Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: possible freeze

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 235, Views: 1,688
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 24, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9460423

What are the odds of a real freeze tonight and Monday night? I have some gomphrena, zinnia and cosmos set out in the beds. Should I cover them?
Cheryl

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9460538

I covered up my vegetables today, and a few miscellaneous things throughout the yard. Forecast is for freezing temperatures tonight and tomorrow night. :(
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9460540

I'm 225 miles south & I'm covering my babies. But, of course, I watered everything first!!!
Crazy Texas weather but where else would we live? lol
:~)
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 24, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9460544

I am not worried about the perennials but I do wonder how the annuals will do. They are sort of spread out so they might just have to take their chances. I hope it stays a little above 32 tonight. Oddly its usually just a little warmer at my place than what is forcast. Of course that doesn't mean I will luck out tonight or tomorrow night.
C

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9460553

At a weather site that I belong to (where there are a lot of mets) news really doesn't look good for Arlington. I'd get the frost cloths out just in case.

My province has a lot of snow (historical record breaking in fact) so we are sharing our cold very well this year.

A Houstonian posted this at a weather site I belong to (they like to watch my winter weather): "Spring? What's that? :cold: We won't be out of the 50's today with N winds gusting to 36mph. Feels like temp is 52f. Low this morning was 47f, with a low of 35f expected tomorrow and the next day. THIS IS NOT SPRING!!!!"

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9460570

Another Texan just posted this re Arlington: "Yeah unless they live in the urban cores of two big cities (32-33), it's likely to be 32 or below. Tomorrow night everyone will probably be 32 or lower since there won't be any wind. (Austin metro area same scenario)"

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9460639

Indy- abt an hour after 'Virgil' arrived. Indiana may have been a desert last year, but may turm rather soggy this year..
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 24, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9460705

I pulled pots back to the greenhouse, and some bogs back into the greenhouse, and covered the annuals I had set out. In the veggie garden I only have onions, swiss chard, spinach and asparagus. I ate the asparagus, everything else can handle 31. My veggie garden is mainly in 4 inch pots in the greenhouse with a heating mat under them, I expect they will be fine, especially when I put the heat lamp on the chicks.

When Arlington doesn't freeze, I usually freeze, sometimes the only frozen spot in the metroplex seems to be my house. so when I set my annuals and greenhoused perennials out I put them all together, and they are all tucked in for the night.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9460717

anything is possible - I am betting it will
freeze even if only foe a few hours.

We re up to our eyebrows with plants
inside the house, but I don't dare send
the outside till after Easter !

W had hail the size of jey limes here
Saturday am at 8:30 am.

As they say, febrero loco, marzo oto poco,
and it IS loco around here right now !
as usual for March

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9460719

I put 5 gal buckets over my tomato transplants. Hope that will keep them safe. Tomorrow, if it's going to be much colder, I might have to put some Christmas lights under the buckets for them. I'm not worried about the spinach, onions, cilantro, or garlic.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 24, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9460726

I didnt cover a thing. I have about 2 dozen annuals planted and some newly plants cacti and perennials. I hope they are ok but I will know for sure soon enough.
C

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9460734

I've been telling my family-in-Boston how great spring is in Texas! It's still colder back east. More snow tonight or tomorrow. We bought patio chairs...can I lie in the sun, soon?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 24, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9460742

I go out all the time Carrie, being from MI, 40's feel pretty good in Feb.
C

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9460987

"Here's a good link to check temps across the U.S. Just click one of the sections with the 3-letter identifier and the map will show temps in red. Numbers in green are dew point temps. Upper 20s in the Dallas/Arlington area this morning. Upper 30s down here in Houston. "

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/ A lot of Texas is cool today!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9461042

"Tomorrow morning's freeze should the worst of it. Duration will be longer than this morning then it's a good go aside from outlying areas on Weds. Mentioned this in the spring thread, warming up for wxman later this week and into a wetter pattern. Can't discount an April frost for some places as the AO remains negative and far north still well below normal, but gardening season should be able to get going full force soon."

as per http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=112723&p=2302211#p2302211

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9461047

next 2-3 nights will be even colder
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 25, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9461091

Tomorrow is supposed to be cold but I had no frost today as far as I can tell. Tuesday is listed as being warmer?
C

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9461171

No ice on my birdbath last night.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9461180

It was 30 here this morning, I covered the most delicate plants, those that are very small and the milkweed.
The rest are all fine uncovered, I hope this is over soon.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9461232

About 5 hours north of you 21* here,they say one more cold night then back into the 40's at night here and 70's rest of the week
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 25, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9461261

According to the NOAA it got to 31 for 3 hours, then dropped to 28 at 7:48 am, then back up. I don't see any damage on stuff I didn't cover,but I'm not uncovering my fragiles.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9461296

Current weather prediction is showing 28 for tonight.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9461334

This morning was 35F here. My soil temperature was 50F.
I did cover the tomatoes and the cucumbers ... all the blankets I have ...
Tomatoes are looking good and I actually think they are enjoying this weather ... I know it seems strange ... but I never had so beautiful green leaves and such a thick stem ... My plants have been out since February 16th ... I think they are used to some chill ... but I am still worry ...
Strangely the cucumbers look good too! I might have lost 2 plants (they are both too close to the edges ... I will be really surprised if they will survive after tonight !

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9461347

I only covered my tomatoes. Everything else can handle the cold. I just didn't want my babies to die! LOL
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 25, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9461380

I am not uncovering today, the flowers I have covered are only cold-hard to 40 degrees, a day under a blanket won't hurt them.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9461523

I started a bunch of stuff inside and it really should be potted up--stems are getting REALLY stretched. OTOH I would be scouring the yard for one or two crocus back north. Yes, Cheryl, 40* is awesome in Feb-March, but I'm still going to wait a week or two before sun-bathing!
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

March 25, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9461692

Amazingly, I have resisted the urge to put anything in the ground yet. I did start unloading the greenhouses a couple of weeks ago -- just some of the new seedlings of milkweed, dill, parsley, etc. I moved them all back in Sunday. I heard a newscaster say this was winter's last gasp. My response to the television? "Die, already!" I'm ready for warm weather! ((Be sure to remind me of this statement when I start complaining in August.))

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9461871

They wait until August to roll out the really hot weather? No.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 25, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9461873

NO~! It can be hot as ...way before August. I wish.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9461916

It's was 30 here this AM supposed to be lower tommorrow AM, close to freezing in town Wed AM, that means a freeze here. My stuff is staying covered, it will be fine. So glad I haven't planted out yet, this is unusually cold.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9461934

Doing my best to save my tomato transplants. Grew these things from seed starting in January. I don't want to lose them now!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9462076

Pretty garden lights. Sittin in Big Cabin, Ok- dry here, bright moon, short sleeve weather at 28* simply because there is no wind.Check dew points and it will tell you if there was frost at dawn. I dont think there was.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
9:55 PM

Post #9462089

Looks so pretty, Stephanie! I put down some sheets and put plastic back up on my hoops. They are talking 31 here tonight, and we tend to always be a couple degrees warmer than whatever the weatherman says, but I will sleep better tonight, knowing my plants are also going to sleep a little warmer.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

March 26, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9462216

Hope your tomato plants made it through the night, Stephanie. I know that protective feeling -- I've got a bunch I grew from seed, too. They're going in the ground on Wednesday. 32 here this morning...so far.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9462230

29 here this morning, I am sooo ready for warmer weather!!!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 26, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9462248

got down to 26 last night, hard ice on the dog's water, but up to 29 already. It was down 4 hours. If it was tender and freezeable, it froze. I covered the main lot of tender plants and the geenhouse is fine.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9462383

37F here this morning.
Covered my tomatoes with all the blankets I own. I worry and I don't ... my tomatoes have been out for more than a month ... even with 32F out there.
They are the best plants I ever grew ... let's see how they will produce ...
The rest of the garden is just fine ... Irises blooming and new roses are starting to blossom: Soleil d'Or and Abraham Darby.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9462499

Beautiful! When you say your tomatoes are "the best plants you ever grew" how do you mean? Healthier plants, different cultivar, different method?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9462523

Sorry carrielamont, my English is not the best.
I try to explain.
This is my fifth year that I am growing tomatoes in DFW. I am a "fearless" gardener and I always transplant tomatoes out mid February.
This year has been colder than the past 5 years (in my opinion). I had to cover my tomatoes for multiple nights ... they survived 32F and heavy winds.
The plants are amazing (soon you will see pictures) : thick stems and beautiful green leaves ... because I think they put themself in a "survivor" mode ... to be able to live in this condition.

We will see if I am right !!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 26, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9462612

I didn't cover anything so I will see how things look when I get home today. Sort of scary...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9462662

Tomatoes are 100% OK. They actually look like they produce suckers and flowers.
Cucumbers are 90% OK - which is amazing.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9462680

A heads-up again:

The fellows at the weather site I belong to say another round of cold temps from up here will be heading down there next week.

A number of them are mets and all suggest looking at the NOAA site. They are darn good, most of the time, at reading the forecasting models and have often been more on the mark then professional sites re forecasting winter weather and hurricanes.

My province just broke historical record cold temps on Monday and more cold is forecasted to come our way (though we will first be warming up since we just shared with you folks). Sorry. :S

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9463035

Mid April guys.Amarillo is blowin dust north and trees are tippin green. It sounds worse than what is actually hitting us. drthor- these ants do go into survivor mode- the rough winds and chill temps are coupled with sunshine that can NOW give you a sunburn! As well as a bit of wind burn.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9463063

I think we lost 3 or 4 tomatoes. :/
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 26, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9463138

None lost but the zinnia and cosmos are ugly.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 26, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9463236

Don't pull your plants out, just cut the frozen part off. 2 out of 3 of mine came back after a freeze last year or in 2011 (don't remember which). The 3rd didn't but hey, a tomato plant is a tomato plant.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9463306

Thank you for the explanation, drthor. I have wintersowed annuals quite successfully so I can well believe that your tomatoes are quite sturdy.

i

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9463310

You are very welcome.
I will try to take some pictures to show you soon ... tomorrow I will enjoy the "Dallas in Bloom" at the Dallas Arboretum.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9463322

This is the first time ive ever been glad I'm behind. Lol I had a funny feeling that we where going to stay cold later. I just told somebody today that I thought we had at least one more freeze to go.

Carrie-drthor has beautiful tomato plants and great yields but she plants out much earlier then many of us and puts a lot of time and expense into them. She really works hard to get the results she gets. I don't think there is anything I could put over mine that would keep the temps above freezing. We get colder here.

Stephanie- I hope they come back but I'm still sorry.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9463604

I think you meant a lot of: "time, passion and love" ... right ?
Thanks so much for the compliments. I do look forward to see pictures on how your tomato season will be this year starting so late and I wish you the best.

Every year right after I transplanted them outside ... and a front cold comes after a week ... I think: OMG I did plant to soon ... next year I will wait !! a freeze ... aah I will lose all my plants ... and so far all my timing and techniques and "tomato dance" did work, I never lost a plant to the cold weather.
I am the "fearless tomatoes gardener".

Now I am dreaming about trying all of the new varieties of tomatoes I did plant this year ...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9463649

I am sorry that i didnt remind steph to bank the dirt around her maters as well. Sometimes I can read posts but DG wont let me post anything. Steph. dont give up on the maters cuz they look frozen, i cant see,but try waiting and bank the dirt up more on them, esp if you planted deep. protect from winds and give em another week or so before you pull.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9463833

When we planted the tomatoes, we planted them very deep, about 18", so I'm hoping that's helped some with the roots and such. Here are a couple of pics of the damage.

#1 might make it if I baby it. I plan on trimming all the burned leaves and seeing if enough healthy ones remain to make it.

#2 Very little to no damage and blooms!

#3 No damage

#4 Most likely toast

Only time will tell. I hear there's potential for another cold snap next week. :/
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9463872

Step,these all different varieties or all the same?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9463879

I see damages, but I think all will pull thru, ummm, not sure if I would trim yet or not, but the stems look like they are fine on all of em...protect from wind tho...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9464048

Just for the record drthor I'm not "starting so late". Actulally I'm right on time. I've been doing this for 15 yrs and with a job, kids, and living so rural where it gets extra cold I've learned that if I plant too early I have no way of keeping them above freezing. I guess Stephanie started late too? Lol Anyway, don't wait on pictures I don't post them, everybody knows what tomato plants look like.

Our microclimates are so different there is no way to compare. When Carrie brought up Winter Sowing that is usually when people start the seeds out side in milk jugs are something similar not starting under lights, like we do. Just don't want to confuse people into thinking they can put their plants outside, without protection, and they will survive a freeze. But Im not late, at least according to A&M, nobody around me has planted out either.

I just looked at the 10 day forecast and more freezing weather and rain is expected in the middle of next week. This, I have never seen.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9464093

So sorry for your plants stephanietx.
I think you should wait and see what will happen. I did have a Sapho tomato plant that has been decapitated the day after I transplanted it outside ... I mean it was left only 1" of the stem ... it came back !
Good luck !

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9464099

Here are some of my tomatoes after these cold days.
My thermometer outside went down to 35F the lowest.
The plants are very strong and they developed a thick stem.
In the picture #5 you can even see new bright green growth ... so now I can sleep tonight.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9464102

These are cucumber heroes !
A few frost bitten spots on the leaves ... but they are ok.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9464160

Tropic, they are different varieties. The Pantano Romanescos seem to have suffered the most and those are the ones I most wanted to have this year. :/ I still have a couple that I've not given away, so we'll see if I need to replant.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9464453

Looks like everything in my yard pulled through OK except one tomato that took some damage but will probably survive, and the new growth on my lantana isn't looking too good. Whew!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9464480

My seedlings all got damping off disease. Luckily I have more seeds.

I've heard of people who get tomato plants sprouting in their compost. Hardly the fabulous treatment drthor gives, but it augers well for people like me. I may yet be a successful tomato grower. Of course, those plants growing in compost may not actually produce fruit.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9464566

Carrie-what did you use to start your seeds in? Just bc they grow in a compost pile is no reason they shouldn't put on fruit. Except they may not have time. My volunteers come up in late April or May, I prefer to get an earlier start. Lol but the ones I've left have grown and produced.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9464936

Carrie, I've had tomatoes sprout from my compost--not in the compost itself, but in the soil where the compost got spread. They're just from leftover kitchen scraps, no idea what variety they were. One bore little cherry toms a couple of years ago. Another came up in my pavonia bed in the alley, where it got NO care, and grew up to about 4 feet.

And that's why I try to avoid weeds in my compost--I figure they'll do the same thing!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9465252

Hahaha no, it was not I. I heard of it happening to someone else. If it were my tomatoes, that would imply that I was a.successfully growing tomatoes and b.successfully composting. Both of which were hard with our short, cold season. I think composting out here would be much easier.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9466585

Tanks Step,weatherman says hard freeze Monday thru wednesday,lows down to 27*,so here we go again!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9466646

Still we go again. lovely Ok rain tho
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

March 30, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9466720

It's raining in louisiana to. The freeze burned my colocasia back and killed my wisterias flowers. I hope the colocasias come back. I don't think you could kill the wisteria with a nuke. My Amsonia ludoviciana is made of sturner stuff. It didn't even faze it.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9466750

Believe it or not, but I did know a lady that could kill every wisteria she planted. I think they hated her and she loved em so much. chuckl
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

March 30, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9467109

LOL!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9467243

My Wisteria is just starting to get leaves, it seems so late...supposed to get cold again next week. But it was beautiful today.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

March 30, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9467244

I'm up heare in north west arkansas and last week they really got hammered by a 23 degree freeze.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 30, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9467281

wisteria doesn't like to be overwatered I think. I killed my 15 ft tall one. It had yellow leaves in june 2008, first year it bloomed, so I soaked it good. All the leaves fell off 10 days later. A big storm moved it for me in Feb 2009, along with the pergola it had grown through and around.

Doesn't look like it will freeze here.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 12:01 AM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9467446

Wisteria grows really well in Padova, Italy where I grew up.
The one by the castle wall must been so old ...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9467467

My neighbor has one in her front yard. One year, her husband cut it down and I thought she was going to cry! They never tend it and it blooms faithfully every year.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9467661

I don't do anything to this Wisteria. It is on it's own. It's just funny how the cool weather this late in the season, has pushed everything back.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9467840

Having a hard time trying to decipher who may be right...weather forecaster or Mother Nature? All my long life I have told that the Pecan Tree doesn't bud until AFTER THE LAST FREEZE. Well, all 6 of mine are covered in buds. Haven't opened up the greenhouse yet as the weather forecast is not all that good for this coming week. Comments?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9468061

Hmmm, what I always heard was winter was over until the sage was blooming
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9468065

I've always been told winter is over when we have our last cold front. Lol
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 31, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9468121

I'm afraid my chinaberry tree may not bloom this year. It was budding out when the freeze hit. Waiting and watching, that's where most of my honey comes from I think

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9468256

What can you put in to give them flowers if it doesnt bloom? Had heard on the news the almond crop is goin to suffer since enough bees cant be found this year
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 1, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9468493

Nothing I can do to make the tree bloom. it will or it won't and I planted like crazy, wildflowers, other flowering bushes, etc.

The almond growers are trying to drive up the price, enough bees were found, they did have to pay more, but part of that is beekeepers have been taking the losses and low pollination fees for years, and gas is higher than ever to get the bees there.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9468584

I just remember 1 spring in Minneapolis a couple bee trucks got caught in an accident and couldnt get the trux off the road because ppl refused 2 let them past - then it got hot and 2? People died before the fire trux arrived. there are some really non thinking folks they give drivers licenses to...hope you find something blooming in time. Am sitting in Vidalia, Ga with everything bloomin. Think I am goin to drown very shortly. sneeze.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9468707

The Rue I grow for Swallowtail Butterflies has been blooming for 2 weeks. Just came inside and the plant is covered with honey bees. They are buzzing the poppies and Lady Banksia roses as well. Last year a colony settled on a Magnolia branch and we had to call a bee keeper to retrieve them. Made me want to learn how myself. He said the original colony is probably still in someone's attic.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

April 1, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9468729

The freezes didn't hurt my trilium graclie. I was working in my garden once when a swarm of bees passed all aound me. It was a unique experiance.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9468986

I always thought mesquites trees budding were a sign winter was over. That's definitely NOT an accurate statement.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

April 1, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9469038

My grandma always said it was pecans that were the last thing to put out but times have changes.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9469082

My step-father always used to bring the most fabulous pecans home (up in Boston) from trips to Louisiana (where he was from). Where's a good local place to get pecans, folks?
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

April 1, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9469109

I'll ask around

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9469148

What kind of pecans? And they dont fall til Fall anyway. Papershell? Birdseyes? I like the old Burketts - but, there are a lot of good grafts.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9469159

We watch the big old trees, pecans and mesquites both. The little trees get it wrong sometimes, but the great big ones seem to be more reliable. Neither has leafed out here yet.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

April 1, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9469160

I like Candy and Posednick
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

April 1, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9469223

Here is a pic of the the Mullberry River valley in the Boston mountains of AR. It is still winter there. I also like the little native pecans. They make the best pies but are apain to pick out.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9469264

Yup! The little birdseye natives- best flavor- labor intensive. perfect work for rainey days stuck indoors, they keep in the freezer shell and all til hulled as well.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

April 1, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9469292

They are nice and oiley.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9469720

Freezing drizzle all night long and into the early morning hours,just now above freezing at 33*.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9469751

Don, your son should have warned you about Amarillo, coldest, hottest place in Texas and from there it gets worse.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9469783

Can it really get any worse????!!!!LOL
Said might get 3 to 5 inches snow tomorrow!
70* on Thursday 81* on Friday 83* Saturday!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9469811

Only if it actually happens. Snow is warm, and will prob melt as fast as it happens up there. Now - raining mud? That can get awful
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9469882

I heard it will be around 70* in Montana today and rest of the week and 30* here,make you wonder how that could be!!!LOL

Hope you don't live close to a cliff,already been enough sink holes and mudslides this spring already!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9470152

Keeps you on your toes, Don. I always loved your pictures and your stories from Kansas. I'm embarrassed to ask, but I will, are you alone these days? I hope not.

The difference in Texas and Kansas is that Kansas gets cold and stays that way for a good long spell. Texas, well...that's another story. The plants never actually go dormant because the next day it could be all out summer.

Christi
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9470536

No,my wife is still here with me,although her Alzheimer has gotten considerably worse,and our home although brand new,is about 1/3 the size of my home in Wichita,makes it easier for her to get around,she spends most of the day hand sewing,or playing solitaire on the computer,her memory is less than 5 minutes at best.
What gets me is the wind,there is hardly any trees here to block the wind,living on a plateau 20 mph almost all the time,I've been planting trees left and right here,and the dew point is very low and no humidity at all to speak of,it can be 100* outside while I'm working,and I never break a sweat at all,that I do like,after 44 yrs welding sweating all the time all day long,and now never sweating is just fine with me.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013

Post #9470572

All the trees will lean one way. Nowhere to give them a wall of any kind? Other bldgs used to be built to shield each other. Hmmm. Bushland must be on that eastrrn side of the panhandle where the winds seem driven year round.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9470860

no west side,90 miles from New Mexico,and yes the trees lean to the north east,if you want straight trees you must stake for years!!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9470869

Ahhh. kinda flat out there for sure.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9470871

Well not exactly,there are canyons couple blocks west and north of me,Mesquite everywhere and Spanish daggers,by the tons,there putting windmills around the area,must be T-Bone Pickens country!!!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9470934

So it turned from feedlots, cadillac ranch to windfarm growing. ok. i am looking up Bushland.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9470952

Ok. theres one problem. You are actually only 60m from Nuevo Mexico. Not too small a place- though my Atlas failed me and google search shows me a school stadium as the only green for miles. Inch is as good as a mile...cept on our maps
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9471007

Well there are 3 schools,new high school middle and grade school,post office,toot and carry gas station Italian restaurant,Mercantile and a few houses in town,I live outside the town,no mail delivery.Since I have only been a few months not sure where Nuevo NM even is,will have to look it up!Right now grilling some Beer Brauts outside,but I will get to it shortly!!LOL

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9471085

Chuckl, i apologize. nuevo means new. New Mexico. Nuevo Mexico.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9471108

I can't believe this but the forecast for next Wed. is 39* in the AM I can't see Thursday. I'm going to sow some bean and radish seeds. Since we get colder then the forecast we could see another freeze. I thought this was our last one. Never dreamed it might get cold AGAIN. A lot of veggies just don't like it that cold. After what happened to Stephanie's plants I'm not willing to take a chance. Have to wait on the tropicals...
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9471115

Man, we had a real rain storm last evening. So much thunder for over an hour and then the wind and driving rain. I think I heard a few pellets of hail at one point. We got a really good rain from it. Today it's really cool, below 60 all day.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9471134

It was 53 here and cloudy.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9471151

Don, glad that your spouse is still with you. You are such a good person. Whatever made your son to move to such a God-Forsaken place? Even native Texan's keep away from such. cold and dreary here tonight as well and I live in a suburb of Dallas. Our climate leaves a lot to be desired but we DO HAVE TREES.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9471642

Challenge,I love a good one!!!!Excitement,being this is my first spring here,I'm just now planting my gardens,I bought all dwarf fruit trees,just because of the wind,all my bulbs came in the mail today so I'll be planting today ,about 50 or so lily's,the oriental fragrant types,a few of them will be dwarfs as well,well gotta see the doctor today diabetes is starting to get the best of me,might be getting a insulin pump these 6 shots a day driving me insane!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 4, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9471736

Now as for me I do love the open country but the wind just drives me nuts I lived in northern Nevada until retirement and BTW I have been to Bushland and of course go by there on I-40 a lot
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9471787

Didn't see much huh?
Yes the wind drives me nut also,putting up wind barriers just so I can plant tomatoes!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9472096

Oh dear. Didn't realize diabetes was in the mix, Don. Have a 36 yr old niece that was diagnosed with Type 1 at 5 years old. The years following were a pure nightmare. Nov. 2010 she had a double transplant of kidney/pancreas. For the first time she can remember she is not diabetic. Not to say all is easy...a washtub of meds to keep down the rejection. Just to say, I know of the problems you face everyday and I am sorry. Lost most of her sight and of course, the kidneys failed.

My prayers have been with you and your wife for a long time, will step them up quite a bit as I wasn't aware of the diabetes complication. Hope your new experience with your garden will be positive.

Still have your parrots?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9472470

Thank you Christi,and yes still have my parrots,they love the new greenhouse,no matter what the weather might be outside they get to walk on the bamboo walk hanging in the greenhouse,allowing them freedom from there cages,down side is when I'm working out there I have to remember to keep a open eye when there straight above me,there practical jokers,I can almost here them say BOMBS away!!!LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9473783

Just have to add that we got down to 32* and a little below on Friday morning. The forcast was in the 40s but when drove my son to school the temp. in the truck read "ice". I'm glad I didn't plant anything in my lower garden bc I wasn't expecting this.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9474087

I just checked Liberty Hill, TX on the weather.com to understand your weather and I was surprised that in the next 10 days forecast your weather is so much warmer than mine in Dallas.
Is there another Liberty Hill city in Texas?
The one I mapped is by Georgetown, TX.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
11:10 PM

Post #9474293

That's the same one. Was it a really small dot? The 10 day forecast I just looked at has Wed or Thurs. morning in the 30s. This last Friday the forecast low was in the 40s but when the clouds cleared out it went below freezing. Also, I'm very rural so it's colder then "in town" but it was 36 on the hwy Friday morning. I didn't even know LH had a weather station I just know how much colder we will be then Austin or some of the other areas.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9474447

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Liberty+Hill+TX+USTX0764:1:US
I guess the weather website is wrong. It says that today you will be at 81F ... Tuesday at 89F and cooler a couple of days later with mid 40s but mid 70s during the day , so it will just for a few hours ... oh well .. i am just trying to understand zones ...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9474530

Did you check the National Weather Service's site?? http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=30.6649119&lon=-97.9225161&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Liberty%20Hill%2C%20TX%2C%20USA
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 7, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9474540

weather.com isn't nearly as accurate as the one that Stephanie listed. they just have more commercial sponsors.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9474629

She has desert weather, cold at night, scorch in the daylite. From that alkaline caliche caprock across there, grows good cedars... some of that area is still stressed heavily from the drought and fires a year or so ago...colors are muted, trees are slowly leafing beside other trees that are in full leaf green...south of San Antonio was greener than there.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9474684

This year has been much cooler .
Here is a picture to explain "how much cooler".
At the beginning of April I always groom my kitties. They all have long fur and when the heat starts at the end of March the house is a fur ball !!
That is when I shaved the kitties, they all love to be without all of that fur.
This year my kitties are so cold ! They all want to come under the covers at night (which they never have done before) ... I put out a few blanket for them ... and here my little Torchy ... the poor baby is so cold ...

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9475751

get your frost covers out again Northern Texas...we just let a whole bunch of cold go (should get down there tomorrow??? or today???.

Hate to see you lose any of your lovely tropical plants Tropicman!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9475942

Well everything still in the GH,but the new trees I just planted will get there leaves and flowers burnt for the 3rd time,I hope it doesn't kill them,jane magnolias and weeping cherry trees,everytime they start to flower a hard freeze comes,would you please ask ole man winter to stop???LOL
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9476172

BBrrrrr..glad I am not getting any freezing weather...Ya'll stay warm now..
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9476223

I use accuweather.com for the most part, I find accurate enough for me. Nobody predicted a freeze on Friday but my the thermometer in my truck said "ice" I can't argue with that. Sometimes my lower garden will freeze but my upper garden won't, simply due to location.

Drthor, it mite be only for a few hours but if those few hours are under 32 that's all it takes, and many plants just sit there if the temps are too low. I thought it mite freeze Friday morning just bc of the conditions but it wasn't predicted. I don't know if it's a matter of zones as much as microclimates. I don't like to plant out tomatoes until the next week's forecast is 45 or above for the lows, and 55 or above for peppers and Eggplant. I've never seen cold fronts rolling in every week at this time of

I'm hoping the seeds I direct sowed sprout bc the temps aren't where they should be. The forecast changes every couple of hrs. Lol

Drthor, your cat is beautiful but can you let us know how Big Mamma is doing with this crazy weather?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9476248

Great link Stephanie, I didn't realize it went straight to LH. Thank goodness I don't see 89 forecast for tomorrow, 80 sounds good to me. Looking at that map I'm actually 5 miles North of Highway 29 by the junction of 2 rivers so that keeps it colder here too.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9476251

Tropicman send some heat up this-a-way and I guarantee those pesky cold fronts won't be so cold.

You see I still have about 2+ feet of snow in my backyard (about 10" worth of moisture in total re the ice + *compacted* snow).

There is still 8 feet of snow in the hills below our farm.

IIf you folks want to be safe from frost first you or California :o) will have to send some warmth up here (not too much though).

By now we normally are sitting in our average range of 50 to 60F (sometimes in the 70's+)

This morning's temps here were +3 (heading your way)

I'm sure you are ever so thankful they will moderate on their journey down there! ;o)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9476400

Thanks for asking.
Big Mamma came out of hibernation on March 16th ... but now she is hiding some place.
She did realize that the tomatoes are not growing very much ... so no Tomato Horn Worm for her any time soon.
Poor Bug Mama !
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9476468

Maybe she's tired of this crazy weather and went back into hibernation...
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 9, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9477282

Who is Big Mama? And yes, this weather is unusual. I shouldn't freeze this week but I will be covering some tender plants, and I guess the tomatoes will stay in the greenhouse. Hopefully it won't be hard enough to hurt all the bulbs I put in Sunday

I could get a mild frost, but noaa for the microclimate known as Crowley Texas says 34 for a low Wednesday night - we average 4 degrees below DFW nighttime lows if it is actually cold, DFW is forecast for about 38,. crossing my fingers, covering a few things.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9477346

Here is Big Mama coming out from hibernation one month ago.
Big Mama is my DH's pet and she became a celebrity on DG after this video last year:
http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/drthor1/media/2012_July_27_025.mp4.html
She loooooves Tomato Hornworms and she doesn't like to share !!

Let's keep finger crossed for this week weather ...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9477629

Gypsi, it's supposed to freeze tomorrow night after some lovely spring storms. You might want to cover your tender stuff.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9477680

37 here already,saying will dip down to 18* tonite
winds about 45 mph blowing tumble weeds back south where they came from!!!LOL
Lilpon,shut the door!!!!
Planted sweet corn,Spanish peanuts,and big mammoth sunflowers,yesterday,takes couple weeks before germination so I should be safe I hope!
While I was waiting on the wife's permanent,I went next door to the all natural food store,saw some uncured bacon,hadn't had any in many years ,bought a pound,when I got home fried some and had my first BLT of the year,well it was sooo goood I had to sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9477707

Nothing beats a fresh home-cooked BLT!!! :-)

Carla
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9477738

I just uncovered everything. Poop!

I love Big Mamma! Can you bring her in the house if it gets too cold? I wonder if horned worms can be shipped I don't usually have many and my birds love them but I think she would like them more. Besides with a shell who can tell if she's putting on a few oz...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9477809

yes, right now I need to log off.
I need to help my DH to take indoor more than 60 pets ... I think Big Mama will be ok.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9478770

That cold front must be on top of you now Tropicman (I know some here will rejoice since it will also cause rain ;o).

We were still very cool this am but we are now heading up to 32F so all is being ejected your way.

Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 10, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9478852

Well I brought in the strawberry plants I potted for lack of cleared ground, stuck them in the greenhouse, and a few other cuttings delicates. The surplus straw and alfalfa from the goat pen were liberally applied over my tropical lily and gladiolus bulbs, that should take care of them. And my clematis vines I'd just put out. I'll put a blanket over my more tender babies here soon. All live stock have adequate straw and cover, dogs are saying , oh yeah, bone on rug day and camping out in the house mostly. It is 39 here.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9478913

35* here got down to 21* this morning wind chill 0*

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9478928

Ok. cold front hit here just. abt 41* and a very few drips of rain...

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9478961

Saw one fellow report the CAP is alive and well in Texas...they also call it a cockroach ridge.

"85 yesterday, 45 this morning, 35 tonight.

Thanks to my dear friend the CAP, what should have been a decent rain producer wasn't.

At least I got .36 out of it.

They are expecting 3-5" in the Ark-La-Miss area from this same system. I wish that would happen to us."
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 10, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9478982

I'd like to have gotten an inch, but I think it was more like half an inch.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 10, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9479366

Don't know how much we got but it was a lot of cold--cold rain with a lot of T&L I saw that 21 out in the panhandle and knew it was headed my way ,too much stuff to cover other than the tomatoes so just suck it up and hope for the best was 39 here the last time I looked so maybe with the remaining clouds it wont get too much colder
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 10, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9479379

Actually the new forecast low for Crowley for tonight has gone up to 40, so all my frantic covering may not have been necessary. Our clouds hung around, and it does seem to have warmed up a bit outside.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9479399

I dragged my whole cacti/agave collection under protection since they were predicting big hail last night, and we got barely any rain or lightning. Better safe than sorry I guess.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9479472

It stormed last nite. The have clouds cleared and the wind has stopped, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't freeze or get close to it. I did cover what I have planted. Is the cold front forecast for next week? Lol

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9479473

Dawn will hold the coldest temp before tomorro warms up. Watching the weather around the roads heading to Colo after tomorrow. I have the 511 weather sites that show the roads and cameras for the states, there are weather cams as well as road data for those who drive as online data.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 11, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9479690

temp said 35 so should be okay other than some low spots would have been okay but the rain yesterday was so cold it surely cooled the ground by a lotwhen it gets a little bit warmer I will go check..

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9479718

Yes, this up and down is ridiculous, I hope we can get on a more steady course.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9479726

42F right now
I am looking down from the 2nd floor of my house to my veggie garden.
I didn't cover anything ,,, but everything look good from far away !
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 11, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9479778

Got to around 38 or 39 here I think. But I'm glad I covered everything. I have a lot invested this year. (last couple of years the front flower bed looked like a bermuda grass patch a foot deep with a few flowers at one end and oregano at the other)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9480092

I finally had the courage to check the garden.
Everything is ok: tomatoes are setting fruits, eggplants and peppers have a few yellow spots on their leaves from the wind, cucumbers and squash are alive. beans are alive with a few damaged leaves.
Gypsi I think my vegetables are very strong because I started them a while ago. So they are older plants.

My kitties are the only one that went under cover last night. I keep finding the little brown Persian inside my bed ... they are so cute.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9480103

These are the CUCUMBERS HEROE varieties:
CORINTO and THRIUMP F1 I bought from Johnny's.
They are both parthenocarpic variety, which they are my favorite because they perform so good in the TX heat of our summer.
Since they don't need pollination it seems that they don't get stressed by the heat ... just my humble opinion.
Now I found out that they are COLD resistant ! They have both been outside since March 15th, with no protection.
These partenocarphic seeds are more expensive, but they produce a lot and they are resistant to heat and diseases.
Judge yourself in these pictures. Corinto is the one with the little cucumber already ... by the way this cucumber grew 1/2" from yesterday.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9480134

I took the covers off my tomatoes and they look awesome!! I was afraid that the moisture would freeze on the leaves, but it didn't.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9480158

That's great !

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9480162

Gorgeous, drthor! now I wish I had started cucumbers.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 11, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9480167

My tomatoes are waiting for me to finish my year end taxes and plant them in the garden, so they are still in the greenhouse. But I didn't get seed started til around April 1st and they are doing well for the late start. All heirloom varieties of tomatoes and green pepper are up and growing and need to go outside. Just busy...

I have cucumber seeds to start, and summer squash and zucchini, but that time thing is hitting me again. Not even in the greenhouse, still in seed packages.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2013 11:56 AM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9480651

It is supposed to be 40 in Austin tonight so it will be around freezing here Fri. Morning. I still have everything covered, what little I have planted out. Another cold front is predicted for next week same days same temps. I just can't see a reason to plant my stuff in the garden and risk loosing it or having to cover 50 instead of 4 plants. I did sow cuke and squash seed but they took a lot longer to germinate. If this round gets frozen I'll try again.

Gypsi-I don't think it's you and the time thing it's this crazy weather. I still have peppers to pot up but I want to plant in the garden but this weather won't let me. My tomatoes would much rather be at 70* then 38*.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9480825

Look out coldfront coming again Wednesday morning next week,hard freeze predicted here in the panhandle!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 11, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9480845

Not looking to freeze here next week, I need to get stuff in the ground, but not ready yet anyway...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9480848

Are you sure? In my post right before tropicman I mentioned the forecast for the middle of next week. They are saying 39 for the town close to here so that means colder here. I think it's coming from your direction.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 11, 2013
11:10 PM

Post #9480899

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Crowley&state=TX&site=FWD&lat=32.5773&lon=-97.3581

My forecast for next week. I'll drop into the 40's one night, but I don't think we'll see a freeze. You may be in high desert, but I'm a little further east and have concrete canyons.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
11:54 PM

Post #9480915

I'm not really sure if I'm high desert but I'm at the base of the Hill Country, and very rural. I just never know I didn't expect a freeze last Friday but it got down below 32. When the temps keep going down like this my plants just sit there. I thought it was going to freeze tonite but now I kind of doubt it. I hate to plant everything and then not be able to cover it all. Or not know to cover it. This is a very strange spring.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9481026

Very Strange Spring indeed Lisa!!!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Oh my goodness Drthor, you love cats too? Well that makes you just about perfect in my opinion. I love cats so much, I have a siamese female and she is the sweetest.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 12, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9481044

frost here this morning but I got all covered I wish I could say this is the last frost for us but it's not going to be the last last spring we had a frost of May 5 just before one of the hottest summer in decades
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9481137

Weird spring indeed,one day record high of 90* next day record low 19*.I have tomatoes peppers squash started from seed already blooming in the greenhouse,waiting to put in the ground,strawberry's in ground has had leaves burnt 3 times,and they look like there coming back this time,potatoes refuse to come up,but on a good note onions are thriving!!!
Radishes and lettuce have refused coming up also,and these are cool season crops!L planted a new lawn 4 weeks ago and just now starting to see a little green.There still calling for hard freeze next Tuesday,Wednesday,now some are saying Thursday possible too,Tulips and daffys standing back up from last freeze but the edges of the flowers are burnt and probably will not open now.Pumpkins in the greenhouse also staring to vine now,and really need to get in the ground as well.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9481141

Tropicman
I just mapped your city and understand why you are so behind now.
It is amazing that we have so many growing zones in TX.
My Daffodils are almost all gone and now irises and soon daylily will start to bloom.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9481188

Yep your a good month ahead of me and maybe a good 2 zones warmer than me and and about 5 hour drive away maybe closer to 6 hours probably,my irises and daylillies are up and growing but a long ways from blooming,but then again these are all new flower beds and plants,so I expect things might be earlier next year.Heading out to plant my red velvet and lemon queen sunflowers and large dahlia seeds
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9486743

I just checked the long range forecast and next week there is supposed to be ANOTHER cold front same days same temps. This is unbelievable. I don't see any temps much above 80 for the rest of the month. I'm not complaining about the cooler temps but having a cold front every week for weeks seems weird.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2013
11:32 PM

Post #9486773

send Saskatchewan some heat!!!!!

Please!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2013
11:38 PM

Post #9486774

One chart shows below normal temps for the next 45 days ... either send some heat or we will be gifting poor Tropicman with frost for a long time to come.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9487354

Just got back in from covering again!!!!
Cold and drizzle at the moment,saying tomorrow night down to 22*,tonite only 30* Spring bulbs are all coming into bloom some already open others just about to open,one week its el nino,next week its La nina,I think mother nature has dementia!!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9487524

Tropicman- your last statement made me lol. Mother Nature has dementia or many personalities. The local news predicts 34* for Friday AM at the airport. So it could actually freeze here again. I guess I could sow seeds maybe I'll get more tomato plants planted this weekend but I don't want to put them out when it's going to be that cold, but they need to go in the ground.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9487536

Lisas,I have pumpkin plants 2 feet long,still growing in a milk jug ready to plant out,and also yellow squash already 4 inches long and growing in milk jug as well,just wish mother nature would work with me here!!!LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9487820

Drthor, I am totally in agreement. I didn't know there was such a broad range of temps in TX.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9487989

There aren't usually this amount of temp. variation in Tx especially this late in the season and this often. This is happening every week. I could plant out but I don't see any reason to have to cover more stuff up and the cooler temps make things grow so slow and germinate so slow. This year is very unusual.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9489060

I've decided not to do anything to protect my plants tonight. I just don't have it in me.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9489086

I covered the stuff in the garden and 100 starts I have on the back porch. They are being hardened off, there are still some tomato starts in the GH, most of them are dwarfs and they will go out on Sat. Since it's supposed to be even colder tomorrow nite. Then there are the peppers and eggplant.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 18, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9489123

I covered my delicate flowers. Low here tonight, 37, tomorrow night, 39.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9489423

The only things covered here are my kitties ... they are so cold ...
the rest of the rest of the garden is just fine ... apart from some of my tallest irises down to the ground ...

43 F the lowest last night

This message was edited Apr 19, 2013 7:53 AM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9489961

Now they are saying it's supposed to be colder tonight. Austin is supposed to break the record set in 1950 something, by 11*.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9490293

Cuties drthor!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 20, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9490438

The nearest RAWS says it is 45 if so I have dodged another ice bullet will see after daylight Spring COME ON DOWN
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 20, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9490445

Raws lied to me there is ICE on top of the car all of my maters are covered and not much else is up other than some bulb plants and I don't think it will hurt them

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9490541

Did the ice show up at ground lvl or just on top of the car- I have seen it do that
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9493457

another freeze tonite and tomorrow.don't know if my new planted trees can take it or not,3 times they have leafed and and got fried,we have broke high and low records here in the past week,not since the 20's these records have not been broken,looks like tonite it will happen again,it is 89* now and falling to 30* tonite and 26* tomorrow night.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 22, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9493782

I spray my fruit trees with water in the evening before a sudden freeze, it seems to help insulate fruit that is forming (apricots and peaches) With high wind, wrapping hem is really hard but I have done that too, with a sheet and some bunji cords. (sp)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9494159

Xcept for the winds. Fl uses tall sprayers to keep ice of- I havent seen smudge pots used in a coons age... the smoke kept the frost down and protected new buds.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9494294

Back in the day worked in the orchard business,we burnt barrels of oil and rubber tires in the rows to keep the flowers from being burnt by frost,but no more than the number I have 12 fruit trees,flowers were already nipped but the leaves where appearing now,I chose not to cover and we had a little freezing rain this morning with temps down to 28*,sub-stain wind of 44mph for more than 3 hours,very brutal spring flowers looked like somebody poured ice water on them.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9494963

Don, I'm so sorry that Texas has not been very welcoming. This has been an exceptional Spring...not our usual.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9495101

I'm really getting tired of this cold snap every other week! Where is our nice spring weather??
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9495148

tanks tomorrow will be better,we also set a low for the high today,we are breaking records up here that haven't been broken in over 100 years,well glad to get that over with and get back to the norms!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9495154

We getting cold fronts every week. I thought this one was supposed to hit tomorrow. The news said it was 81 so I went to get my son from school and the thermometer said 61, boy was I surprised. I did plant some tomato plants but Im not direct sowing anymore seeds, they take too long to germinate.

I'm tired of the cold but it does mean one less day of heat. It stayed hot wayyyyy into fall last year so I guess it's staying cooler longer too.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9495331

21* here this morning,suppose to get to 60* today,I guess if the temps can fall almost 70* they surely can rise 40*

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9495366

38 here, I hate the cold, but what can we do?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9495377

Well I've waited long enough and will plant this weekend,my plants are out growing there containers,I'm betting that the transplant shock will be great,considering the size they are now,and may not even recover.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9495394

It's currently 39 at my house and my tomatoes sat outside uncovered last night. My husband did cover the grapes and brought in the plant I got at the RU on Sunday as well as a couple other sensitive plants. I'm really getting tired of this!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 24, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9495450

I stuffed my RU plants in the greenhouse last nigh, will pull them out in a few minutes, it gets too warm in there.
I'm tired of it, but awfully glad I didn't put more plants in the ground a month ago,when I usually would.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9495502

I guess this cold again hot again could go into mid May- especially if our times keep getting twisted toward later months. Has anyone tracked the day lengths yet? The cold doesnt feel as bitter now as it did at these temps last fall/winter.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2013

Post #9495526

Well lets hope not!!!LOL
Already went from 21 to 36*,hmm look funny outside gardening in a parka!!!LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9496243

When I was planting last night my hands were numb from the cold, water and wind,

The extended forecast doesn't show any temps much above 80, which is enjoyable but strange.

Kitt, what do want to know about day lengths? I can look it up at a number of different spots.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9496666

Day lengths matter in plant growth, they will accelerate growth sometimes, slow other times. Stopped at the house yesterday and noticed that cold or no cold the plants are lovin the weather-wish i could have stayed longer. didnt edit that shot- sorry
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9497416

I'm usually completely done planting out by now and my established plants are further a long, so the day length isn't the issue. They days are same length they always are at this time of year, the only difference is the temp.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9498287

Are they really? IF we have changed zones a bit AND the earth twisted 3* are the day lengths the same?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9498938

look out accurite and weather ground weather forecast possible freeze May 1 and 2 next week
ushland Weather at a Glance
Weather Station
Amarillo (KAMA)
Elevation
3606 ft
Station Select
Now
Clear
Clear
Temperature
67 F
Feels Like 67 F
Wind(mph)
Sunrise / Set
7:01 AM
8:30 PM
Moon
Waning Gibbous
More Astronomy
Today
Partly Cloudy 77 F
Partly Cloudy
Tonight
Partly Cloudy 50 F
Partly Cloudy
Tomorrow
Partly Cloudy 81 | 52 F
Partly Cloudy
Monday
Partly Cloudy 84 | 52 F
Partly Cloudy
Tuesday
Clear 86 | 48 F
Clear
Wednesday
Partly Cloudy 63 | 28 F
Partly
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9498980

Does that take into account the shift of the Earths rotation? Lol
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9499026

Wow, it's supposed to be in the 30s here Thursday morning. Sooo strange.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9499166

Ok. in the fall., 36* is bitter cold. 36* in April is shirt sleeve weather and yes freezes into May as far south as Texas MAY be due to rotation shifts.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9499272

By the end of May it will be triple digits until next November...and no rain.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9499383

I pretty much think 36 is cold. I was gardening last week when a front came in earlier then I expected my hands were so cold by the time I got done I could hardly move them.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9500215

Chuckl, i understand. 82* in Dallas and I could use another cold front.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 28, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9500657

86 here tomorrow. I have been enjoying not turning the a/c on... not gonna last.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9501381

It supposed to cool down at the end of the week,again. It is thundering from all directions I sure hope we get some rain!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 29, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9501950

cold front coming. We might get 1/4 inch of rain out of it. I'm moving as many greenhouse veggies as possible out onto the surface of a pond. Did a flat of roma tomatoes today. I am tired of fighting drought.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2013
9:00 PM

Post #9502068

It rained all around us but we didn't get one drop.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 29, 2013
9:55 PM

Post #9502104

I know Lisa. I'm in a pocket that has extreme drought surrounded by areas of moderate drought... Just seemed to miss the rain
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 30, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9502275

It was 88 here yesterday with a forecasted low of 36 for Thursday night the YO-YO weather is driving me up the wall
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9503247

Same here grits, 80 something today but the lows for Thursday and Friday are 40. I would love the temps if I wasn't trying to grow stuff.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9503651

May 10th should tickle your funny bones again!

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9504903

I just checked the long term forecast and while there is no major warming I didn't see another drastic drop either.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

May 1, 2013
10:44 PM

Post #9504947

That one they may have seen more than what may show up (they really look far out and while it is lala land quite often they are right)...it isn't in my forecast either (re cold front) so earlier I asked a met about that. His reply:

"upper low in the Missouri region of the US moving slowly southeast and then a brief shot of cooler air moving down mostly in the 5th-8th period."

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9505385

Horrible snowfall totals up north too! So hope the plants up there can survive. The Monarchs will need them!

I think someone needs to end this thread and maybe we can move on to SPRING!! LOL!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9506151

When the forecast has no lows in the 30s I will do that! Spring? It's almost summer lol but high 30s tonight. It's supposed to be 68 on May 11th.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9506174

It was 89 degrees F here Wednesday afternoon (which felt hot.) In the wee hours of Friday morning, this part of Texas is under a freeze alert! I covered up what is practical to cover, the trees will have to just tough it out though (grow new leaves) (again!) : ( Hope the hummers found a place out of the cold wind. (Where do they go to stay warm when these cold fronts come though, anyway?)

We didn't get rain here either, just a sprinkle. Our weeds are dying of thirst.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9506619

26* here this morning,to early to see the damage yet,no frost,just windy and cold,good news already up to 48* at 10 am.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9506804

I surely hope this is last one, this is ridiculous.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 3, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9506832

Last night my wife asked me where the hummers go to get out of the cold wind and I told her they went into torpor and she wanted to know what county that was in .Was 37 here with a cold rain falling the soil temps which had been warming has now plummeted today it is just 50 with a cold nasty wind blowing
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9506866

Yep, ridiculous describes it. But it has warmed up real nice like you say.

LOL Grits! I hope you explained it to her. The question is, where do they shelter while in the torpor state, in trees with big branches maybe??? The male came to the feeder on the back porch a few minutes ago so I know they are okay. Glad it wasn't me spending the night in that "cold nasty wind"! Isn't it funny how they can make a loud hum went they want to, or be silent. I have had a hummer come right up behind me when I was at the bee hive changing their feeder, and I didn't even know he was there till he started fussing/squeaking. Bold little things!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9506963

still calling for mid 30's next 2 nights,with daytime temps mid 60's
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9507391

From what I can see it's supposed to get cooler on the 11th, but not this cold. It was 41 this morning.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 4, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9508386

tonight they fed untill after it was pretty dark We have a feeder hanging on the back porch and there is a light that stays on all of the time ..It was so cold all day I guess they just wanted to stock up

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America