Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Leggy Seedlings

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Spyguy
Pike Road, AL

March 23, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9458944

Hello, I am starting seedlings in a pro-hex by Jiffy with a grow light over head (one side does get more light so I try to rotate it) and the seedlings are still leggy! What can I do to save them? Do I need to do anything? (There is an eight inch gap from seeds to light)

I the seeds Im starting that are leggy are
Russian mammoth sunflower
An several tomatoes
Also ornamental sunflowers
Zinnias

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9458956

Lower the lights or raise the tray. The light should be just above the seedlings, maybe just 1" - 2" clearance.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9459055

I agree with stephanietx , you need to get the light source and the plants closer together. I don't really know about the sunflowers, this is my first year growing them, but the Zinnias and the tomatoes can for sure be saved. You may know this and you may not, but Zinnias and the tomatoes can be planted very deeply and that will help a lot with the problem with being lanky when you start to plant them in the garden.I am not sure about the sunflowers, but I suspect that they could be also. I have a few Russian Mammoths I let get lanky, I planted them a little deeper than normal and it did not seem to bother them, but I did not plant them as deeply as I would have for lanky tomatoes and zinnias. If you have a lot of them (I only had two) you might try planting a couple of them really deep and see how they do? Then let us know. I do plan on planting more directly in the garden, but I got bored one day and needed something to plant.
Spyguy
Pike Road, AL

March 23, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9459114

Thanks, I raised the tray and will bury zinnias and tomatoes @ planting time! I'll post again when they're in the ground.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9459133

I keep shop lights almost, but not quite, touching the seedlings.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America