Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener: ANSWERED: Tiger lilies and astilbe in Los Angeles???

Communities > Forums > Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener
Forum: Ask-a-Dave's-GardenerReplies: 0, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 19, 2013
10:53 PM

Post #9455481

I live in zone 10a, Los Angeles, and I have a large backyard with mature trees, which create a big, flat area that is always in shade, and a partially shady slope. I have just cleared the area and I'm on the hunt for plants that will grow in the shade. I was in Home Depot today and I found two sets of bulbs, one of them is Astilbe, and the other is called "Lily, Tiger Orange." These are Home Depot-packaged bulbs and unfortunately the latin names are nowhere on the packaging.

I am wondering if I should take these back to the store. When I looked them up neither is listed for zone 10. I am wondering why they can't grow here, perhaps the summers are too hot?

Anyway I am looking for some advice as to whether I should plant these and see what happens, or take them back to the store and do my homework first next time. Any advice appreciated.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ANSWERED: Goblin Blanket Flower uncbba02 1 Aug 2, 2010 5:05 AM
ANSWERED: Morning Glory Removal piakennedy 1 Aug 2, 2010 5:05 AM
ANSWERED: Planting a Caryota Gigas (King Kong Palm) dagasman1 0 Jul 31, 2010 6:21 PM
ANSWERED: sunlight mableruth 1 May 6, 2014 7:47 AM
ANSWERED: Gophers, gophers and more gophers qmischief 0 Aug 7, 2010 4:46 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America