-
AuthorContent
LadyAspen
Denver, CO

March 19, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9454847

Greetings,
Due to situations beyond my control My roses did not get pruned in the fall so are now budding. I live in Denver CO. I need to know what the best way to cut them back for the spring would be?
Thanks In advance!
Aspen
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 19, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9455021

I don't actually prune my roses at all, but I think that you can go ahead and trim them now if you are not expecting any more serious freezes. Some folks wait until the forsythia blooms to be sure spring has sprung. I am sure other members will add to my questionable advice.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9458866

Hello LadyAspen,
I'm no rose expert, so I go to the articles for help. If you search the articles for "roses", you'll find a ton of them. I especially like Paul Rodman's (paulgrow) articles "Growing Roses from A-Z" . He's located in Michigan & is an Advanced Master Gardener, and American Rose Society Consulting Rosarian. I've posted a response to one of his articles & he replied right away. Here's a link to Paul's article about wintering roses.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/209/

The last paragraph reads: "In the spring after the danger of freezing weather has passed, remove the winter protection and give them a good watering. When the forsythia blooms itís time to prune them and apply the rose fertilizer."

I hope that you find something helpful here. I actually printed all of Paul's rose articles, put them in a binder, & now have my own quick reference rose manual. Pics for remembering last Spring. : )

Thumbnail by greenbrain   Thumbnail by greenbrain   Thumbnail by greenbrain   Thumbnail by greenbrain   Thumbnail by greenbrain
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America