What's for dinner? (Part 43)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299991/

Spring has officially arrived according to the calendar, but not so much according to the weather forecasts. Nevertheless, it is time for a new thread to usher in the new season. Around here, we have been on the go-go-go counting down the days to graduation and making college plans for the fall, but I'm also hankering for some traditional spring foods, especially asparagus and berries. (Not together :-). So what's for dinner at your house?

Thumbnail by Terry
Missouri City, TX

Thanks, Terry.

Dahlonega, GA

I'm in .

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Evidently spring has eliminated Wisconsin from it's agenda as we are expecting yet another round of snow and cold. Last year it was 60* at this time. This has been the 5th coldest March since the 1800s. Gee, thanks mother nature.

However, being that cold inspired me to slow cook a couple of nice beef short ribs, which were reduced to tenderness after about 8 hours. The last hour I covered them in some leftover BBQ sauce I made before Christmas. Good to save those small portions that aren't enough to feed the mob. Made rice as a side and steamed up some fresh cauliflower. My old home ec. teacher told us we shouldn't serve two whites at a meal because it wouldn't look pleasing, so I drowned the cauliflower in a nice cheddar cheese sauce. So there, Miss O'Hare.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

M5, I need to root in the chest freezer... pretty sure I have some short ribs buried in there somewhere, and those will be good for the upcoming snow days here.

Here's the veal shanks for Osso Buco after only browning. I just cooked 3 shanks because there's only my sis and me... and she's not sure if she'll like it or not. The photo after cooking them in liquid (dry white wine, veal stock, mirepoix and herbs) is still waiting to be taken... they need to cook a little bit more to tenderness after being refrigerated overnight.

I think I may take Laurel's suggestion of serving it over creamy grits.

Thumbnail by darius
Columbus, OH

Now I so want to make these.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Mmmm I bet the short ribs would have been good with grits...

Dahlonega, GA

Here you go , Darius :

1 C. SELF RISING FLOUR
3 OZ.CORNMEAL
1/2 TSP SALT
2 TBS SUGAR WHISK ALL TOGETHER UNTIL WELL BLENDED

IN SEPARATE BOWL:
1/2 C. BUTTERMILK
1 EGG
1 STICK BUTTER (MELTED )
1 0Z CREAM CHEESE (MELTED )
3 OR 4 GREEN ONIONS (USE ALL ) WHISK TOGETHER AND ADD TOGETHER WITH DRY INGREDIENTS. MIX WELL AND
ADD:
12 OZ CRAB MEAT
1/3 C. SHREDDED SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE
1 MINCED JALAPENO PEPPER ( OR 2 IF MILD)
1TBS MINCED GARLIC MIX WELL

HEAT PEANUT OIL IN POT FOR DEEP FRYING TO 350°

SCOOP INTO BALLS AND COOK IN HOT OIL UNTIL GOLDEN DRAIN WELL ON PAPER TOWELS , BLOT TOPS AND SERVE

THESE ARE LIGHT AND TENDER . IF JALAPENOS ARE NOT HOT ENOUGH , AND YOU WANT MORE SPICE,ADD CAYANNE PEPPER TO DRY INGREDIANTS
iF YOU DON'T USE SELF RISING FLOUR, ADD 1/2 TSP BAKING POWDER TO DRY INGREDIENTS

Cool beans, Thanks Sally!

Dahlonega, GA

Sorry it took so long .
I'm putting together the hush puppies , crab and shrimp salad , deep fried oysters .

I could hate you! I haven't had fried oysters in so long that I've almost forgotten the taste.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the new thread Terry! I'm back from a long day visiting a nursery a few hours each way. Came home to DH working on clearing the living room. Big reno project is starting Tues with replumbing of hot water radiant heating to make demo etc easier the week after. I have about 3wks left with my kitchen, such as it is now.

We're doing a beef & broccoli stir fry for dinner. Your dinners all sound so good!
Tam

Tam, I may have to put you on my "almost hate" list (with Digger's fried oysters) for your hot water radiant heating! I'd do that in a heartbeat if I had the funds. :)

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Its not the under-foot radiant type. Its the radiator around the room periphery type. But still very nice! We're getting under the floor (tile) electric radiant heat for the new kitchen. DH has a problem with circulation and tile will be over a concrete slab (w/o basement underneath) so gets really cold. So its practically a medical purpose. :-) I'm so excited to have the warm floors!!!! (I'm kinda hoping the cats prefer the floor to the counters too)

Off to start dinner.
Tam

I have a DG friend in the very cold (higher elevation) NC mountains. Her husband installed the periphery-type hot water heating when they built the house many years ago. I've stayed there numerous times and always been comfortable. A year or two before he died, he tapped into the boiler and ran pipes to heat a GH for her. No extra heating costs except the initial materials, and a few extra chunks of wood for the boiler every winter.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

It is very comfortable!

The beef & broccoli was really good!
Tam

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We're going to a ham and fried oyster dinner at a nearby firehouse tomorrow night, so we will get our fill of oysters there. Yum!

Tonight we served the cassoulet to a friend who came over to attend a symphony with us afterwards. I made one-crust blackberry pie with crème fraîche topping for dessert. It was all very good. I think it's time to put the leftover cassoulet in the freezer for a bit, though. You can keep those things going forever if you can stand it to keep eating it!

Dahlonega, GA

Fresh redfish and trout tonight . Getting our fill of seafood while we can . Don't have that stuff in N Georgia .

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

We had another blast of winter yesterday and last night. Tonight we are having a few friends over for a "spring" meal, ham with a pineapple, orange glaze, creamed new potatoes and peas and a German chocolate decadent brownie dessert. Debating whether try and do fresh dinner rolls, or slice last night's sour dough potato bread.
How did the osso bucco go over with your sister, Darius? It's one of our favorite foods when we can manage to find veal shanks.When we worked in Kansas City I could count of McGonigles having veal, but in small town Kansas it's a rarity.

My sis hasn't tried the osso buco yet. She didn't get home from work until 11:30 last night, too late for me to fix a plate for her and I don't know her work hours for today or tomorrow. I'll need to make some fresh gremolata (and more grits) when she's ready, but she'd better hurry. Fortunately, my flat parsley has sprouted just enough to clip a few more tiny sprigs... Italian parsley is rare in the stores here.

I had family in Clay Center many, many years ago, and I'm sure it was a LOT smaller then! My grandfather graduated from the university in Manhattan, but most of my family was in Delphos. (I think we talked of this once before.)

Columbus, OH

Bibimbap, if I'm ambitious, scallion pancakes.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey guys...thought I was chopped! Took a few minutes to catch up once I found you. In brief, Sally I'm with Darius on the oyster envy. Ditto the redfish but you can definitely get world class trout in North Georgia streams. Those camps in our neighborhood that charge thousands to fish for a weekend are a testament to that. Maybe your DS needs to come fishing here. I wish SO would break out his waders and spend a day at Panther's Creek. He might need his new hip first.
M5, been lusting for short ribs so much that I've been considering taking already roasted beef ribs and braising them a la short ribs.
Darius, what did you think of the creamy grits as a side? Did you make cheese grits? That's what I do.
Tam, I've not been stir frying much lately. Beef and broccoli will undoubtedly be on the horizon with garden broccoli underway.
Leslie, I never tire of cassoulet. Maybe it's because I don't make it as often as you do.

We are having a chicken and vegetable pot pie with lots of mushrooms. With Passover starting tomorrow evening I am getting in all the grain dishes we won't be able to eat during the holiday. The lamb shanks are braised and done in a style similar to osso buco. They will get served with gremolata too. I used sweet vermouth instead of white wine. The chicken soup is done. Needs matzo balls. The ritual foods for the seder plate are finished. Will do a dressed room temp platter of roasted and grilled veggies including peppers, onions, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli. I'm going to make baked apples with a spiced matzo meal, pecan, brown sugar and maple syrup filling for dessert. Dollop of home Greek yogurt on top. We were going to have our seder at Maypop but decided to leave for Miami a few days earlier so not time to make a trip up to the cottage.

Laurel, I adore cassoulet but you haven't seen the size of my pot, plus I keep adding to it to balance out the ingredients. I only make it once a year, and I didn't even do that last year so it's been a while. We had it twice in France this past fall, but I actually like my version best.

Laurel, for the Osso Buco I made some creamy grits (using Anson Mills' Antebellum Coarse Yellow Grits) but without cheese. http://ansonmills.com/recipes/489?recipes_by=grain

I didn't miss the cheese...

Dahlonega, GA

Laurel , there is a hole just below our place in the Chestatee that gives us 18 to 23" rainbows . My boy has never eaten fresh water trout ,I don't think . He used to fish the bass tournaments but when he went out and caught his first bull red , he was hooked on salt water fishing.Johnny caught a 26" rainbow out of that hole a few years ago , but the walk down and back up is so steep , he rarely goes anymore.
I like wade fishing and catching a limit of trout 18 to 24".speckled trout, that is. I have all my own gear but need new waders .May get him to try Panther creek

This message was edited Mar 25, 2013 6:25 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's so beautiful there. We take a picnic. So much fun to sit in the rushing water. I collect flat river rocks to make markers for garden perennials. The water is cool even in August.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm thinking chicken pot pie for tomorrow night - maybe it'll fight off the chilly temps....brrr! Then maybe some chili 3-way on Tuesday, just because I haven't made any this year and I've got a hankering - and the temperatures MIGHT become more springlike if I wait much longer.

I've lived in and around the Appalachian mountains for so long that I forget not all trout are freshwater. I DO prefer the freshwater trout from our pristine mountain streams, but the last steelhead I had wasn't too shabby.

I bought some used waders at a yard sale last year (too large, but cheap and still watertight) and I have a lovely small graphite rod I've owned for 30+ years... maybe this year I'll buy a license and a trout stamp and do some fishing. I'd like to try some fly fishing, but it's difficult here because all the creeks are narrow and have overhanging trees.

A DG friend and I bought several pieces of pork belly and I'm now curing them for bacon. I'm doing one small (about 2#) piece with a savory cure... crushed juniper berries, bay leaf, fresh thyme, garlic, and lots of black pepper (plus the salt cure itself). It should be interesting to use a chunk of it in a pot of beans.

I'm not inspired in the least about something for supper...

I was going to make deer steaks with mashed potatoes and salad for DH, DS and two DGDs. But it's snowing now and I think it calls for something heartier, so I've got crockpot chicken with black beans, corn and salsa simmering away instead.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I've got some ground beef & roasted tomato sauce pulled from the freezer to go with some sauted cabbage & onions.
Its a winter wonderland here. Just sad its spring!

Tam

I think lots of us are having a white start to Spring!

Amazing, isn't it? At least it's pretty, but I'm afraid that the peas that I planted so optimistically at the beginning of March are now rotting in the ground!

Yikes! How did I ever overlook gremolata?? It was good with the Osso Buco I just made, but I never dreamed how good it could be on other dishes... I guess I had a deprived cooking upbringing!

It would be great on steamed asparagus (or almost any other green veggie), and any seafood, but I'm not sure I'd like it on scrambled breakfast eggs.

Thumbnail by darius Thumbnail by darius
Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Tonight will be Pasta w/asparagus and mushrooms. Best with morel mushrooms, but as dry as our area is I don't think I'll "wait" for the morels this spring.

Gads, I'd LOVE to find some morels in my woods!

i haven't seen even the tiniest tip of an asparagus spear poking up in my asparagus beds, but it shouldn't be long now.

Darius, I've never made gremolata - or even tasted it to my knowledge. I'll have to check it out.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Yep. Same here.

Dahlonega, GA

Well now , after Consumer Report and a lot of shopping , around for Ninja products , I decided to go with the one advertised on T V .1500 watts and 2hp motor . Same price as the 1200watt that you find in stores . Called mega kitchen unit . 72 oz pitcher ,64 oz bowl , two single serve cups 6blade for pitcher,4blade for bowl ,single serve blade and dough blade for bowl . This is heavy duty and not a toy .Even makes ice cream , snow cones . I'm going to enjoy it . Can chop cabbage fine enough for coleslaw . ( I'm picky about that ).
Love it , love it , love it !
Porterhouse for Johnny tonight and think I'll have a peach smoothie .

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

leftovers here w/roasted brussel sprouts. Today we lost the heat in the living room & the downstairs bathroom as we march towards the new kitchen/first floor reno.

Tam

I don't envy you all the hassle of renovating, Tammy, but a year from now it will all be a distant memory and you'll be so pleased!

We had leftover chicken and leftover blackberry pie for dinner. Nothing exciting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.