Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Any Suggestions for My Gardenia?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Keithmac
Orlando, FL

March 17, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9452724

I am in Central Florida, the last year or so my Gardenia has had yellowing leaves, low yield of flowers, The bush is 5 years old, lots of buds coming out now but I still have the yellowing and I see what appears to be dirt or dark sand sprinkled around the inner parts of the new growth leaves.

I tried Epsom Salt treatment 3 and 6 months ago, did not see any result.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Keith

Thumbnail by Keithmac
Click the image for an enlarged view.

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9452736

Gardenias like their soil acid like azaleas, roses and blueberries. You can acidify your soil by sprinkling Ironite according to directions and watering it in. The black "grains" might be aphids which like the youngest most tender new growth. Insecticidal soap will take care of these but you will have to apply more than once.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9452852

You can blast the aphids off with a strong stream of water. They come and go on Gardenias, no big deal on an otherwise healthy plant, which yours looks like, just a little chlorosis. An all-purpose fertilizer would probably be the most helpful thing. Looks like a lot of competition from the ground cover.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9452899

Is the Gardenia getting more shade that it used to? Could that black dirt appearance be mildew? I have the yellow leaf problem to a lesser degree with my Gardenias, they are in the shade and need more sun. Often they will also get a black mildew on the leaves. Gardenias don't like to be moved I have read, but my neighbor moved three of hers so she could have a tree cut down and they have done so much better in the sunnier location.
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

March 17, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9453052

Gardenias are generally found outdoors in southern regions and are admired for their glossy green foliage and fragrant blossoms. Gardenia requirements are very exact, and to insure your plants continued bloom, these needs must be met.
- Full sun, with some shading in the summer (in the hottest areas)
- An acid soil with a pH between 5 and 6
- Keep the soil moist, but never soggy
- Humidity, or daily misting
- Heavy feeding
- Cool night temperatures

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9453062

I agree ...feed it and get rid of the aphids and check to see if you have tiny white flies on the shrub...if so you will need to address them.also. ...if you see no improvement in the foliage after a couple weeks, then you can examine other options. . Gardenias are heavy feeders and require regular feeding during the growing/blooming season. Here in zone 9a I have 2 gardenias in Morning sun/bright shade, 1 in full bright shade/dappled light and 1 in full sun...they all perform about equally as to growth and blooming.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America