Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Just wondering what kind of spider this is..

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Alkalikitty
Victoria
Canada

March 25, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9461784

I recently found this guy lurking near a small window in my basement. He is larger (for me anyway and about the size of a toonie) and doesn't seem to go too far away from there but he stays rather high up so it is a little difficult to get a good picture. I thought at first it was a wolf spider since I know we get a few here (BC Canada) but I didn't think that they live in webs.. but I have attached a picture. If anyone could please help me with what type this is that would be awesome thanks.

Thumbnail by Alkalikitty   Thumbnail by Alkalikitty   Thumbnail by Alkalikitty
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 26, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9462147

One possibility is a house spider in the genus Tegenaria, but these usually make a sheet web with a tunnel0like retreat built in - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Tegenaria_gigantea.jpg
See if you can take a clearer image...
Alkalikitty
Victoria
Canada

March 26, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9463133

At the moment This is the best picture I can get. He seems to like the shadier part of the window rather than be in the light. Also is it possible that he might have taken to a previously made web? We tend to have quite a bit of spiders in our house at times so the basement has quite a few cobwebs.
I will definitely try to get a picture of him when he if in front of the window so I can be on equal level with him.

Thumbnail by Alkalikitty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

March 26, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9463143

It does appear to be in the family Agelenidae, which includes the genus Tegenaria as well as grass spiders. Neither are dangerous to humans.
Alkalikitty
Victoria
Canada

March 26, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9463208

Thank you. as long as it poses no threat to my family and I.. That was my main concern.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America