Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenchild
Decatur, GA

March 18, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9454190

Here is my first attempt at coiling. It takes along time.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9502796

helenchild, I haven't been on in a while and just saw this. It is GORGEOUS!!! How did you keep the gourd steady to drill the holes? This is just beautiful.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 1, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9504313

Actually I use sand bags I made from the sleeves of an old t-shirt I got at the Goodwill to brace all the gourds I am working on, whether carving, drilling or sanding etc. And thanks for the gorgeous comment. :-)*
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9511824

Beautiful! Did you use shoe dye for the color? With my shaky hands I would never attempt to drill those holes' Jo
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9511992

Ooh, so nice! Hmmm, my DIL is doing some hemp jewelry making, and I am growing more gourds this year. I see a possible collaboration over the winter with this method. Helenchild, you are quite the artist. If that is your first attempt at coiling, Your next ones should be gallery ready. Very Beautiful.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 7, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9512604

Jo, I use ink dyes mostly for coloring my gourds. I use to use leather dye but they fade badly.
Thank you scarletbean for the nice comments. Have fun with your new projects. Remember though, the gourds you grow this year won't be ready to craft until probably next spring. They usually take that long to cure.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9514378

Yep, I just put out the birdhouse I grew last year. Those are the seeds I planted this year for next year's gourd projects. Does the leather dye fade even with a polyurethane top coat? and what about regular old acrylic paint? I got a cheap-o set at a yard sale thinking it might work ok for my birdhouses with a poly over it. What do you think? I dont mind if they dont last for more than a season or so.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 9, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9515184

If your gourds are outside they need a yearly coat of poly. I don't think the poly will keep the colors from fading. Probably the same goes for acrylic paint, it probably will fade some.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9515855

That is ok. It's funny, last year I grew gourds for the first time, and the seeds I bought were slow and undependable germinators, I thought I was so lucky to get them to grow and was overjoyed when they bloomed and set fruit. I just figured they were tricky to grow and i'd have trouble all the time. This year, I used the seeds from the ones I grew and boy, they all germinated and are just very robust. I must have dropped some, because seeds are sprouting near my work table. So, FRESHNESS is the key. Do you agree? the store bought envelope must have been old.
The intricacy of coiling is really time consuming. I think this may be a project for someone more advanced than me. I am still getting around to painting mine. I will do the poly over the acrylic and just see what happens.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 10, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9516055

scarletbean,
Join the American Gourd Society and your state organization too. Then you can go to local meetings in your area. They are called Patch Meetings where other gourd artists, both beginners and advanced get together to work on gourd art projects. The one I go to is fun. We meet once a month and have a pot luck lunch and work on a gourd project. Someone with the skill will teach the rest of us how to do a particular skill. Thats where I learned coiling and it really isn't difficult.
Also there is a website that has tons of information. Its free and you can learn a lot there.

http://gourdartenthusiasts.ning.com/main

Also I agree fresh seeds always work the best.
Have fun gourding!!
Helen
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9516686

At the risk of sounding too nerdy, NEAT-O! Thanks Helen.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9539605

Love it! I am fixing to plant bushel gourd seeds this weekend..my hot weather goes a long way..almost to October..lol..just mowed some parts of my land to grow these again..
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9540964

My DD just called from TN and she just started her gourd seeds inside in some little cups. Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America