Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: What made this type of... home?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
begleysm
Kennesaw, GA

March 24, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9460603

I was searching for the source of some ants in my kitchen and decided to remove a couple outlet covers to see if they were coming from one of them. The 1st one I popped open had the strangest stuff inside: a ton of little brown and black balls (along with the carcasses of a couple insect that appear to be very old). The balls that appear to be floating are actually caught in cobwebs.

I don't think this was done by a mouse or anything similar as the only entrances into that enclosure are about the diameter of my pinkie.

The outlet 18" away had nothing in it.

Any idea where this stuff came from or what it is?

Thanks,
Sean

Thumbnail by begleysm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 25, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9460890

Look at some of these under magnification. If they seem to have longitudinal ridges (see http://cals.arizona.edu/yavapai/diagnostics/Assets/Images/Insects/drywoodtermitefrass.jpg) they could be frass (fecal pellets) of drywood termites.
begleysm
Kennesaw, GA

March 25, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9461534

I'll check that out when I get home.

According to the size reference here (http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1232/#damage) I think my pellets are way too big. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sean

This message was edited Mar 25, 2013 3:56 PM
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 25, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9461594

The objects do look more like insect droppings of some kind than anything else I can think of. Can you get a clearer close-up image of a couple of them?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America