possible freeze

Arlington, TX

What are the odds of a real freeze tonight and Monday night? I have some gomphrena, zinnia and cosmos set out in the beds. Should I cover them?
Cheryl

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

I covered up my vegetables today, and a few miscellaneous things throughout the yard. Forecast is for freezing temperatures tonight and tomorrow night. :(

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm 225 miles south & I'm covering my babies. But, of course, I watered everything first!!!
Crazy Texas weather but where else would we live? lol
:~)

Arlington, TX

I am not worried about the perennials but I do wonder how the annuals will do. They are sort of spread out so they might just have to take their chances. I hope it stays a little above 32 tonight. Oddly its usually just a little warmer at my place than what is forcast. Of course that doesn't mean I will luck out tonight or tomorrow night.
C

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

At a weather site that I belong to (where there are a lot of mets) news really doesn't look good for Arlington. I'd get the frost cloths out just in case.

My province has a lot of snow (historical record breaking in fact) so we are sharing our cold very well this year.

A Houstonian posted this at a weather site I belong to (they like to watch my winter weather): "Spring? What's that? :cold: We won't be out of the 50's today with N winds gusting to 36mph. Feels like temp is 52f. Low this morning was 47f, with a low of 35f expected tomorrow and the next day. THIS IS NOT SPRING!!!!"

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Another Texan just posted this re Arlington: "Yeah unless they live in the urban cores of two big cities (32-33), it's likely to be 32 or below. Tomorrow night everyone will probably be 32 or lower since there won't be any wind. (Austin metro area same scenario)"

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Indy- abt an hour after 'Virgil' arrived. Indiana may have been a desert last year, but may turm rather soggy this year..

Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

I pulled pots back to the greenhouse, and some bogs back into the greenhouse, and covered the annuals I had set out. In the veggie garden I only have onions, swiss chard, spinach and asparagus. I ate the asparagus, everything else can handle 31. My veggie garden is mainly in 4 inch pots in the greenhouse with a heating mat under them, I expect they will be fine, especially when I put the heat lamp on the chicks.

When Arlington doesn't freeze, I usually freeze, sometimes the only frozen spot in the metroplex seems to be my house. so when I set my annuals and greenhoused perennials out I put them all together, and they are all tucked in for the night.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

anything is possible - I am betting it will
freeze even if only foe a few hours.

We re up to our eyebrows with plants
inside the house, but I don't dare send
the outside till after Easter !

W had hail the size of jey limes here
Saturday am at 8:30 am.

As they say, febrero loco, marzo oto poco,
and it IS loco around here right now !
as usual for March

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I put 5 gal buckets over my tomato transplants. Hope that will keep them safe. Tomorrow, if it's going to be much colder, I might have to put some Christmas lights under the buckets for them. I'm not worried about the spinach, onions, cilantro, or garlic.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Arlington, TX

I didnt cover a thing. I have about 2 dozen annuals planted and some newly plants cacti and perennials. I hope they are ok but I will know for sure soon enough.
C

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've been telling my family-in-Boston how great spring is in Texas! It's still colder back east. More snow tonight or tomorrow. We bought patio chairs....can I lie in the sun, soon?

Arlington, TX

I go out all the time Carrie, being from MI, 40's feel pretty good in Feb.
C

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

"Here's a good link to check temps across the U.S. Just click one of the sections with the 3-letter identifier and the map will show temps in red. Numbers in green are dew point temps. Upper 20s in the Dallas/Arlington area this morning. Upper 30s down here in Houston. "

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/ A lot of Texas is cool today!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

"Tomorrow morning's freeze should the worst of it. Duration will be longer than this morning then it's a good go aside from outlying areas on Weds. Mentioned this in the spring thread, warming up for wxman later this week and into a wetter pattern. Can't discount an April frost for some places as the AO remains negative and far north still well below normal, but gardening season should be able to get going full force soon."

as per http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=112723&p=2302211#p2302211

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

next 2-3 nights will be even colder

Arlington, TX

Tomorrow is supposed to be cold but I had no frost today as far as I can tell. Tuesday is listed as being warmer?
C

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

No ice on my birdbath last night.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It was 30 here this morning, I covered the most delicate plants, those that are very small and the milkweed.
The rest are all fine uncovered, I hope this is over soon.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

About 5 hours north of you 21* here,they say one more cold night then back into the 40's at night here and 70's rest of the week

Fort Worth, TX

According to the NOAA it got to 31 for 3 hours, then dropped to 28 at 7:48 am, then back up. I don't see any damage on stuff I didn't cover,but I'm not uncovering my fragiles.

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

Current weather prediction is showing 28 for tonight.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This morning was 35F here. My soil temperature was 50F.
I did cover the tomatoes and the cucumbers ... all the blankets I have ...
Tomatoes are looking good and I actually think they are enjoying this weather ... I know it seems strange ... but I never had so beautiful green leaves and such a thick stem ... My plants have been out since February 16th ... I think they are used to some chill ... but I am still worry ...
Strangely the cucumbers look good too! I might have lost 2 plants (they are both too close to the edges ... I will be really surprised if they will survive after tonight !

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I only covered my tomatoes. Everything else can handle the cold. I just didn't want my babies to die! LOL

Fort Worth, TX

I am not uncovering today, the flowers I have covered are only cold-hard to 40 degrees, a day under a blanket won't hurt them.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I started a bunch of stuff inside and it really should be potted up--stems are getting REALLY stretched. OTOH I would be scouring the yard for one or two crocus back north. Yes, Cheryl, 40* is awesome in Feb-March, but I'm still going to wait a week or two before sun-bathing!

Red Oak, TX

Amazingly, I have resisted the urge to put anything in the ground yet. I did start unloading the greenhouses a couple of weeks ago -- just some of the new seedlings of milkweed, dill, parsley, etc. I moved them all back in Sunday. I heard a newscaster say this was winter's last gasp. My response to the television? "Die, already!" I'm ready for warm weather! ((Be sure to remind me of this statement when I start complaining in August.))

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They wait until August to roll out the really hot weather? No.

Arlington, TX

NO~! It can be hot as ...way before August. I wish.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

It's was 30 here this AM supposed to be lower tommorrow AM, close to freezing in town Wed AM, that means a freeze here. My stuff is staying covered, it will be fine. So glad I haven't planted out yet, this is unusually cold.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Doing my best to save my tomato transplants. Grew these things from seed starting in January. I don't want to lose them now!

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Pretty garden lights. Sittin in Big Cabin, Ok- dry here, bright moon, short sleeve weather at 28* simply because there is no wind.Check dew points and it will tell you if there was frost at dawn. I dont think there was.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks so pretty, Stephanie! I put down some sheets and put plastic back up on my hoops. They are talking 31 here tonight, and we tend to always be a couple degrees warmer than whatever the weatherman says, but I will sleep better tonight, knowing my plants are also going to sleep a little warmer.

Red Oak, TX

Hope your tomato plants made it through the night, Stephanie. I know that protective feeling -- I've got a bunch I grew from seed, too. They're going in the ground on Wednesday. 32 here this morning...so far.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

29 here this morning, I am sooo ready for warmer weather!!!

Fort Worth, TX

got down to 26 last night, hard ice on the dog's water, but up to 29 already. It was down 4 hours. If it was tender and freezeable, it froze. I covered the main lot of tender plants and the geenhouse is fine.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

37F here this morning.
Covered my tomatoes with all the blankets I own. I worry and I don't ... my tomatoes have been out for more than a month ... even with 32F out there.
They are the best plants I ever grew ... let's see how they will produce ...
The rest of the garden is just fine ... Irises blooming and new roses are starting to blossom: Soleil d'Or and Abraham Darby.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful! When you say your tomatoes are "the best plants you ever grew" how do you mean? Healthier plants, different cultivar, different method?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry carrielamont, my English is not the best.
I try to explain.
This is my fifth year that I am growing tomatoes in DFW. I am a "fearless" gardener and I always transplant tomatoes out mid February.
This year has been colder than the past 5 years (in my opinion). I had to cover my tomatoes for multiple nights ... they survived 32F and heavy winds.
The plants are amazing (soon you will see pictures) : thick stems and beautiful green leaves ... because I think they put themself in a "survivor" mode ... to be able to live in this condition.

We will see if I am right !!

Arlington, TX

I didn't cover anything so I will see how things look when I get home today. Sort of scary...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images