Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: My cold-storage unit for my canning.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jardinier7
Saguenay, QC
(Zone 4a)

March 19, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9454798

Hello,

I built a cold-storage unit in my home basement.

Do you have a advice for fan?

Pictures:

http://www.revolution-saglac.com/horticulture/chambre_froide_cold-storage_unit/cold_storage_unit.html

This message was edited Mar 19, 2013 9:08 AM
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

March 20, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9455536

Wow that is agreat storage setup, you might check out a duct fan, used to boost air flow in heating ducts. Fred

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9455921

Looks great... and I agree a small duct fan or a computer fan should work fine.

My cold storage unit is a small concrete building outside, partially built into the hillside. It's not very well sealed so there's plenty of ventilation without a fan. I have learned that liquids can freeze, so my foods in jars are only dry goods.
jardinier7
Saguenay, QC
(Zone 4a)

March 21, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9456891

darius wrote:Looks great... and I agree a small duct fan or a computer fan should work fine.

My cold storage unit is a small concrete building outside, partially built into the hillside. It's not very well sealed so there's plenty of ventilation without a fan. I have learned that liquids can freeze, so my foods in jars are only dry goods.

Thank your for your advices !

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9456913

You are a busy man Jardinier. grin Great use of space. Unfortunately a cold room isn't as easy to do here in zone 9a. But, the first home my husband and I shared had only a single wall furnace for heat and the floors were always cold. Husband used a PVC pipe in the corner near the furnace and mounted a squirrel cage fan at the top to draw hot air down to the floor...it made a huge difference...seems that would work in reverse for you circulating the cold air through the room.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America