Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Is this parsley or just a weed?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 24, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
socalmeli
Alhambra, CA

March 24, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9460754

I found this robust guy growing in my garden today...I thought it looked kind of like parsley but it doesn't have a strong odor. Thoughts?

Thumbnail by socalmeli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9460775

Looks like Cilantro.
socalmeli
Alhambra, CA

March 24, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9460780

I thought it did a bit too, but it doesn't really smell like cilantro.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9460786

It doesn't look like cilantro to me... more like Italian parsley (both of which I have growing now). It does look like a plant in the Apiaceae family... so be very cautious. Some of these plants are very tasty edibles and other are extremely toxic. Do you remember planting parsley previously in the area in which this plant is growing? If so, does it smell/taste like parsley? If not, I'd recommend not eating it, just to be cautious. Parsley seeds are readily available and easy to grow in cool, early spring conditions.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9460787

Try tasting a bit of it to see.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9460811

Do not try tasting unknown plants in this family. Some are deadly.

Looks like the flat leafed Italian Parsley, or perhaps Celery or Celeriac. If you know you did not plant any of these, then I would remove the plant, and dig it up thoroughly to be sure of getting the root.
dojustdat
Baltimore, MD

March 30, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9466633

Looks like chinese celery.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9466833

I have a problem here. When I click for a closeup, it brings up a different picture from a different post. Is your pic the small one that looks like an oak seedling or the closeup that looks like cilantro?

Nevermind - the problem was at my end.

If it was in the garden, do you mean veggie garden? What did you plant that looks like that? Edibles are parsley, carrots (both biennials which winter over, cilantro (fast growing annual that seeds back - that is what it looks like), celery, celery root, parcel, dill and fennel (which don't look like your picture).

Flowers are Queen Anne's Lace and some others.

Poison (the reason you shouldn't taste it if in doubt) are Hemlock and Water Hemlock - usually found in drainage areas - are you near one?

It does look like Cilantro.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2013 2:09 PM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9467038

A single leaflet is enough to judge the taste. Even if it is hemlock (spotted, hollow stem) that is not enough to harm you even if you don't spit it out after tasting.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9467041

Ditto to Greenthumb - a taste test of a small leaflet isn't going to be harmful. And if it is one of the toxic species, it'll taste foul so you'll spit it out right away.

Resin
Indilwen
Hamilton
New Zealand

March 30, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9467046

I would be very weary also. It looks very similar to my parcel plant which is a cross between celery and parsley but has a very distinct aroma of celery and parsley... Take care with this plant...if you did not plant it then I also suggest you dig it out and throw it away..
dojustdat
Baltimore, MD

March 30, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9467177

All you have to do is do a smell test. Just take a stem and squish it. If it doesn't smell like celery then you can subtract it from your list.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9469236

I would recommend crush and smell over taste test.
Hemlock has the reputation of being the most poisonous plant in the U.S.A - even in small amounts.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9469448

WHat are the odds that cultivated sp such as parsley would just show up in a garden? Seems very rare to me.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9470088

Thought I would provide some information on the amount of Poison Hemlock to produce death in animals. I don't have figures for humans for fresh plant material since figures for humans are generally given in terms of the active alkaloids as pure chemicals.

The lethal dose for a horse is 3-5 kg (about 6-11 pounds) fresh plants;
for pigs, it is 8-13 grams per kilo bodyweight (11/2 to 31/2 pounds for a 220 lb. pig);
for cows, 5.3 gram of fresh plants per kilo bodyweight(About 3lbs for a small cow);
for sheep, 10 gram fresh plants per kilo bodyweight (About 1 pound for a 110 lb. sheep)

Assuming human tolerances to be similar, half a pound of fresh plant or more will produce death in humans. The purpose of this information is not to encourage consumption of this plant, but rather to give some perspective to the hazard of tasting and spitting out a small piece of leaf.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9470201

I have never known anyone killed by Hemlock.
There are anecdotal stories of Hemlock being poison in small amounts - used as parsley in a sandwich, hollow stem used for "pea-shooter" or whistle.
I knew someone who died from eating rhubarb leaves, so I am cautious.
I don't think the pic looks like Hemlock, so I wouldn't be concerned UNLESS there was hemlock growing nearby.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
3:32 AM

Post #9470408

pollengarden wrote:
I have never known anyone killed by Hemlock.

And I only know of one case, and that was Socrates, 2400 years ago.

Resin

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9471602

And since Socrates drank his poison, who knows how much he used to brew it! But it was obviously a known poison even then.

The reference to "pea-shooters" and whistles came from "Colorado Flora, Eastern Slope" by William Weber.

The reference to the mistaken for Parsley (or cress?) Sandwich came from "Wicked Plants" by Amy Stewart .

Bear Grylls did a survival show that aired here for a while. There was an episode set in Idaho? Montana? where he pointed out Hemlock (or a look-alike) and remarked that his Survival INSTRUCTOR had died from eating it.
Lupala
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2013
12:51 AM

Post #9490375

Actually - some of the illnesses are attributed to people who hear the rumor that you can smoke it to get a cheap high. Annd there are many plants and seeds that are FAR more toxic than poison hemlock - let alone houseplants/tropicals (like gloriosa lily)

Here is a good link on toxic plants - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9490979

Good list.
Amazing how many commonly grown plants, - including food plants! - are poisonous.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9491048

According to that list I've got lots of poisonous plants in my flower beds. Hope my dog doesn't decide to eat any of them. She does eat apple cores when Ifinish up with them. I assume she is eating the seeds too. Guess thats out the window now.

Thanks for all the info.

Bonnie

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9492944

You have to be a little careful with dogs - especially young ones that chew indiscriminately. Did you notice that it lists alliums (onions, garlic) as bad for dogs, too? Add Tylenol, chocolate, raisins, and salt. Sometimes dogs get away with eating things that should have killed them. As a kid I had a puppy that survived Decon (warfarin) poisoning, and grew up to eat & survive glass marbles - some of which we think she chewed first.
Most wild animals can "smell" the poison component, and won't even taste the plant. I have trouble with deer chewing my apple & pear trees, but they won't touch the peach leaves. But I have known bears to eat things they shouldn't and then vomit them back up (raw beans, concentrated tea syrup with too much tannin)
Insects are another matter - If there is an insect that is named after the plant (eg Potato beetle, Cucumber beetle) because that is its host and one of very few pests that eat that plant - It usually means that the plant is at least mildly poisonous and that insect is immune to it.

If the plant in the original photo was Cilantro, it probably blooming by now. Cilantro is a fast-growing short-lived thing.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9520152

Pollengarden- When you say that cilantro "seeds back," does that mean that I won't have to replant it next year? I am starting some cilantro from seeds in a planter on my deck. (I love fresh guacamole and thought this would be a nice thing to have on hand for summer.) I'm not sure if it matters if it is in a container versus the ground. I have never grown herbs or veggies of any kind, just flowering plants and my citrus trees. Thanks!

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9520630

Dill definitely seeds back in my yard. Cilantro may seed back, but hasn't so far for me. Both are short lived and need to be succession sown (sown every few weeks in small batches) to have fresh herbs at the right stage all season long. The leaves and Seed heads of both are used as seasoning - I prefer the leaves in season, I figure that is the point of growing it.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9520712

Thank you for the succession tip. I will make sure to plant in spurts. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America