomorrow is 102 or 103, is that very hot? Been in the mid 90's for a couple of weeks. thought maybe it is lack of nitrogen, I wanted to gently work some compost in between stuff in the flower bed but I've been busy and it has been hot.

New Hyde Park, NY

Gypsi, 102 or 103 is very hot and you must be a very dedicated gardener to be outside! My dahlias are about 18" and I can see a lot of buds! They loved the heat this past week. Yipee! I can't wait since I have been seeing wonderful pictures posted by others.

Fort Worth, TX

I am a realist. Our temps are near 100 from late June until September. I get up very early in summer and try to be indoors by noon to one, then go back out at 6:30 and work until 10 or so. No evening tv, dinner is a bit iffy. But the heat destroys appetite anyway.

How will the dahlias deal with the heat?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have been giving my Dahlias a bit more water, but I don't give too much for fear of mushing out the bulb/rhizome.

got more opening.......

Firepot fully open after rain
Zoe Rey almost fully open
Vassio Meggos just starting to open

Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc

Lovely. I particularly like Firepot but Zoe Rey is really attractive. Mine are still just little buds or only plants.

Fort Worth, TX

I don't even have buds, do I need to feed them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.