Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Any strawberry bread recipes?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 6, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9461291

Spring is here & I've got lots of strawberries! I'm looking for a good strawberry nut bread recipe, similar to banana nut bread. I did a web search & came across several recipes, but the comments all said something like add more strawberries or add less sugar. I'm looking for a tried & true recipes so I don't mess up my delicious strawberries. Anyone have one?
Jo-Ann
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9463416

jomoncon, my mother made strawberry bread loaves every year to include in her Christmas boxes to her children. The box also usually included bourbon bread, lemon squares, peanut brittle and Chex seasoned cereal mix. Then I would send my box with chocolate turtles, toffee and divinity. We were pretty well prepared for holiday entertaining. Here is her recipe for the strawberry bread. You can substitute fresh strawberries for the whole ones. When I use fresh berries I macerate them a bit with balsamic vinegar and sugar before adding to this recipe.

STRAWBERRY BREAD

3 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
2 C sugar...
Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.

2 (10-oz) pkg frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
4 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 C cooking oil
1 1/4 C chopped pecans...
Mix and combine in a separate bowl. Pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Stir all together carefully, just enough to dampen all ingredients.

Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in preheated oven for one hour or until done. Test with toothpick or thermometer to be sure the center is cooked through.

Serve warm or wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and store in fridge or freeze for later use.

This is especially good sliced thick, buttered on top and toasted under the broiler. Makes a great breakfast addition.

I love strawberry bread! It will forever remind me of my mom.

~ pen
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9463577

pen, thanks so very much for the recipe. I'll give it a try today.

My Mom passed away 2 years ago, and there are certain recipes that remind me so much of her. When she passed, there were certain pots she had that I really wanted just because those pots held so many memories.

Jo-Ann
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9464733

pen, I tried your recipe yesterday & it came out great!! This will be my goto Strawberry Bread recipe from now on.
Jo-Ann
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9465265

Jo-Ann, thanks for the followup. I am so glad my mom's recipe turned out well for you. It sounds like you are going to be making this often. Maybe go over to Amazon and get one of Nordic's molded loaf pans. I got my daughter the one with the banana tree mold, and I have the one called a bundt fancy loaf pan...but I found it on another site for a lot less $$$. Can't remember the site--I just googled and found it, but here's what it looks like. It really makes sweet loaves look special.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Anordic+loaf+pan&page=2&keywords=nordic+loaf+pan&ie=UTF8&qid=1364511525
I, too, lost my mother two years ago. How sweet that she will live on in your kitchen along with your mom memories.

We have a go-to recipe thread going. Guess I will cross post this recipe there. Did you use 20 ounces of fresh strawberries? Did you use them fresh or macerated? ~pen
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9465572

pen, I used 20 oz. (by weight) fresh strawberries. Because they weren't terribly sweet, I crushed them & macerated with half the sugar. Mistake I did make: your recipe calls for just baking soda, but out of habit, I added a teaspoon of baking powder also. I also used my own backyard chicken eggs that make everything extra special! I also baked it in small loaf pans, about 5x3, so that I could freeze the extras. Made about 10 of those.

Those nordic pans look really nice and I'd love to have one. But on a retiree's income, we've had to cut back on some of the "nice" stuff. I'm still trying to convince DH that we just can't buy every/anything that catches the eye. So we're both on a $100 per month "allowance" for personal things. I'd rather buy garden stuff.
Jo-Ann

This message was edited Mar 29, 2013 4:39 AM
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9466003

The 5x3 pans sound great. I love the crust on these loaves, and the small pans will give you even more. Hmmm...maybe I am the one who needs to shop for more pans. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America