Bluebirds 2013

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Our Eastern Bluebirds have started building their nest here in the Ozarks. I hope they are watching the weather forecast and realize that we are expecting a winter storm for the next 3 days.

Anyway...I hope you will all share your pics and stories regarding Blues!!

The female Blue seems to be doing all the heavy lifting awhile the male stands guard!!

Thumbnail by dellrose Thumbnail by dellrose Thumbnail by dellrose Thumbnail by dellrose Thumbnail by dellrose
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow Rose, these photos are nice and sharp-well done. That little lady sure needs to train her mate so he'll help.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi duc, and Rose, thank you Rose for the thread on these beautiful BBs this Season. I'm with duc, the little lady in blue needs to train her beau better. lol And yes, it's very early for Ozarks' Blues to be so eager to build their nest isn't it? My BBs down in Dixie land are having a time with the Mockingbirds this year. Though, they come and go in the regular basic. But no nest building activity has been observed. I so wished my Mockingbirds will leave them alone already.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
PERTH, Australia

Wonderful photos, Rose. I can understand why people are so in love with those beautiful birds.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Nice pics dellrose and lilly-love, Mine are starting to build too, I just haven't had the time to get photos Too much yard work right now However, I do enjoy seeing them at the mealieworm bowl everyday, Especially this evening when they were only about 5 feet away from me feasting on the worms while I was working in my garden bed.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Last week I heard the birds and wondered if they were already returning to my box. When I checked was very surprised to find a complete nest. Next day I opened box to see what may have happened and found the little female hunkered down. She looked at me, I looked at her, closed the box. She did not leave the nest. This week is terrible weather- wise, I am concerned for her survival, been too cold to check.

Stafford County, VA

My birds started early in March --probably too early since we were then having night time temperatures in the low 20's and daytime temps in the high 30's. She laid five eggs and began incubating them, then after 2 days abruptly abandoned the nest. I watched her remove three of the eggs and then she would not go back inside the box anymore. Very strange. After 2 more days with below freezing temperatures and her never going back in, I removed the nest and the remaining 2 eggs. She would not build another nest in that box, despite urging by her mate. After about a week she started a new nest in the trap box the chickadees nested in last year. That nest has been complete for several days, but no new eggs as yet.

Over the Winter I put one of the Gilbertson PVC nest boxes in the front yard out by the street near where another pair nested in the newspaper box last year. I noticed a couple hanging around it so last week I looked inside to see if there was a nest. To my surprise there was a nest with 4 eggs. I do not know when she had started incubation but it must have been about the same time as the one in the back yard, so I am wondering if these will hatch, considering the freezing temperatures. I should know pretty soon.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, cousin Dave. What fabulous photos as always. Sorry the weather hasn't been cooperative for our little BBs. Hope spring will finally arrive there to ease these little friends struggles to move on with their nesting season. Love their antic, and the pair atop of the snow covered Gilbertson PVC nest. That's priceless! Down south, it's tad warmer. Though it has been wet and cloudy....I haven't found any eggs yet from my BBs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

2dCousinDave, Enjoyed the photos and love the one with the male feeding the female, I see a lot of that here but have not gotten a picture of it yet. Sorry to hear about the cold and the female bluebird incident, I was worried that the female here had laid eggs ( It's 40 degrees and raining) so I went out and checked the box and no eggs yet, But, my area will be warming up quite a bit starting tommorrow. ~ hope the eggs hatch in the trap box (Wish it was warmer there). I'm so surprised for some reason to know that the bb nested in your newspaper box last year, It gives me idea's to set one up in the backyard just to see what might nest in it ( I'm hoping doves will). I like that Gilbertson PVC nestbox picture!

Lily_love, No eggs yet here either, But, Soon I'm sure!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Rose, ah bummer about the snow storm. It's been windy and cold here . We're expecting some of that snow tonight, but should not amount to much.. Hopefully it will start warming up, for you and the bluebirds. Great photos of the ever so busy female.

BATTLEBORO, NC

BBs have tried to occupy but sparrows want to share. Any suggestion as how I might help the blues win?

I pull out the nests and even stuff the hole against entry. Two days the sparrows are frantic about that, then stop trying. I clean and open the box. The blues start occupying again and within a couple days the sparrows are back at it.

I'm thinking of installing a 2nd box close to the 1st, in hopes they all will find peace in their own abode.

Any thoughts????

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 9:27 PM

Stafford County, VA

RESORT2ME, I sent you a private message.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Good luck Lily...I hope the Blues decide to nest in your yard this year. You are so lucky to have so much nest activity!!

Duc...I can't remember if I've ever seen the male help in the nest building...but I can't remember my own name half the time!!

Beautiful shots Dave and so glad to hear the Blues are nesting in your front yard. Sorry to hear about the other nest but the season is still early. Do you think you will get another pair in the back yard?

gessieviolet...any news on your Bluebirds?

Iris...I feed mine meal worms but have their bowl right outside the window so I can feed from inside. They sometimes land on their branch and stare at me if I'm at the kitchen window.

Burn...it is finally warming up here and starting to feel like spring so it is heading your way.

RESORT2ME...I am sure you have received excellent advise from Dave and I wish you best of luck with the Sparrows. I have had the same problem in the past.

Nest Update...Our female has laid two eggs and I expected to find a third this morning but so far only the two. She and the male have been spending a lot of time in and out of the box. Another set of Blues have started a nest in the box by our hayfield. I am hoping we all have a great season with few problems.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

dellrose, Would love to feed right outside the window, But, It would make it hard for me to get photos, Sure would make life easier though and it would be fun, Would love to see them looking in the kitchen window! Congrats on the 2 eggs, Probably be another tommorrow!! Keep us informed please.

Stafford County, VA

The weather is slowly warming here and as of today the back yard birds have two new eggs in the trap box. He is still acting very lovey-dovey and bringing her worms. These pictures were taken today.

The four eggs in the front yard PVC box should be hatching soon but those birds are not yet used to me being around and they fly from the box if I even open the front door. I try not to disturb them but I should be able to tell from the hustle and bustle when their eggs have hatched.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great, Two eggs in the box!! ~And some gorgeous photos shared!!

PERTH, Australia

Superb shots, Dave. Amazing detail.

Stafford, VA

Dave and all,

Good to be back in the bluebird season. Dave, as usual, my birds are about 2 to 3 weeks behind yours. Yesterday I notice a few pieces of grass nesting material on the floor in the back yard house set in a circular pattern like they were getting ready to build. Today there is what appears to be an"almost complete" nest. (photos 1&2) I looked in the front yard box today and noticed the complete nest (photo 3 & 4) I have only seen the front yard pair just sitting in the tree nearby, never entering the nest. I am hoping that this is a different pair from the backyard pair. We will see.

David in Stafford
(anxiously awaiting the appearance of little blue eggs)

for some reason the photos did not set in the right sequence. The first birdhouse goes with the nest in the last photo and the second house goes with the first nest. Not sure how that happened. ( darn electronic stuff - or operator error : /

This message was edited Apr 7, 2013 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells
Stafford, VA

And a separate photo. As I was on my way to the backyard to look at the box I noticed the male bird perched on a "shepherds hook" flower pole that I have put in front of the nest box to try to feed mealworms this year. You will need to magnify the photo to see the pole and the bird to the left of the bird house. Unfortunately I was not ready for this encounter and had my short range lens on the camera when I rounded the corner.

Dave in North Stafford

Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

bluebirdsnbells, I like how the box is set away from things and pretty much by itself, hope you see eggs soon.

Haven't been getting many photos as I've been so busy cleaning the gardens, Did get a few though. ~ And I have three eggs in the nestbox. It's a little harder this year for them because the Mockingbird likes to harrass them, But, they are dealing with it.

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Dave, 2nd Dave and Iris...stunning photos all and here's hoping all goes well for our Blues.

Our back yard Blues laid their 2nd egg last Wednesday and their 3rd one on Sunday. I've never had them skip that many day so I do not know what the heck is going on with them. DH has been doing some work close to the nest for a few hours a day but that has never bothered them in the past. They could be new birds and don't know us very well...I just don't know. The birds by the hayfield have their nest over half finished and all seems fine so far.

Stafford, VA

It is good to hear that we have a good crop of new nests and broods on the way. I really like the photography this year. Keep the photos coming.

David in North Stafford

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

dellrose, Thank you, ~And that does seem odd about the blues skipping days, Please keep us informed on that.
I did manage to get a few more photos before the day was over ..

At the feeder

Waiting for his mate with some food

Getting a drink

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Stafford County, VA

The five in the PVC box in the front yard hatched Sunday morning so the parents are now busy, foraging for the tiny insects the little ones can digest. The tree swallows are looking for an empty nest box but without much luck so far.

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Dave & IRIS!

Stafford, VA

Well my birds finally started their brood. There are 3 Bluebird eggs in the back yard house. A Carolina Chickadee has laid 6 eggs in the front house. I am not sure when that took place as I was concentrating on the blues in back.
Sooo-- I will get to watch two sets of birds this go around. I will try to get some photos when the weather warms up again. It is getting cold at night.

David in Stafford

Stafford, VA

Here are a few photos of the bluebird and chickadee nests.
1 and 2 are papa bird outside the nestbox. The female is in the box. I did not get a photo of her.
3 We have 4 eggs so far. I expect the 5th one tomorrow. If my numbers are correct we should see the hatch about May 7 or May 8.
4 is the Chickadee eggs - 6 total. Since I do not know when they started laying, I am estimating a hatch around May 1. We will see.

Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells Thumbnail by bluebirdsnbells
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi all, as of today there are 5 blue eggs in my BBs nest. I too had 5-6 chickadees eggs last week, but unfortunate the mama chick and the eggs fell preys to some sort of predator. I'm so blue over that. But the BBs seem to do well so far. Dave in Stafford, it appears yours and mine may hatch approximately the same time. Thanks all for the pics. My pc is giving me trouble uploading pictures. So I'll be out of pocket for a while.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

pelletory, Thanks!

bluebirdsnbells, enjoying the photos, And so exciting, We all have eggs and hatchings to look forward too!! Looking forward to all the future photos!! I haven't checked the box recently, But, I had four eggs the last time I looked! ~ Also have Cardnals nesting, Nutthatch nesting, and Mockingbirds nesting.

Lily_love, Sorry to hear of the loss of the chickadee and eggs, thats always so sad! Just wondering, Do you have your boxes on a pole, Or any guards on them?

Here are a few pics from today, I got these just before it was getting dark so not the greatest lighting for pictures, But, I'm so busy here right now and have to try and get pictures when I can.

First 4 -Pappa Bluebird getting his fill of worms ( Of course he always shares them with the female)
Mamma Bluebird came in for some too.

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Cecked the box yesterday, Got some hatchlings !

Hatchlings
Male bringing dinner

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Terrific news, IRIS. Wooohooo, keep them comin' please.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

will do :)

Stafford, VA

Good to see the little ones. Congratulation Iris.

David in Stafford

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks David!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Few more photos of the parents ( Don't want to disturb the nestbox, Cold and rainy here) ...

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Most recent photos ( Taken today) ... Been having tons of bird babies around lately ( thrush, Robin, red bellied woodpecker, Wren .. And soon to be Bluebirds!) Also have a cardnals nest for the first time in the hollie bush.
Pappa Blue - collecting food
Mama blue - Collecting food
mama Blue ... Dinner is served
Papa Blue ... Dinner is served
The babie blues ...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Fabulous pics. and adorable Blues family. Thank you IRIS, seeing your posting made my evening. It also lower my BP for health as well. Many thanks. ^_^

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

OMG, those babies are soooooooo cute.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Lily_Love, Thankyou! And Your Quite Welcome!!! I know what you mean about lowering the BP, Watching the birds and photographing them gives me much Peace and serenity!! It's the times I am doing this that I feel At Ease.

Mrs_Ed, Yes they are! ~ I wish I had done a date on them when they eggs were laid so that I knew about what day they would fly, i guess I'll just have to watch and hope for the best to catch some flight shots when they leave. But, i know they will be returning with the parents to eat at the feeders so hopefully I'll get some good shots when they do.

Stafford, VA

The 4 Bluebird eggs hatched on May 6 with much fanfare. The 2 parents were in and out of the nestbox all day. I snapped a couple of Papa waiting for the female to come out of the box. The two photos of the hatchlings are from today about an hour ago. I expect the fledge to be around May 22-25 with the 23rd as the most probable date.

David in Stafford

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images