Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Will my Kale get any uglier?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
captKirkS
Jackson, MS

March 25, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9461382

I'm totally new to Kale and just saw them at Lowe's and snapped them up as a great filler between my individual shrubs for the Winter. They were tiny 2 pint plants a few months ago and have grow exponentially! Now that the warm weather and lots of sun is here, they are growing large stems at the top with flowers. Although I like the flowers, I think the stems are ugly.

My questions are:
1) are the stems permanent?
2) should I expect them to get much taller than the 17 inches they are now?
3) can I trim the ugly pink stems back to the main part of the plant without harming it?
4) are they heat/humidity proof? (It get's brutally hot here in Mississippi during the Summer and they will get 6+ hours of full sun during the day.)

Thumbnail by captKirkS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9461389

Your kale is flowering. It's called 'bolting.' You can cut it off or leave it, it's up to you. I don't know if the plant dies after it bolts.
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

March 27, 2013
11:39 PM

Post #9464601

Keep your kale plants well watered. Along with cool temperatures, moist soil helps keep kale leaves sweet and crisp, rather than tough and bitter. Side dressing throughout the growing season with compost or feeding with fish emulsion will keep your kale growing. Mulch is important to keep the ground cool.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9465471

Flowering Kale (grown for decorative leaves) will die after flowering.
They are great winter color, but as the days lengthen and warm in the spring they finish their life cycle. If you had cut off the flower stems when they first showed up you might have continued growing them a bit longer.
This plant is edible, but once it starts going to flower the leaves are tough and bitter.

It is time to move on to summer annuals!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 2, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9469912

Kale either green or curly kale are like all this family, cabbages, sprouts ect are all winter / cool weather vegetables and at this time of year, in your zone, the heat tells them their growing season is over and time to set seeds for re-production, the leaves will be too tough and bitter to eat now,

Next time you wish to grow these type of greens, then choose the coolest months, add as much manures /compost to your soil to help add nutrients, air and water retention to the soil, BUT add this stuff months before you want these plants to grow as they do prefer a soil that in newly had manure added.
Therefore adding manure a while before wont harm them, they do need a lot of moisture and a cooler growing time, we grow these here in UK as a winter / spring Veg and we don't get anywhere near as hot as your climate gives out.
Good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America