AuthorContent
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9461372

Hi guys,

I know a lot of you are pretty innovative when it comes to using old things. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything, I was hoping you all could give me some ideas? My fiances GM died about a year ago and she has an old swing set frame that his mother doesn't want and she asked me if I did. I was thinking I could paint it (it's pretty beat up) and maybe use it for hanging plants? A hammock with vines? Or something? Any ideas? Pictures?

I wish I got a chance to snap a picture. It's older (really sturdy) and low. The top bar is maybe 5 feet? No swing. This is a picture I found on Google, it looks almost the same.

Thumbnail by WelcomeGnome
Click the image for an enlarged view.

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9461544

This would make a great A frame for growing beans or cucumbers.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 25, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9461557

I agree with froggymon. I had seen this with string or bamboo.

Belle
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 25, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9461560

I would say hanging plants is nice, so it the use for planting pole beans or other vine. You could also use it as a frame for an arbor like DavidofDeland did with ladders. Make it a gateway to your backyard, garden or wherever.

I like the idea of a hammock but if it is sturdy then hang a porch swing from it. This is my favorite idea and what I would do if I had othe frame like this and then set it under a tree for shade. Perfect on a hot summer day - especially if you don't have a porch on which to hang a swing.

Another idea that is totally different is to use it over a fire pit to hang cast iron cookware from and cook. Like this -

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-campfire-cook-set.aspx?a=1162294

Of course, with a small motor you could hook up some gears and chain and make a spit big enough for the whole hog!!
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9462423

Thank you for all of the ideas. I have yet to get into any kind of veggies, that will be a while down the road. Not until I get everything landscaped and even iffy then. I don't know yet if they are for me.

Arbors and that type of thing are out as well. My HOA is pretty strict and wouldn't like it. We can't even have sheds that show above our fence line. The grape arbor that my fiance is building is going to have to be kind of hid and not viewable from the street. I'm only making it a smidge higher than the fence line and towards the side so that it is more out of sight.

LTP, that is more where I was going. I had thought about a swing but haven't seen any nice affordable nice ones. However, maybe I can suck up the cost and just do it. I don't have any trees that provide shade but maybe I could put it under the arbor, or find some type of shade I could hook to the top of it? I was just curious if anyone had seen these repurposed and if they could look nice. I'll post a picture I guess when I decide what to do with it. Thanks again!

I forgot to add that imagining a large pig roasting on it had me laughing pretty heartily.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2013 9:13 AM
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9462515

And this is why I would never live in an HOA.
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9462594

Agreed Frogy, it is occasionally a headache. They have their perks and their drawbacks. So far I haven't had any really big issues with them (we'll see about that when it comes time for renovation and I have to ask their permission).
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 26, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9462604

Oh I agree with Frogy too - no HOA for me. The gooberment has enough rules and regs I don't want to sign up for more. LOL

Yep Gnome that was my intention to make you laugh but hey, I must admit I have built a large spit from car parts that worked quite well. So it's really a "near fetched" idea.

Here is a link to an idea for your shade -

http://www.target.com/p/3-person-patio-swing-with-adjustable-canopy/-/A-12210845?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C12210845&CPNG=Patio+Garden&kpid=12210845&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=12210845

You can just search 'covered swing' and see lots of ideas - this one seems easy enough to make though.

Keep us updated!

Debbie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9462668

My world is so NOT hoa. ( notice I put hoa in not capitol letters) However its beautiful to me and many others!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 26, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9463043

What is HOA?? .
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9463176

Home Owners Association. They regulate what you can and can't do in your subdivision. Sometimes the rules are pretty lax and other times they are so extreme it's ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowner_association

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9464830

My first thought was peas or beans too.
that would make me crazy living by their rules, bad enough there are township/county and state rules

Will they even let you put an old swing set frame like that in your yard?

You can make it a bird feeding station(are you allowed to feed the birds?)
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 28, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9464841

We used our old swing set after my DH removed stuff to make it look like yours as a bird feeding station. We hung different types of feeders on it the birds loved it until it finally rusted out.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2013 9:14 AM
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9465119

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'm going to go take another look at it and decide then. She has some irises that I'm going to go dig up and take a few so I'll give it a thorough looksee when I'm there. I'm now unsure whether or not I want to put it in my yard. I don't want to take something that I won't use. If anything, I am leaning more towards a plant stand, I just don't want to waste a lot of room with it. But if I paint it, it could look pretty, right?

@Ajen. I have a privacy fence so it wouldn't be an issue. I can feed birds as well, I've only just started that this past summer. I can't believe I wasn't into it for the longest time, go figure! :D I even have a pretty big naked lady in my front yard with only her goodies covered and no one has ever said anything, lol.

@LTP my fiance informed me that he bought a swing for my grape arbor. I'm stoked! I thought some chairs were going to go under it. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Royal-Tahiti-Yellow-Balau-Hardwood-Curved-back-Three-seater-Swing/5072912/product.html

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9471081

HOA..hoa's...just another way to control your life. That's why I live wayyyyyyyyyyy out in the country.
To the post at hand...great for hanging plants...and you can move it as necessary through out the year depending on sun requirements. And you can cover it...win win.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 25, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9497106

I would grow gourds on it.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9503375

Hey WG, I use an old swing frame to hang my very large orchid cactus on. They have such long sprawling, arching leaves (?) that are not easy to hang just anywhere. Oh! What would be neat is to hang a group of plants at different levels. You could get a lot on there that way. If you could get a clematis or something to run on it and have plants hanging too, that would be awesome! But don't use a super invasive like honeysuckle, unless you just want to. Well, another thought is to get your fiance (sorry, bad memory for names) to add something to the top rail (metal, wood, wire) that will create a wider area for a vine to cover (be sure to plant both sides) and put a bench or swing under it. In that case, you might want a strong vine like honeysuckle or confederate jasmine, but look out all around it.
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9504511

Confederate jasmine isn't invasive, right? I also just bought some fragrant cloud honeysuckle. Can you not watch it and tend to it or is it still an issue?

Thanks for the ideas though!

This message was edited May 1, 2013 4:26 PM
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9505142

Confederate jasmine is not highly invasive like wisteria or honeysuckle, but over time it will spread. But as long as you watch and destroy anything out of place any of them will work fine. I would think the honeysuckle or confederate jasmine would be your best choice.
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9505163

I've decided to get it. I think I'm going to try to incorporate a couple of ideas (plant stand, vine arbor, bird feeders) and see what I come up with. If worse comes to worse I can just remove it with no harm done. But I think at least I'll give it a shot. :)
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9505960

Go girl! It's a shame to ignore the potential of something that can become garden art. I have a lot of things laying around here with potential. One day.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9522449

Hey found a couple of pictures for your fence. These you can make.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9523823

Elfie, those are so CUTE!!! hummmm... wonder where I can get some old ceiling fans to take apart??

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9523854

I know of a junk shop near me that sells them for$3.00 a bundle. I thought I might get some and try this.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9523876

WOW! What a great idea. Those truly are one of the cutest ideas I've seen a long while.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 17, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9523912

I'm all for a porch swing on that frame, All the other ideas are great, and I love those "bugs" with ceiling fan wings. Have too many things on my to do list that I'll never get done. Just wish my imagination worked!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America