-
AuthorContent
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9459807

Hi all, dropping in again after a short absence. Been trying to catch up a bit on posts -- good to see everybody.

I have a question about eggplant. This is my first attempt and my seedlings have a zillion tiny holes in them. They may be toast, but I'm hoping to find out what little critter has been aiming for them, and what to do about it, either now or in future. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Lise
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9459834

Flea beetles?
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9459882

Thanks -- just did a search on it and I think you're right. I'm having the same problem with cabbage seedlings and apparently the flea beetles (cabbage flea beetles) go after those as well.

I found an article on ways to thwart the critters -- I will try alternating a few of the suggestions -- spinosad, garlic spray and hot pepper. I am glad to know that spinosad is effective against the flea beetle, even though it is not (yet) listed on the label -- because I already have some!

Here's the article, if you (or anyone) is interested:
http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/fleabeetle.html

Thanks again.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9461858

Are your Eggplants already planted? Just wondering bc they are heat loving plants, more so then peppers.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
9:52 PM

Post #9462085

No, I just started some seedlings, but I probably set them out too soon. They are inside tonight! But I am probably going to start some more, since I have time. Thanks for that.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9463347

They should be fine if your just setting them outside. If you can get rid of the flea beetles.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9463543

I have found that my eggplants do better if I can start them on an elevated balcony or deck where flea beetles don't travel. You can raise the plant entirely like that, or just get it to the point where it's no longer as vulnerable to the beetles and then transfer to your garden. Rotenone works to deter them but I'd rather not use it if I can avoid it.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9463614

greenhouse_gal
Texas flee beetles are monsters ... they can fly everywhere.
LiseP I always have problems with flee beetles in my eggplants (planted outside only).
Last year I had good success (not great) applying NEEM OIL on the leaves.

I was reading about KAOLIN CLAY and I came across these two articles.
This product seems also to work on flee beetles:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0111564818266.html
... As long as I kept it sprayed on the eggplants, the flea beetles were GONE! At most I might see one or two lonely guys wandering around slowly. As soon as the clay wore off, they were back in mass ...

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Kaolin-Clay_vq2138.htm

Now I don't like to spray anything on my plants ... so I might just wait to see what does happen. I am planting my eggplants this year in a new area of the veggie garden, away from the previous year planting area.

Good luck !

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9463696

I have eggplants under lights, and some I sowed seed for outside in an Earthbox. The ones inside have leaves that are about 5" and the EB eggplants are just now taking off.

I ordered a bolt of tulle, and plan on wrapping the EB eggplants with it, just to give them a better headstart before the flea beetles suck the life out of them.

Here's a pic of the indoor eggplants, and two others.

#1 Bell Pepper Seedlings under lights
#2 Listada de Gandia and Pot Black Eggplants
#3 Final Harvest of the Fall 2012 Beets & Turnips

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9464032

Wow, Gymgirl, those are beautiful. Some of my Listada de Gandias are up, but they took FOREVER. They're in a warm room under a light. They will be moved to the indoor greenhouse and then transplanted into bigger vessels. I'm growing most all of them in mix of vermiculite/perlite and watering once or twice a day. It stays 82 degrees in that room, but they need some CO2 so the move will be good for them (I hope). They're still teensy tiny, though. I'm babying them. I love breaded deep-fried eggplant with Ranch dip. Almost as good as steak. Almost. I'm trying to plant all my older seeds from 2011/2012 before I dig into my new ones. I bought some Casper and can't wait to start those.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9464105

Solace,
I do have a thread started on Casper Eggplant because my seedlings never grew ... but now they did catch up with the other eggplants.
Please could you let me know how your Casper will grow?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9464127

Thank you, Solace!

As I recall, my eggplant seedlings were up in about 5-10 days. I was surprised they came up so fast. I need to pot them up, but I hesitate, since our weather looks like it will stabilize itself after today, so I may just set the community flat out to start hardening them off.

I water the community flat late at night. I've found that most of my seedlings started indoors under lights do just fine with being watered just before lights out at bedtime. I enjoy measuring their overnight growth first thing in the morning, which is when I usually have to adjust the lights upward about 1/2" to 1"!

P.S. I'm about to start feeding them lightly. Been holding off because if I had fed them before now, they'd have grown too fast, and I couldn't have put them out in the cold temps. So, now that it's starting to stabilize outside, they'll start getting some baby food!

LOL!

Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9464149

Eggplant take forever to get going but once they start they take off. Never have been able to figure that out.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9464156

The weather report I just saw calls for near freezing temps next week too, but I don't I don't know if that means Houston too.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9464176

HOUSTON 10 Day Forecast Updated: Mar 27, 2013, 4:09 pm CDT

Tonight, Mar 27, 70F 53F, Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 0%
WIND: SE at 16 mph

Thu Mar 28, 74 59, Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 20%
WIND: SE at 14 mph

Fri, Mar 29, 79 62, Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 20%
WIND: SE at 13 mph

Sat, Mar 30, 78 63, Isolated T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN: 30%
WIND: SSE at 11 mph

Sun, Mar 31, 81 64, Isolated T-Storms
Easter Sunday Forecast
WIND: S at 7 mph

Mon, Apr 1, 83 62, Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 10%
WIND: SSE at 12 mph

Tue, Apr 2, 72 59, Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN: 50%
WIND: SSE at 15 mph

Wed, Apr 3, 71 52, Few Showers
WIND: NW at 12 mph

Thu, Apr 4, 74 52, AM Clouds / PM Sun
CHANCE OF RAIN: 10%
WIND: NNW at 11 mph

Fri, Apr 5, 77 57, Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN: 0%
WIND: NNE at 11 mph

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013 4:06 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9464182

Looks better then mine. Lol I have 15 different types of EP started it's amazing the difference in the speed of germination and growth. Some look like Palm trees and some are just sprouting.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9465003

Thanks for the great conversation on the eggplants. I appreciate hearing about everyone's experiences.

greenhouse gal, my little pots have been out on my deck, but it's not an elevated deck and maybe it's also too close to other garden plants.

drthor, thanks for the info on the neem oil and kaolin clay. If I try anything, I might try spinosad first, since I already have that, but...

Linda, I was thinking about that tulle too -- I had already decided that this was the year I was going to get aggressive about svb on the zucchini, so that just adds to my eagerness to pick some up. Time to get my Hobby Lobby and Joanne fabric coupons out! Your photos are beautiful, by the way.

Lisa, glad to know there is tremendous variation in how fast the seedlings come up. I have a couple varieties planted -- black beauty and an asian one (long, lavender) that I can't recall the name of at this moment.

Solace -- breaded eggplant with ranch dressing - yum!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9465030

Hail! Hail! The gang's ALL here!

Welcome back Lise!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9465083

You can also make eggplant parmigiana: dip in seasoned flour (garlic powder,salt,pepper), then in beaten egg, then dip in a mixture of the seasoned flour, fine cracker crumbs, and grated parmigian cheese. (You can salt the eggplant and let it sit in a colander for an hour to make it absorb less oil when frying) Then deep fry in walnut or grapeseed oil, drain, and top with a nice spaghetti sauce and more parmigian cheese (put in the broiler briefly to meld the cheese with the sauce.) You can drizzle a little cold pressed olive oil onto it after broiling to take this dish over-the-top!

Here's more info about eggplant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant

http://www.naturalnews.com/027506_eggplant_skin_cancer.html
RATFOOD
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9467170

I haven't been here in about three years, then I sign up again, and LiseP, Gymgirl, and 1Lisac all together in one thread... You folks made my weekend. Cheers, and happy Easter.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9467250

You just made mine! Welcome back, I was wondering what happened to you. So glad to see your post.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
10:50 PM

Post #9467280

I don't think we've formally met!

Hey! Hi! Hello there!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9468273

Long asian- something like ping yuang- there went the memory again, but i was wanting a few of those too
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9472578

Hey Ratfood, good to see you on here! I'm always happy I'm not the only person crazy enough to grow veggies in San Antonio heat. I haven't checked around the site for new threads, but I hope you post with what you have going in your garden this year -- if not on this thread, then another.

Linda, thanks for the welcome back. I go in and out, so forgive my tardiness on this thread or that. But I'm definitely here.

Kittriana, yes, you're close on that name, but I think it's fuan yang or something similar. I'll check my seed pack and get back to you.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9472754

Kittriana - Checked my seed pack -- that variety of long lavender Asian eggplant I have is Fengyuan Purple. Was that the one you were trying to think of?

Linda - I bought some tulle. Do you have any tips on just how to wrap/cover an individual plant? Just trying to figure out the technique. I have 4 zucchini plants that I definitely want to protect from SVB, and now the eggplants from flea beetle. Anything else a good candidate for needing the fabric? Do you just lightly lay it over the top? Anchor it somehow? Thanks for any tips.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9472770

LiseP,
I'm in the process of figuring that out, myself!

My bell peppers have been out a week now. I sat the trays in the wheelbarrow under the patio cover (out of necessity), and decided they were in a good place, so I cut off a length of tulle (my piece is 60" wide) and just draped it over the plants. I sorta wedged the sides in, so nothing could fly or crawl underneath. And, I left enough slack to the plants could reach upwards, freely.

So far, so good, cause I found what looks like a cutworm moth laying on TOP of the tulle. Guess it was trying to figure out how to bet to the stems, LOL, but I sent it into another existence before it did...

I'm seeding two beds this weekend, and will cover the seeds with the tulle. I'll use landscape pins (make your own from bent wire hangers & save $) to anchor them to the soil, and leave enough slack. I like that it's light enough to float, just like the row cover.

I'll leave anything I cover/wrap under only long enough for the plant to get to a size big enough to take some hits from the predators that will eventually come. I know I can't keep them all off, but at least the plants will have a fighting chance, especially the zucchinis. That's truly what I bought it for -- to keep the Squash Moth and Squash Vine Borer off the zukes!

Hope this gives you an idea for using it!

Linda

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9472773

No. but abt the same. Hooray! I made it to San Antone at noon- BAD timing. Houston was just as awful at 9am, too. On that EPlant, i have to look it up again, had mech failures I was fighting and it looks like a twister hit my trucks interior.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9472796

??? "Houston was just as awful..."

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9472808

Pin Tong Long is what piqued my curiousity. Lynda I slid thru Baton Rouge last nite, but spent the nite at Egan, La. Am bringing weekend chicken to HEB San Antone. So I hit Houston running west during a TON of traffic. Now, i head back home to spend a few days and throw seeds into the dirt.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9472816

Oh, traffic! Yep. Horrible!

I'm throwing seeds tomorrow.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9472927

You're right, Kittriana, those two eggplants look very similar.

Linda, thanks for the guidance. This is my first attempt at floating row cover. You sent me some great info on it last year, but I never did get around to ordering it. So we'll see how it goes with the tulle. Heading out to play now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America