Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What Type Of Taro Is This?

Perth, Australia(Zone 11)

Hi Guys,

I was referred to this forum by another lovely member who helped me identify this little plant as Taro.

I was now wondering what type of Taro this is. I did read somewhere that not all Taro is edible.

Also, what is the optimum growing conditions for them? Do they prefer acidic, alkaline or neutral soil? Full shade, part shade or full sun?

Thanks a million,

Jakometes

Thumbnail by Jakometes Thumbnail by Jakometes Thumbnail by Jakometes Thumbnail by Jakometes Thumbnail by Jakometes
Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Zantedeschia, (Calla Lilly).

Hi Drew,

Just another quick question.

So was I misinformed about it being Taro? This is the Easter Lilly, right?

Kind regards,

Jake & Jahna

Calla Lilly, Jake! Google it and you will imediately recognize it!
Filtered sun, rich well drained moist soil,. and it will rock!

Jake,

Zantedeschia aethiopica to be exact!

Drew

Awesome!

Thanks Drew....

yep!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jake, Jahna the Calla lily http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/768/ is not the same as Easter lily - that one is actually a member of the Lily family http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1026/ . They have a scaly bulb, and the leaves are small and straight and whorled all up the stem. Also Easter lily flowers are fragrant and Callas aren't. But Callas are superior as garden plants because they keep blooming for a long season in cool weather, and Easter lilies only bloom for a couple of weeks then they are done for the year.

Here's my big clump of Callas and a flower. They bloom in the cool weather here, fall winter spring. Go dormant in summer. Like tons of water - in fact I've grown them with the bottom of the pot in my pond, but they don't bloom there. Nice foliage, though.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2013 9:45 AM

This message was edited Mar 26, 2013 9:50 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Hi Dyzzy!
Thank you very much for your information! We also have ours sitting in a self watering tray.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.