-
AuthorContent
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9461317

Okay everybody I have maybe a stupid question but here goes. My Father passed away in 2002. He had ordered all his garden seed that spring but never got a chance to use them. My mother gave them to me and I have kept them all these years in a dry spot but never used any. I came across them and when I opened the tomato seeds- they have a pink coating (coloring) on them. I am pretty sure this is a good sign. They are hybrids. would this coating keep them a viable seed all these years and what of the beans, cukes etc? Would they be any good or should I just toss them? If there is a possibility they are still good, I will waste the time and seed starter soil on them. If not then- sayonara- or will wait for heat and try outside. Thanks for any help. Sandra

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9461462

Hmm, 11 years.

I know that I would try some - dry storage gives them a better chance. Certainly I'd try any seeds that are unusual or expensive, like tomato seeds. But I like to fiddle.

Do you really need 80% germination?

You could save on the amount of seed-start-mix by sprouting on coffee filters or paper towels. Only sow the ones that sprout. This also leverages the idea of pre-soaking any seed to make it sprout faster and more reliably (even small ones without a tough coat). Lots of people do that on a paper towel inside a plastic baggie, but I have a stack of nesting glass b owls that I use.

Label the coffee filter before wetting it! Or mark a small piece of white plastic with a pencil and drop that in the bowl. If it's shaped like a small stake, you can re-use it to label the row of cells.

>> beans, cukes etc?

Here is one list of "seed viability". However, I notice online that people keep posting that they got "pretty good germination" with crop seeds 10 or 20 years old, even stored under terrible conditions.

http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm

mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 26, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9462473

Thanks Rick I think you are right. I'll try them this summer outside but I would imagine most are toast now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America